Big rule changes

Started by No One Cares, April 25, 2024, 12:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VQOriginal

Good. Now refs need practice.

VQOriginal

Here's what is proposed:

• Out of bounds: just a single point of contact on the mat to continue wrestling.
• Near fall: 2 count =  2 pts, 3 count = 3 pts and 4 count = 4 pts.
3) Scoring: adopt the 3-point takedown.

MCB

OK, all I want answered in regards to the changes in scoring rules is WHY?

I am not saying the changes are necessarily bad (I'll withhold judgment until this coming winter) but who was banging the drum for these particular scoring changes?

I'll hang up and listen to your comments.

VQOriginal

If most of these kids want to wrestle in college, why not have them ready for it. It's necessary and I'm all for it.

Fish

I like these changes! the out of bounds rule in particular.  I hope WI votes yes on this.

hornbuckleb

so when do the size of the mats change.  Either make the mats bigger or the circle smaller.

crossface21

Quote from: VQOriginal on April 25, 2024, 12:36:29 PMHere's what is proposed:

• Out of bounds: just a single point of contact on the mat to continue wrestling.
• Near fall: 2 count =  2 pts, 3 count = 3 pts and 4 count = 4 pts.
3) Scoring: adopt the 3-point takedown.

Is it proposed, or is this what it's going to be? Does the WIAA have to approve it? I just assumed if the it's the NFHS rules, those are the rules we go by.

JacobRaschka

Wisconsin will be using the new rules for this upcoming season.

Vikings1

These are great rule changes, particularly the out of bounds rule. Prep them for college. It makes out of bounds so much more clear cut for refs, wrestlers, coaches, and FANS. We don't need to make the sport harder for fans to understand.

The two other main rule changes I would like to see in coming years is neutral danger calls and drop-down rule both with ref counts/swipes.

Neutral danger is obvious to me, stay off your back for extending periods of time and get off if the ref starts swiping. If you can't get off your back in five to six seconds from a neutral start, the other wrestler was in control.

Drop-down rule also removes so much subjectivity from officials. Sometimes wrestlers think they are making enough attempt to mat return or break down, but they aren't in the ref's eyes. As a coach, it is also unpredictable when the ref will call stalling in those mat returns spots. Giving the five count lets the athlete know that they either need to make a bigger attempt, cut them, or take a stalling. At least you don't need to guess.

Ghetto

What we don't need is to make it more difficult to officiate. The one toe in rule does make it easier for officials. The nearfall points could be a different story. We'll see.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

MNbadger

Quote from: Ghetto on April 26, 2024, 10:24:08 AMWhat we don't need is to make it more difficult to officiate. The one toe in rule does make it easier for officials. The near fall points could be a different story. We'll see.
Too many officials count near fall wrong already. Near fall is reached when the shoulders hit 45 degreesor less.  Many referees start when they break 90 degrees.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Numbers

Quote from: MNbadger on April 26, 2024, 10:31:45 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 26, 2024, 10:24:08 AMWhat we don't need is to make it more difficult to officiate. The one toe in rule does make it easier for officials. The near fall points could be a different story. We'll see.
Too many officials count near fall wrong already. Near fall is reached when the shoulders hit 45 degreesor less.  Many referees start when they break 90 degrees.

Geometry is hard!

Armdrag

You guys are all welcome to take the test, grab a whistle, put on the stripes, and give up your weekends so it can be done right!!!!

littleguy301

Quote from: Armdrag on April 26, 2024, 12:59:12 PMYou guys are all welcome to take the test, grab a whistle, put on the stripes, and give up your weekends so it can be done right!!!!

Well who would coach the kids I bring to the event then?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet