Early to mid 90's question

Started by bud, December 22, 2016, 02:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bud

Any old timers out there that can help me. Trying to think of the name of a wrestler from Wisconsin who had Kevin Blacks number in Freestyle. He beat him by tech-fall at the state Freestyle tourney, then did the same at the northern plains a few weeks later. They had to be close in age , I'm thinking 8th. graders 1993 0r 1994. The kid was tough as nails but can't recall his H.S. career. May have been Kevins last defeat prior to his outstanding win streak.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

leg turk

DocWrestling

Quote from: leg turk on December 22, 2016, 04:26:13 PM
Wes Wesley!

LOL! Beat Kevin 4 years in a row at the Afton Quadrangular?   He was a great wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiEoD_g76Q
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

I would bet it was maja casey from plum city. Maja was an incredible Greco-Roman wrestler as well. Maja won a state tile for elmwood/plum city in like 1996 or close to that.

Hope I answered that for you.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

woody53

Quote from: DocWrestling on December 22, 2016, 04:57:58 PM
Wes Wesley!

LOL! Beat Kevin 4 years in a row at the Afton Quadrangular?   He was a great wrestler.

Wes didn't win his Junior year. Was only a three time champ.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

ankle pick

Quote from: woody53 on December 23, 2016, 07:42:30 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on December 22, 2016, 04:57:58 PM
Wes Wesley!

Wes didn't win his Junior year. Was only a three time champ.

Wasn't he hurt his Junior year?

pauladamski

You might be thinking of Tom Lennon from Endeavor. He was a seventh grader that one the WWF State Folkstyle bracket when Kevin Black was an eighth grader. Also in the bracket was Justin Tritz, Luke Bailey, Chris Brusky and a few others. Obviously Black went on to win state as a freshman; while Tritz, Bailey and Brusky all placed as freshman the next year as well. I believe there was one more freshman WIAA placewinner in that group as well. Perhaps Justin would remember.

bud

The wrestler I'm trying to think of was from the southern part of the state as we came out of the same regional, in or around West Bend area. I'm sure it was freestyle not folkstyle. He was the state champ at Wisconsin Rapids and also won the northern plains as well. Some of your suggestions sound good, but not the kid i'm thinking of!!

sunrangereagle

Quote from: bud on December 23, 2016, 11:58:03 AM
The wrestler I'm trying to think of was from the southern part of the state as we came out of the same regional, in or around West Bend area. I'm sure it was freestyle not folkstyle. He was the state champ at Wisconsin Rapids and also won the northern plains as well. Some of your suggestions sound good, but not the kid i'm thinking of!!

I believe Mike Damrow from West Bend East and Black wrestled in the state finals Blacks' freshman and Damrow's Senior year??????? When you said West Bend perhaps they wrestled in freestyle in the past.

bud

It couldn't be Mike Damrow  as they were too far apart in age to have wrestled in freestyle. The wrestler I'm trying to think of did win his regional in the southeast part of the state . I know this because I was there. Pretty sure it was 1993. Help me out Kevin if you read this, there are only a handful of kids it could be.

FinalWord

I believe lg was right. It was Casey from Elmwood/Plum City. He, however, did not make a habit out of it. I remember one victory that was heavily publicized. Kinda like beating a guy in practice.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

bud

would Casey have qualified from the south east part of the state? Not sure where Plum City is. Would Casey have won the Northern Plains that year?

MajaC

Not quite sure who u are looking for but everyone has their own kryptonite, I was Kevin Black's kryptonite, I never wrestled Kevin in Folkstyle which was arguably Kevin's best style (undefeated 4x state champ) but I wrestled kevin every other yr from jr high thru HS, I believe I pinned him in every match - FS regionals my 8th grade yr, Kevin's 7th grade, then again at FS regionals my sophomore year, Kevin's freshman yr and then my senior year which was kevin's junior year in Greco-Roman which was at Central Juniors national tournament in La Crosse.  I was more known as a Greco & Freestyle stud & Kevin was the Folkstyle King. I was in D3 & Kevin was D1, so we never met up at all in HS,  only one time it was possible to meet up was at the Ellsworth Invite but that year I was at 119 & Kevin was at 112.  Me and Kevin have been good buddies thru out all of the yrs.  We wrestled together on numerous national teams. I have so much respect for Kevin and i know he respects me too.  All of that was so many years ago, and even though they were big accomplishments at the time, now I'm just giving back everything I can to today's youth and high school wrestlers. No matter if someone thinks they are unstoppable, their is always someone out there that will have their number.  My kryptonite was a kid from Illinois David Stoltz he had my number like 5 times, World Team Trials finals, national finals. Records don't really mean much, styles collide sometimes so be humble in your wins and humble in your losses, work hard and ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!

Spiral Ride

Quote from: FinalWord on December 24, 2016, 05:18:46 PM
I believe lg was right. It was Casey from Elmwood/Plum City. He, however, did not make a habit out of it. I remember one victory that was heavily publicized. Kinda like beating a guy in practice.
Hey FinalWord where do u get ur info from, looks as if Casey vs Black happened 3 times and if I'm right Casey is 3-0 lifetime vs Black

FinalWord

Quote from: Spiral Ride on December 25, 2016, 06:24:08 PM
Quote from: FinalWord on December 24, 2016, 05:18:46 PM
Hey FinalWord where do u get ur info from, looks as if Casey vs Black happened 3 times and if I'm right Casey is 3-0 lifetime vs Black
It's still simply practice!
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."