GO VOTE for Jordan Burroughs to carry USA Flag at Opening Ceremony in RIO

Started by TomM, July 30, 2016, 05:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

GO VOTE for Jordan Burroughs.
Poll Results (he moved ahead as of 5:32pm CST)
Kim Rhode...1%
Tony Azevedo...2%
Michael Phelps...11%
Carmelo Anthony...0%
Kristin Armstrong...0%
Diana Tauras...i0%
David Boudia...2%
Kerri Walsh Jennings...2%
Serena Williams...2%
Beezie Madden...28%
Ibtihaj Muhammad...2%
Carlin Isles...2%
Carli Lloyd...3%
Bernard Lagat...1%
Logan Dooley...7%
Steven Lopez...1%
Jordan Burroughs...36%

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/vote-who-should-carry-us-flag-opening-ceremony
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MarkK

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

GradeTough

Well deserved for Phelps. He has represented USA well in the past and won a few medals along the way.

aarons23

Quote from: GradeTough on August 04, 2016, 07:55:22 AM
Well deserved for Phelps. He has represented USA well in the past and won a few medals along the way.

i disagree...he is an admitted drug user and is a poor role model.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: aarons23 on August 04, 2016, 07:59:22 AM

So is 1/2 the NFL and about 90% of the NBA, I would guess UFC % is higher then one would think as well

Barou

It would appear that voters care a lot more about the accomplishments than the character.  Seems like Phelps is carrying himself much differently than a few years ago but in terms of a highly accomplished athlete with the utmost character, I think Burroughs would have been a fantastic choice.
JHI Mafia

aarons23

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on August 04, 2016, 08:46:02 AM

So is 1/2 the NFL and about 90% of the NBA, I would guess UFC % is higher then one would think as well

And I would agree...they wouldn't make good role models.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ghetto

The poll was only about opinions and wasn't binding. Burroughs won the poll but isn't carrying the flag.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: aarons23 on August 04, 2016, 11:55:04 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on August 04, 2016, 08:46:02 AM

And I would agree...they wouldn't make good role models.

And I would agree, Problem is today society does not see things like you and I, look at MMA sales and Football jersey sales.

Barou

Quote from: shakerag on August 05, 2016, 07:24:40 AM

What? how is he allowed to compete? what kind of drugs?

There were photos of him smoking pot shortly after the London Olympics.  He also picked up a couple of OWI's over the years, last one in 2014.  Following some of his interviews he seems to be doing great, some may even say a great redemption story.  Should be noted that his troubles didn't result in anyone else being injured.  I would love to have seen Burroughs selected but Phelps is the most accomplished Olympian ever with more medals to come so kind of a logical choice.  Plus, for me, I'm not one to judge a person based on their lowest moments.  He seems like he is doing everything the right way.  Best of luck to Phelps, Burroughs, and all the American athletes, looking forward to the games.
JHI Mafia

imnofish

As I recall, he served at least one suspension from competition due these infractions.  The guy served his punishment, grew up, and moved forward.  So should we.  Ever had a kid on your wrestling team make a mistake and serve a suspension?  Would you support him/her later being disqualified from the State Tournament because of it?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

aarons23

Quote from: imnofish on August 09, 2016, 11:30:18 AM
As I recall, he served at least one suspension from competition due these infractions.  The guy served his punishment, grew up, and moved forward.  So should we.  Ever had a kid on your wrestling team make a mistake and serve a suspension?  Would you support him/her later being disqualified from the State Tournament because of it?

I actually watched an interview with him and read about his life changes and I agree it sounds like he straightened his life out and that's a good thing.

It's very strenuous!