Conduct during the National Anthem

Started by grahekf, December 15, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahekf

Posted this once before but thought this was worth posting again. There are many different things going on during the playing of the anthem.  This is from the Flag Code of the United States:

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National Anthem

(a)  Designation.—  The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.  

(b)  Conduct During Playing.—  During a rendition of the national anthem—  
    (1) when the flag is displayed—  
       (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;  

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and  

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

boowrestle

Have you been witnessing inappropriate conduct lately during the national anthem???
you can run but you cannot hide.

Dale Einerson

Interesting, but suspect close to 90% of those in attendance at a sporting event during the National Anthem don't get it right...

grahekf

Just wanted to pass the info along.

I actually didn't know what the correct protocol was so I looked it up a couple years ago. I'm sure there are a number of people in the same boat.  I now know the proper protocol for the National Anthem is the same as the Pledge of Allegiance in terms of placing your hand over your heart.

OneEyedFatMan

For what its worth, I can't imagine it to be disrespectful without your hand over your heart.

In my humble opinion, I think folks ought to sing along with the music/vocalist. That would be more respectful.
But so many don't even know the lyrics, let alone the notes.

Besides that, my shoulder bugs me to hold my hand over my heart ( from getting cranked on too many times).

Please don't judge me!   :P
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

Dale Einerson

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on December 15, 2014, 03:18:23 PM
For what its worth, I can't imagine it to be disrespectful without your hand over your heart.

In my humble opinion, I think folks ought to sing along with the music/vocalist. That would be more respectful.
But so many don't even know the lyrics, let alone the notes.

Besides that, my shoulder bugs me to hold my hand over my heart ( from getting cranked on too many times).

Please don't judge me!   :P

I appreciated the post in the past, it helped me to understand what is viewed as accepted and unaccepted.

And, OEFM...it is such a small target too... ;)

littleguy301

Geez,,,,,I dont mean any disrespect at all but I usually fold my hands in front of me and face the flag during the anthem. Somewhere along the lines that is what I learned.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Bun B

That is all fine and dandy, but do we honestly need to play the national anthem for EVERY SINGLE EVENT? I always thought playing it all the time makes it seem less important, and thus, behavior is a bit more lax

maggie

ya, and you better start by telling some of these kids out there that there pants that they wear around there knees should also be pulled up at this time...man, have ya ever seen something that stupid in your entire life?    ::)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

Raggity bell-bottoms in the 70's, Leisure Suits-80's, this is just another fashion fiasco.

This trend was not started in the AA community as one might suspect, but in the LA Latino community by young men called "Pachucos" in the early 80s (also by String Bean on Hee-Haw  :)). 
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bkraus

It started being played in Major League Baseball games during WWI in 1918 during game 1 of the World Series.  Then in WWII it was played before all baseball games and through patriotism was adopted by all the other major sports leagues.  It has since, obviously, trickled down to all athletic events.  I have no problem with it at all.  Except for long bastardized versions of it.  Maybe it is the veteran in me, but the song in it's entirety is 1 minute and 21 seconds long.  Not the Whitney Houston 5 minute version.  You want to hear the best one, search Marine Corps band Star Spangled Banner.
Strive for Perfection

head57

I still catch myself rocking back and forth during the national anthem. Remnants from being amped up before a duel meet!
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

MNbadger

I know this will start a firestorm but, I have never shied away from such things before........
If the anthem is played, all should be respectful and proper I agree.
When I was younger and people would ask "why do we play the anthem at athletic events"? I would get angry and think they were horrible people, unAmerican.  
Now, no matter how long I analyze it, I can see no logical reason for playing the anthem at athletic events.  I am open to hearing cogent, logical arguments supporting the playing of the anthem at sporting events (other than at the Army/Navy game maybe?).
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

aarons23

Quote from: MNbadger on December 16, 2014, 10:27:43 PM
I know this will start a firestorm but, I have never shied away from such things before........
When I was younger and people would ask "why do we play the anthem at athletic events"? I would get angry and think they were horrible people, unAmerican.  
Now, no matter how long I analyze it, I can see no logical reason for playing the anthem at athletic events.  I am open to hearing cogent, logical arguments supporting the playing of the anthem at sporting events (other than at the Army/Navy game maybe?).

That's what makes our country great.....we don't need cogent logical argument to show respect to our flag, our country and those who served for it.  We do it because it's not only the right thing to do but it's a constant reminder to us of how lucky we are to be in this country......MNbadger ....you couldn't give me a cogent logical argument not to sing the national anthem at every sporting event.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Street Glide

Quote from: MNbadger on December 16, 2014, 10:27:43 PM

IMO I fear you didn't analyze long enough.  Maybe because at sporting events it is a time when large gatherings of Americans are present.  This to me this is a great time to take a few minutes to show respect And thankfulness to the men and women that give all of us the opportunity to assemble.  Most of us have short memories and a reminder such as the National Anthem sure can put some things in perspective.  Why you feel Army Navy games warrant the Anthem and not other events really leaves out all of us.  I'm sure everyone of us have ties with our Armed forces.  Again To have the Anthem as a reminder for our freedoms to assemble that day should be a logical reason.  JMO.