When should a pin be called

Started by Easy, January 19, 2014, 07:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: Spartan on January 20, 2014, 10:25:45 AM
I know ram. But we are using video review at the D1level for big ten matches it is cool but does have limitations

Well one thing for sure it would take up some time and allow those matches with allot FF last longer........ ;)

imnofish

I've seen pins called that I thought were bogus; then, saw them verified on film from a different angle.  Not saying that validates the adaptation of instant replay.  Instead, it shows how much better view officials have than fans and coaches usually do.  Nobody's perfect, but the odds of being correct are definitely skewed in their favor.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Quack

Next thing will be the refs will be running around with Go-Pros on them so they can get that angle again.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

chuckref

I would like to see the refs move up into the stands because obviously the fans have a better view of pins from way up in the bleachers. ;D

Chuck

Quack

Quote from: chuckref on January 20, 2014, 02:48:12 PM
I would like to see the refs move up into the stands because obviously the fans have a better view of pins from way up in the bleachers. ;D

Chuck

Or at least to a chair next to one of the teams coaches. Or in an opposite corner?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

Ghetto

Quote from: Quack on January 20, 2014, 02:52:14 PM

Chuck

Or at least to a chair next to one of the teams coaches. Or in an opposite corner?

Right!!!! I can see pins from 35 feet away so much better than the guy right on top of the action.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Chuck

That is hilarious................... ;D

MantyWrestler

I think it would be easier for all involved (except the guy getting pinned) if it were 90 degrees for near fall and a touch pin.
Jack Youngchild
Manitowoc Lincoln

imnofish

Chuck

+1   ;D  I should explain that I have had the privilege to be a college wrestler's child, wrestler, ref, coach, parent of a wrestler, and a fan; so I've experienced the sport from a lot of different perspectives.  The longer I've been around, the more I realize how wrong I've been.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigoil

Quote from: Spartan on January 20, 2014, 08:45:29 AM
Quote from: Quack on January 19, 2014, 09:48:15 PM
Quote from: kneeslide on January 19, 2014, 09:29:04 PM
Too many coaches and fans believe a fall is as soon as they shoulders come in contact with the mat.

So do some refs

Be nice Quack some officials can't count to two

Spartan,

How often are you in position to catch the two seconds right away, my guess is quite a bit.

How often have you been seeing video overturn the call made? Do you use a similar criteria to football in that the evidence has to be conclusive to overturn, not conclusive the call stands and call is confirmed? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Spartan

Spartan,

How often are you in position to catch the two seconds right away, my guess is quite a bit.

How often have you been seeing video overturn the call made? Do you use a similar criteria to football in that the evidence has to be conclusive to overturn, not conclusive the call stands and call is confirmed? Sorry for the barrage of questions.
[/quote]

Yes It has to be conclusive, I have had calls confirmed, and had challenges won and lost, One against Minnesota last year, I couldnt believe that I missed the locked hands, as did the assistant, but on the video it was plain as day. The nice thing with the video review is that I can go and look at it if I feel I missed something.

neutral

Chuck

You joke - and a better view from the stands ... it is not - but I'd argue that many pins are more properly viewed from several feet back from the action ... rather than the ref trying to get his face right into the action (which I see happening all the time).
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

bigG

I think it should be closer to the pros:" ONE.........TWO....................KICK OUT!"

That way the guy is really pinned.

Seriously I think we discussed the two seconds and the fact that, a pin can be called after the buzzer. You count to two, then slap the mat. The mat is usually slapped on 3 (or a little short of it). Fans get all dizzy if that pin sticks (pardon the pun) though. One, two, buzzer, slap! I much prefer a quick slap; but a stout one that reverberates a bit. ;D
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

chuckref

Quote from: neutral on January 21, 2014, 03:28:03 PM

Chuck

You joke - and a better view from the stands ... it is not - but I'd argue that many pins are more properly viewed from several feet back from the action ... rather than the ref trying to get his face right into the action (which I see happening all the time).

You are right and it takes time to learn this.  Sometimes you need to back off so you can see under there.

Chuck

imnofish

Quote from: chuckref on January 22, 2014, 07:17:39 AM
Quote from: neutral on January 21, 2014, 03:28:03 PM

Chuck

You are right and it takes time to learn this.  Sometimes you need to back off so you can see under there.

Chuck

Refs should get periscopes.   ;)