True Weight?!

Started by Kodonnelllaw, March 02, 2015, 09:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodonnelllaw

I am struck every year by the size difference in wrestlers.

Leon seems huge compared to Bird.
Gundrum was a monster compared to Hakes.
Glover having to forfeit into 6th place because he was TOO LOW in weight (didn't weigh 187 in 220).

This is not a slap against any of these wrestlers or weight cutting. If anything it just shows their discipline. I would be curious to see what they weigh prior to the match. Not asking to change anything. Not on a soapbox about cutting. Just curious.

Largest size difference seen by others?

boowrestle

JMO,personally I thought both Leon and Bird looked like real big 132lbers.
you can run but you cannot hide.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: boowrestle on March 02, 2015, 09:59:49 AM
JMO,personally I thought both Leon and Bird looked like real big 132lbers.

Leon looked bigger than Lee, he looked like a 145, then again they can weigh 137 and then pack on a few during the day so might have been over 140... being that KK's singlets look like they are painted on might make a difference as well.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Dale Einerson

Couple comments:

1) If I am not mistaken, the weigh-ins for the finals take place Saturday morning in the midst of the consolation side of the bracket, so those in the finals have a lot of time to put weight on and many have big meals for breakfast and lunch; hydrate big time.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Would seem that those that cut the most could conceivably put the most on by evening, whereas if a kid in the finals is not a big cutter, they typically wouldn't put as much size on throughout the day.

2) I heard it dozens and dozens of times, my 152 pound Senior, that weighed in for his championship match at 149 because he didn't cut an ounce, was noticeably bigger than everybody he wrestled.  Had college coaches say to me they couldn't believe how big he was at 174 or 184.  Seems to me some kids are just built that way...

wrestlinglife1

Robert weighs between 137-140 everyday. He wrestled Bird and Leon all summer. They are both the same size, within 3lb of each other. Was an awesome match and going to be an awesome rematch Friday.

Muscles pop in tight singlets! Ha ;D

Big Deeds

I know this will never happen but matside weigh ins would level the playing field one scale at each mat two in the warm up areas. If your worried about holding your weight move up a weight class.

wrestlinglife1

Where is the LIKE button on this thing?

Kodonnelllaw

Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on March 02, 2015, 10:15:04 AM
Robert weighs between 137-140 everyday. He wrestled Bird and Leon all summer. They are both the same size, within 3lb of each other. Was an awesome match and going to be an awesome rematch Friday.

I vote that if Leon wins at Team State there be a required rubber match... not because I think Bird didn't deserve the win (or vice versa), but because it was awesome wrestling and I would love to see more of it. :) Good luck to both...

boowrestle

Take lee and shorten him down to Leon's height and robert would look hugh too.Leon's build will make him look hugh no matter what wt he is at,i can still remember when he was at 106 and looked absolutly huge compared to the rest in the bracket.
you can run but you cannot hide.

CoachZ

Quote from: Kodonnelllaw on March 02, 2015, 09:53:14 AM
I am struck every year by the size difference in wrestlers.

Leon seems huge compared to Bird.
Gundrum was a monster compared to Hakes.
Glover having to forfeit into 6th place because he was TOO LOW in weight (didn't weigh 187 in 220).

This is not a slap against any of these wrestlers or weight cutting. If anything it just shows their discipline. I would be curious to see what they weigh prior to the match. Not asking to change anything. Not on a soapbox about cutting. Just curious.

Largest size difference seen by others?

In Glovers case, I guess he shouldn't have jumped up to 220.

Street Glide

Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on March 02, 2015, 10:15:04 AM

I'm not buying Leon is about the same size as Lee (137-140).   JMO Leon probably gets to 160 in off season.  He has the drive and ability to suck down, works for him, fun kid to watch on the mat.  Will be fun again next week.

ramjet

differences in soft tissue density has much to do with appearance

wrestle84

watertower

Cutting weight may not be healthy and it may give an edge to some but the option is there for everyone. It also teaches a little self discipline and builds character.

wrestle03

I can only imagine the individual battles and one on one grappling at Camp Leon.  The majority of kids now days are lazy and un-willing to put in the hard work necessary to be a champion.  The Lee's, the Leon's and the rest are examples that hard work pays off.