new top/bottom or wrestling

Started by Ohio Wisconsin, March 12, 2016, 12:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

I always required my kids to wear headgear during any drilling, technique or live wrestling.
I also told then what size shirt and shorts they would wear for practice (we had practice uniforms).  Otherwise they would have been wearing shorts as big, long, and baggy as BB shorts (and they do get in the way!).
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: gablesgrip1 on March 14, 2016, 08:27:13 PM
Honestly, I think most cauliflower ear happens in practice.  Should be mandatory in practice and no headgear in competion.

You know what, I agree with that 100%!!!!!!!!!

The conituely banging in practice is where most of it that I have heard comes from.

I did invest into a LDR head gear for my boy. He wears it once in a while just getting used to it but I also believe that most concussions also happen in practice but really rear their ugly head in meets.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

padre

We went to the shorts/shirt option for my junior high team. Reaction was mixed. Half of the kids love them and half of the kids went back to the singlet.  One of my main reasons for bringing them into play was to try to attract bigger kids to the sport.

My thoughts after one year with them...

Good...

1. I really like the look and think most would like them after a while.

2. No one had a finger get caught in them all year.

Bad...

1. Must make sure top is very tight or will be called for a pin much quicker

2. Must keep them tucked in as I could see a hand getting caught at some time if you don't

3. Our biggest guy went back to a singlet because kept coming untucked and not real flattering with shorts going down and shirt going up

We will continue to use them as I really like them. However, I'm kind of finding out what I thought would probably happen...that being the kids that really want to wrestle don't care about wearing a singlet and I'm probably not getting any extra big guys out just by changing uniform. 😂

wrestler6

Leave the sport and singlets as it always has been... Just my opinion
Tyler

Jzelinski

Quote from: whatever on March 14, 2016, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: Jzelinski on March 14, 2016, 03:42:06 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on March 14, 2016, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: Jzelinski on March 14, 2016, 02:51:33 PM
I have heard they WI might be going in the direction of the board shorts and tight fit shirt as an optional uniform. I for one do not really like the idea because you will see more pulling on the uniform and the possibility of getting fingers caught and twisted. But maybe that is the old school in me.

And mat side weigh ins are a bad idea. The rules and regulations in place for weight management are enough and should be left alone!

Do not know why everyone wants to reinvent the wheel!

Why are matside weigh-ins a bad idea?

Because the system in place is not broken. My question is why do we want mat side weigh ins? Because a couple individuals take the restrictions to the limit? Why add more distractions during a dual? IMO, if you as a parent and coach work together to take an active role in your wrestlers weight management to ensure proper diet, hydration, and workouts mat side weigh ins would be unnecessary. I know that sometimes, we as parents are to blame for I wrestlers thinking that being in a lighter weight class means more success, but those of us who have been around long enough it usually ends up being the athlete who has the best balance in their weight management that comes out on top at the end.

Everyone always wants to change everything? I love this sport just the way it is!

....and you probably used to hate computers back in the day, as well.....and look at you now.    ;) ;D

Right!  8)

bigG

Love it. I am for new unis and matside. I doubt either, or both, would create a 180; but both would make the sport more appealing to prospective wrestlers and the parents that feed them.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

New thread started for matside weigh-ins.

woody53

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Handles II

Quote from: woody53 on March 15, 2016, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: Handles II on March 15, 2016, 06:32:13 PM
New thread started for matside weigh-ins.
Where ?

Dude, you found it before I even finished posting!!  :D :D

bigG

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 14, 2016, 11:02:16 PM
Quote from: gablesgrip1 on March 14, 2016, 08:27:13 PM
Honestly, I think most cauliflower ear happens in practice.  Should be mandatory in practice and no headgear in competion.

You know what, I agree with that 100%!!!!!!!!!

The conituely banging in practice is where most of it that I have heard comes from.

I did invest into a LDR head gear for my boy. He wears it once in a while just getting used to it but I also believe that most concussions also happen in practice but really rear their ugly head in meets.

Gotta agree. You don't do 50 duck unders in a tournament...unless you're Cal Jensen.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

What if the the match uniform had tight "fight' or 'board' shorts.. and a shirt that buttons in the crotch (like the old tops did) and tight stretch type shirt?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Quote from: TomM on March 16, 2016, 09:59:22 AM
What if the the match uniform had tight "fight' or 'board' shorts.. and a shirt that buttons in the crotch (like the old tops did) and tight stretch type shirt?

I actually thought that too. Or if they create a longer shirt.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

gablesgrip1

How about just wearing the singlet under the shorts.  Or would that be just defeating the purpose of a different uniform

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.