Any Big Time Individual Matchups at Team Sect Tonight?

Started by Han Solo, February 17, 2015, 08:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbird

Exactly my thoughts on this subject!  If we as a wrestling community keep this garbage up, the school bureacrats are going to start really limiting matches and I don't think we want that. 

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 07:30:24 AM
I don't buy the "he might get injured" statement. If everyone is so afraid of kids getting hurt before sectionals why do we have a team state? These are high school kids let them wrestle. Theses kids have wrestled 40 or 50 matches already this year. Com on man! Everyone talks about the numbers in wrestling dwindling, well start filling the stands with a great product and more kids will want to be part of it.

stbird

Missinghome, you are once again a genius with your argument and I agree 100%.  Skipping matches does not help the wrestler unless he is nursing an injury.  If he is fine, let him wrestle. 

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 08:59:29 AM
I agree Arron... A coaches priorities should be for his wrestler, but isn't wrestling as much about mental toughness as physical toughness? How is forfeiting a match ever "good for his wrestler"

aarons23

Quote from: stbird on February 20, 2015, 07:50:57 AM
Missinghome, you are once again a genius with your argument and I agree 100%.  Skipping matches does not help the wrestler unless he is nursing an injury.  If he is fine, let him wrestle. 

I agree Arron... A coaches priorities should be for his wrestler, but isn't wrestling as much about mental toughness as physical toughness? How is forfeiting a match ever "good for his wrestler"

Again Stbird....it's not about your entertainment value.....there has been enough arguments presented by others to explain this to you.....what's hurting wrestling is lack of numbers.....not a coach making decisions for the best interest of his wrestlers. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

stbird

Who said anything about entertainment value?  It's about competition.  The more competition a young wrestler gets, the better he's prepared for the next match. 

Quote from: aarons23 on February 20, 2015, 08:24:34 AM

Again Stbird....it's not about your entertainment value.....there has been enough arguments presented by others to explain this to you.....what's hurting wrestling is lack of numbers.....not a coach making decisions for the best interest of his wrestlers. 

aarons23

Quote from: stbird on February 20, 2015, 08:44:12 AM
Who said anything about entertainment value?  It's about competition.  The more competition a young wrestler gets, the better he's prepared for the next match. 

Really?  So why does college wrestlers compete in a lot less matches than high schoolers? 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

blacknblue

#2 120 Blanchard Coleman wins 2-0 over #2 113 Schoenherr Stratford. Great battle.
You can drill and waste your time or you can drill and get better. Either way we're going to drill! - D.G.

GO BLUE!!

foose4

Quote from: blacknblue on February 20, 2015, 09:14:20 AM
#2 120 Blanchard Coleman wins 2-0 over #2 113 Schoenherr Stratford. Great battle.

Actually it was 5-3.  Great match!
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

wrestle84

Quote from: aarons23 on February 20, 2015, 08:48:47 AM

Really?  So why does college wrestlers compete in a lot less matches than high schoolers? 

Because they have that good competition right in there wrestling rooms. Very few high schools have that.

aarons23

Quote from: wrestle84 on February 20, 2015, 10:44:43 AM
Who said anything about entertainment value?  It's about competition.  The more competition a young wrestler gets, the better he's prepared for the next match.  

Missinghome, you are once again a genius with your argument and I agree 100%.  Skipping matches does not help the wrestler unless he is nursing an injury.  If he is fine, let him wrestle.  

Really?  So why does college wrestlers compete in a lot less matches than high schoolers?  

Because they have that good competition right in there wrestling rooms. Very few high schools have that.

Now that we know that...we better start getting these kids at least 100 matches.....LOL...some colleges have great partners for most of their wrestlers....but most are only good at a couple of weight.  If it were as you suggest then places like NorthWestern and Indiana would not have had to ff weight classes.  The idea more is better is part of the problem with attracting numbers to our sport.

