Packers to sign SS Amos & OLB Smith

Started by neutral, March 12, 2019, 08:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

ramjet

Nice activity in FA for the Pack I think they really got some good solid performers on defense. My guess is the draft is deep in defensive players so they could really shore up the defense with atop 1st round player at number 12 unless they can trade for a later round and another 2nd or third round pick.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

These FA signings will allow the Packers more flexibility in the draft. They still have needs, but not as glaring. I think the FA signings also signal a urgency to win while #12 is still here.

Ghetto

It's so strange to see the Packers doing something in free agency.

If they can do anything in the pass rush, the defense should be much better. The DBs are young and solid.

The Packers also let Nick Perry know that he is going to be released. Can I get an Amen?! Now it's Matthews turn, unless they give him a shot inside again. I'd say let him go, but they've done things that I don't get (keeping Jimmy "The Statue" Graham).
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Handles II

Quote from: Ghetto on March 13, 2019, 07:57:50 AM

If they can do anything in the pass rush, the defense should be much better. The DBs are young and solid.

The Packers also let Nick Perry know that he is going to be released. Can I get an Amen?! Now it's Matthews turn, unless they give him a shot inside again. I'd say let him go, but they've done things that I don't get (keeping Jimmy "The Statue" Graham).
I get the feeling that they will put Matthews inside, it's probably where he should have been the last year or two.

I like the fact that we shouldn't have to trade our current draft picks (although we more than likely will) but I'm not certain we will experience much of a net gain with these couple additions. I was glad to see we picked up a guard/tackle from Denver, an area we need major help.

Houndhead

Quote from: Ghetto on March 13, 2019, 07:57:50 AM

Matthews is a FA so there is no releasing him. If he does get what he is looking for on the FA market I could see him signing a deal with the Pack for much less than he made last year.

dad 2 5

Quote from: TomM on March 12, 2019, 05:55:52 PM
I think they signed maybe four FA's... edge rusher, safety, OLB, OG and released Nick Perry.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/breaking-down-packers-5-major-moves-in-free-agency-on-tuesday/

Finallly the Packers go to the FA! Hope they work out for them!!

ramjet

The prudent move is to let Mathews try FA see what he gets for offers. If it's too high let him go. I actually think the Packers will draft a TE if they get the right guy Graham has to win the job. Not sure if he was dealing with injuries last year or Father Time just caught up with him. I think the FA signings on defense will have a big impact on taking some of the pressure off the secondary and stopping the run. Areas we sorely need help. Who knows maybe our draft is really good and we move that defense into the top 8 to 10 ? The offense can score one or two play makers and we may a huge leap this year.

littleguy301

Now with landing all the fa I now think the packers will go after a wr or te!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

Quote from: ramjet on March 14, 2019, 03:23:53 PM
The prudent move is to let Mathews try FA see what he gets for offers. If it's too high let him go. I actually think the Packers will draft a TE if they get the right guy Graham has to win the job. Not sure if he was dealing with injuries last year or Father Time just caught up with him. I think the FA signings on defense will have a big impact on taking some of the pressure off the secondary and stopping the run. Areas we sorely need help. Who knows maybe our draft is really good and we move that defense into the top 8 to 10 ? The offense can score one or two play makers and we may a huge leap this year.

Totally agree they should let him test the FA market. Not sure there's a huge market for a 33 year old edge guy. His value goes down even more if he moves inside.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove