Matside weighins

Started by Numbers, July 07, 2022, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

I expected Tom to post something today with all the discussion on Flo Radio Live today.

Scratch at weigh ins with shoes and singlet (headgear?) if needed for bracketing.

Then matside you add 1 pound.
Second day of tournament start with matside with an additional pound

Thoughts?

Maybe "matside" is in the staging area instead of matside for tournaments.

Army Ant

Quote from: Numbers on July 07, 2022, 09:16:37 PM
I expected Tom to post something today with all the discussion on Flo Radio Live today.

Scratch at weigh ins with shoes and singlet (headgear?) if needed for bracketing.

Then matside you add 1 pound.
Second day of tournament start with matside with an additional pound

Thoughts?

Maybe "matside" is in the staging area instead of matside for tournaments.

I don't think the benefits outweigh the effort involved. Wrestlers are already limited on how much they can cut because if they get too dehydrated it will severely impact their wrestling. They only have about 2 hours to recover. Not nearly enough time for cells to fully rehydrate.

On the effort/logistics side, it slows down the wrestling and you probably need at least 1 scale sitting out the entire day (taking up space & vulnerable to damage) for every 2 mats.

DocWrestling

I am 100% for this.  I would love to see some documentation on this though.

I would love to see a few tournaments, especially longer ones, weigh in kids prior to every match just to see how different they are.  Not to scratch anyone at first but just see how different weights are.

I personally would love to simplify everything and you have to make the weight class and the weight class stays the same all year.  No growth pounds and no consecutive day pounds.  Kids would have to think differently about what weight class they "fit" in rather than simply what weight class they can "make weight" in.

It is silly that we call out the 103 lbers for the state title match and they weighed 108 in the morning and weigh a lot more than that when they wrestle on Saturday night.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

I get what everyone is saying on this but I totally say NO to any of this.

First off this is another step to make wrestling less attractive to during the season kids. We have a weight loss plan.and now to add more confusion or a other step, we now have mat side weigh ins.

Example: so a kid makes 106 for his first match and then for tye second match he weighs 109. Guess what he isn't wrestling 106 for some time with our decent plan.

Maybe for college and senior level guys I may go with it but not in high school. Plus people weighing in kids so everyone can see there weigh isn't cool.

I will go with it if all the fans weigh in when entering and every time they leave and come back to their seats ;D including wife's and daughters!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Get rid of fat test.
Get rid of descent plan.
Get rid of growth allowance.
Get rid of consecutive day pound.
Matside weigh-ins but they are not mat side.  One room or locker room out of sight where wrestlers must report 15 minutes prior to match. 

If you don't make weight you forfeit that match but not disqualified.

Make weight and wrestle.  Coaches don't even ever need weigh-in sheets.

Sounds like a much easier plan to me that is safe and more fair.

dman

Kids will still cut.  I get trying to eliminate the "bad" weight cutting, but mat side weigh-ins won't be the magic bullet.  To me the rules in place work as far as coaches and parents create the culture of wrestling at a healthy weight and place an emphasis on NOT "cutting" weight.  Rule after rule can be implemented but true change happens with the coaches and the parents. 

With all the being said, I am not necessarily "against" mat side weigh-ins, I just think it isn't the magic bullet people think it is and feels like change for the sake of change.

Coach V

Interesting idea,

You made weight at weighins for your first match and if you are over weight for your match and forfeit, then you have to "cut" weight to wrestle again?

How does this grow wrestling? Will more kids wrestle because they have to weighin in front of everyone?

Who monitors the weighin back in the locker room during the rounds after the first at tournaments? Is there a scale by each mat and when on deck you weigh in? Who monitors it on multiple mats? What about weight difference in scales? Yes, there is a difference Christian Pyles  :) If he/she changes singlets/head gear/shoes etc,  and is now over, can they change back? Is there be a check scale?

I agree, how does it affect the decent plan(which is worse than the .5/day was)?

Just some thoughts I had.

Matt

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

tigerking

Quote from: colekaden on July 12, 2022, 08:02:35 AM
Interesting idea,

You made weight at weighins for your first match and if you are over weight for your match and forfeit, then you have to "cut" weight to wrestle again?

How does this grow wrestling? Will more kids wrestle because they have to weighin in front of everyone?

Who monitors the weighin back in the locker room during the rounds after the first at tournaments? Is there a scale by each mat and when on deck you weigh in? Who monitors it on multiple mats? What about weight difference in scales? Yes, there is a difference Christian Pyles  :) If he/she changes singlets/head gear/shoes etc,  and is now over, can they change back? Is there be a check scale?

I agree, how does it affect the decent plan(which is worse than the .5/day was)?

Just some thoughts I had.

Matt

I am with Matt on this one. I think this hurts wrestling and would lead to wrestlers cutting weight throughout the day instead of worrying about competing. We should be worried about getting rid of the 1.5% rule for a different decent plan.

padre

My guess is no one that actually wants this is a coach.  There are already so many headaches that one goes through and then to add that throughout your day?  I guess if you would like less wrestlers and coaches in the long run this could be your solution.

Ghetto

Quote from: padre on July 12, 2022, 03:16:26 PM
My guess is no one that actually wants this is a coach.  There are already so many headaches that one goes through and then to add that throughout your day?  I guess if you would like less wrestlers and coaches in the long run this could be your solution.

Totally agree. Having to monitor what kids eat during the day is impossible. It creates a mess that would lead to massive FFs at tournaments. It would also cause kids to not want to wrestle, IMO.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

Kids will always cut.  Always have and always will no matter the system.

Kids that cut are rewarded now with only a morning weigh-in.

Let's reward the kids that are wrestling at a more natural weight and make it more fair.

Only kids that will have to cut over the day are the guys that gain an advantage now.  Let's tip the scales in favor of those that have picked a proper weight class and not the lowest one they can starve into.

The wrestling mentality right now is that if I wrestle 145 then I need to weigh in at 144.9 by not eating all night and no breakfast.  Why can't we change the mentality that if I weigh 142 then I should be wrestling 145 and not 138

hornbuckleb

Quote from: DocWrestling on July 13, 2022, 05:46:01 PM

Let's reward the kids that are wrestling at a more natural weight and make it more fair.

Only kids that will have to cut over the day are the guys that gain an advantage now.  Let's tip the scales in favor of those that have picked a proper weight class and not the lowest one they can starve into.

The wrestling mentality right now is that if I wrestle 145 then I need to weigh in at 144.9 by not eating all night and no breakfast.  Why can't we change the mentality that if I weigh 142 then I should be wrestling 145 and not 138

Why?

Because you will have that kid that weighs in at 142.5 and wrestles his/her first match, then drinks 20 ounces of water (1.3lbs), a banana and some grapes (0.5lbs), maybe a juice box (0.5lbs) and a sandwich only to weigh 145.1 right before their next match.  So how do you propose a coach navigates this?

Why not just change everything to a 4 person round robin and group by ability along with +/- 10% weight allowance  ::)

Combat sports have weight classes, that is how it is done.

Educate your coach, Educate the parents and Educate the kids on weight management.  Your proposal rewards the kids that are just not that serious about the sport.  Extra workouts, healthy eating and self discipline is hard work and not for everyone.  Of course there will always be a minority that abuse the system and take the short cuts.

Sorry but I just don't get it! 

asdf

Quote from: DocWrestling on July 13, 2022, 05:46:01 PM

I agree that "kids will always cut."  So maybe coaching them in a better, safer process is warranted? If majority of coaches are advising their wrestlers to cut weight as you describe then maybe the changes needing to be made are in educating the coaches in a better weight management process?

Your correct that "kids will always cut."  So maybe coaching them in a better, safer process is warranted?

DocWrestling

The longer time you have between weigh-ins and the most important matches the more kids will cut.

Combat sports weigh in the day before and that leads to excessive cutting and guys that weight nothing near their weight class at match time.

We used to weigh in the day before in college too.  The more you cut the more you were rewarded by hopefully weighing a lot more than your opponent by match time the next day.  College guys cut less now because they don't weigh in a day early

The hour rule is a good one now but does not make it very fair for the finals matches on Saturday nights that are 12 hours after weigh-ins.

Coach V

If a kid cuts too much or the wrong way, the problem will take care of itself.

We struggle to get enough kids to wrestle in front of everyone, now they have to weigh in too??

He new guy, Little Johnny( and Big Johnny), I would like you to wrestle, BUT first you have to pee in a cup, then get your fat pinched, then coach gives you a print out that looks like it's from the FBI that tells you what you should weigh everyday, 1.5hrs practices that are the toughest thing most will do their whole lives( which is good for them to a point), then you have to weigh-in in front of everyone or right before you wrestle and then compete in front of everyone, just to wrestle your first time.... oh wait you are .1 over because you have your socks on and can't take them off.

Now your at your first tournament, you made it the first time. Now you drank a Gatorade and had a PBJ sandwich. Your match comes up in 45min, Sorry son your .2 over, can't wrestle the 2nd round but if you go run that off, you can wrestle your next one. Can you check every scale they are using for the event?

Does this grow wrestling?

Just some thoughts. Good conversation.

Matt

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler