Why hasn't the banana splits been ......

Started by whatever, January 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: whatever on January 22, 2014, 07:52:20 AM
I agree, Chuck.

Just so we're all clear - there is a huge difference between a banana split and a spladle.

In a spladle, the near leg is wrapping the opponent's near leg and the near arm is the one wrapping the other leg.  While a spladle is certainly not pleasant, at least the shoulders are be forced to the mat in this move.

In a banana split, the far leg is intertwined in the opponents' near leg and the far arm is used to wrap the opponent's other leg.  Now, when you take the opponent to his back, there is absolutely no pressure on his shoulders and the only reason his shoulders go to the mat is because of the pain involved.

Submission hold - plain and simple.

I was not saying the Spladle was the Banana Split I just mentioned to say it is very uncomfortable. Just so I am clear.

Out of Nowhere

Quote from: bigG on January 21, 2014, 07:26:22 PM
:) Tell me how that works out for ya.

Worked out pretty well for my career.

I personally think that bringing a banana split or spladle to the point that it induces a large amount of pain is a decision made by the wrestler performing the move.  In the dozens of spladles I've done I only remember a single time where it caused noticable physical pain (as I screwed up and was trying to make it tighter to pin him instead of adjusting my body).  The same goes for the splits to a lesser extent.  You can work the splits towards a fall without having to cause outrageous pain if you know how to work the move and are working for the fall instead of working towards pain.  More often than not I see wrestlers take more enjoyment in the pain of the move rather than trying to get the fall from it, which is where we run into this dilemma in my opinion.