It's very strenuous! 

stbird

Are you trying to confuse the discussion on purpose?  No one is talking about college wrestlers, this is a high school wrestling dual meet discussion, although in reality, many college wrestlers wrestle as many or more matches than high school wrestlers. 

jaguarwrestler

Do I agree with Freedom FF last 3? Hard to say, they accomplished their goal, making it through team sectionals, are they required to entertain the crowd? Do you want to shoot it out with their best Tuesday or Saturday? Is it worth risk of injury when you can't afford to miss this weekend? The only real problem I have with this is the kids from the other team earned the right to wrestle on Tuesday and should have a match even if it was against your JV wrestler. Otherwise I am good with it.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

aarons23

Quote from: stbird on February 20, 2015, 11:09:57 AM
Are you trying to confuse the discussion on purpose?  No one is talking about college wrestlers, this is a high school wrestling dual meet discussion, although in reality, many college wrestlers wrestle as many or more matches than high school wrestlers. 

The only one confused is you..... Making the statement that we need more matches because you don't like the decision of coaches to ff matches at team sectionals because people drove there to see wrestlng has nothing to do with growing wrestling or making them better.

Very few college guys are getting the number of matches that high schoolers ste.  Last year on UW Badgers Jordan had the most with 38..,..high school guys are getting in excess of 50!

It's very strenuous! 

stbird

I think you may need glasses!  Once again, I didn't say anything about growing wrestling or anything about the fans.  This is about competition.  When competition is standing across the mat from you ready to wrestle, you don't forfeit, you wrestle.  There are a whole lot of high school or college kids that get 50 matches.  50 matches is an anomaly for most kids and most teams whether in high school or college.  30-40 matches is probably about the norm for college and high school.   

Quote from: aarons23 on February 20, 2015, 11:55:11 AM

The only one confused is you..... Making the statement that we need more matches because you don't like the decision of coaches to ff matches at team sectionals because people drove there to see wrestlng has nothing to do with growing wrestling or making them better.

Very few college guys are getting the number of matches that high schoolers ste.  Last year on UW Badgers Jordan had the most with 38..,..high school guys are getting in excess of 50!

aarons23

Quote from: stbird on February 20, 2015, 12:08:16 PM
I think you may need glasses!  Once again, I didn't say anything about growing wrestling or anything about the fans.  This is about competition.  When competition is standing across the mat from you ready to wrestle, you don't forfeit, you wrestle.  There are a whole lot of high school or college kids that get 50 matches.  50 matches is an anomaly for most kids and most teams whether in high school or college.  30-40 matches is probably about the norm for college and high school.    

Quote from: aarons23 on February 20, 2015, 11:55:11 AM
Are you trying to confuse the discussion on purpose?  No one is talking about college wrestlers, this is a high school wrestling dual meet discussion, although in reality, many college wrestlers wrestle as many or more matches than high school wrestlers.  

Who said anything about entertainment value?  It's about competition.  The more competition a young wrestler gets, the better he's prepared for the next match.  

Missinghome, you are once again a genius with your argument and I agree 100%.  Skipping matches does not help the wrestler unless he is nursing an injury.  If he is fine, let him wrestle.  

Really?  So why does college wrestlers compete in a lot less matches than high schoolers?  

Very few college guys are getting the number of matches that high schoolers ste.  Last year on UW Badgers Jordan had the most with 38..,..high school guys are getting in excess of 50!

That is completely your opinion....your entitled to that...but I am glad most coaches will base their decision on what's best for their wrestler...not your need for competition. Btw...you really need to check your match counts.... From what I see college is around mid thirties and high school is closer to 50.... That's not all but most!

Btw...trackwrestling is showing kids from Burlington already have 46 matches....I am not sure that all matches are entered in track so it could be more....by the time individual state and team state is over...they will certainly be over 50 matches.

It's very strenuous! 

KeyLock

Quote from: Orca on February 20, 2015, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: Vinsanity 4 on February 18, 2015, 03:52:41 PM
I have seen both Bloy and Peplinski wrestle more than once this year and although Bloy's unorthodox style might confuse and or antagonize Peplinski for a short time I believe Peplinski would eventually get mad of having his head hung on and turn it on in the 3rd period and win convincingly.  Yes Freedom big underdog at 170 as well. JMO and not from WB either.

From what I've seen, I don't think a lot of people "turn it on" in the 3rd period against Bloy.  ::)

Haha I was thinking the same thing you would have to be in better shape than Kyle Dake lol