Jan. 30 is Wayne 'Stubby' Stapleford Night in Wisconsin Dells

Started by TomM, January 21, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Jan. 30 is Wayne 'Stubby' Stapleford Night in  Wisconsin Dells
http://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsindellsevents/sports/high-school/wrestling/article_333fe22c-91c7-5179-b1d7-3d10108aa61b.html

The Wisconsin Dells High School wrestling team is holding Wayne "Stubby" Stapleford  Night on Thursday, Jan. 30, when the Chiefs host Nekoosa in a South Central Conference dual meet at Wisconsin Dells High School.

Stapleford, an assistant coach for the Chiefs wrestling program, will be retiring at the end of the season, his 14th season with the program. Friends and fans of the program are invited to come out and celebrate everything Stapleford has done for the Chiefs and the high school athletic department the past 14 years.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

tbone

Stubby was head coach in the early 80's. So I think he's been with the program longer than 14 yrs.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Handles II

I've know Stubby on a limited basis for about 8-9 years, talk to him when I see him. I've been able to watch him coach and hear him talk in the WI Dells room a few times. Good stuff. From his former athletes and the coaches he has worked with I hear nothing but praise.

Enjoy Retirement Stubby, you've done a ton for the wrestling community.