NOW?!?!?!?!

Started by bkraus, December 02, 2018, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraus

Can McCarthy please be let go now?  There is no upside to keeping him this season.  None!  Now is time to tank for the draft.
Strive for Perfection

fastnfurious

harley

Aaron Rodgers named Interim head Coach

ramjet

Quote from: harley on December 02, 2018, 07:00:35 PM

Lol 😂 perfect 👌

wrastle63

Quote from: ramjet on December 02, 2018, 07:11:39 PM

Lol 😂 perfect 👌
Maybe we could count his salary as the coach and use our space to sign some other players!

harley

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 02, 2018, 07:37:15 PM
Quote from: ramjet on December 02, 2018, 07:11:39 PM

Lol 😂 perfect 👌
Maybe we could count his salary as the coach and use our space to sign some other players!

You don't need any more players he can do it all now that he has free reign

Ghetto

After thinking about it for a while, I don't think now was the time. What is gained by it? I get trading away guys who are issues in the locker room in the middle of a season as a statement. You still have guys on the roster who can step up. You fire the head coach and now you have a vacancy somewhere.

Why do you fire a Super Bowl winning coach mid-season? Who will you be able to interview at this point in the season? College football bowl season is still going on. The NFL hasn't even finished their regular season. No one worth a dime will be available for a formal interview. You could have started the process (and I'm sure they already have) behind the scenes and kept McCarthy around as coach. The man won a Super Bowl. You still have to pay him until the end of the season. I see no advantage in getting rid of him right now.

It's not like the entire league doesn't hear the rumblings. If we hear it, then it's been going on for a while. Guys are probably informally putting their hat in the ring.

Factors other than McCarthy that have caused a downhill slide:

That bad call against Minnesota where Matthews executed a perfect double leg.
Crosby missing 12 kicks in one game
Montgomery running out of the end zone and fumbling after playing well against the Rams
Kevin King not playing
Perry playing hurt, then going on IR
Daniels is on IR
Rodgers injury has caused him to be erratic with his accuracy
Crosby again missing a makeable FG against the Cardinals
Matthews making no plays at all

I still think he should have been fired. Just not now.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

I think firing him now is actually better for McCarthy. It ends all the speculation and talk show gossip for the next 4 weeks. There would have been questions at every presser for the next 4 weeks. Gives McCarthy a chance to process this and prepare for his next job.

jets152

I think it is better for McCarthy, and I think it also gives the top brass an opportunity to shift responsibilities among the current staff a bit, also, as they look ahead. I don't know if Joe Philbin will be on the short list of head coaching candidates, but this gives the organization a chance to try him out.
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

bigoil

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 04, 2018, 09:37:50 AM
I tend to agree with Houndhead. Why is it more noble, or whatever, to be fired at the end of the year rather than with four games left to play? I'd assume it's pretty brutal to twist in the wind, knowing you're done, but having to put on a masquerade like you're not. Really though, it's probably not that important, either way.

I'll say this about the replacement. My first question to him is this:

You're down 14 midway through the 4th quarter. You score a touchdown. What do you do?

If the answer is anything other than "Go For Two," you show him the door.
Why would you go for two? Are you home or away, were their scores flukes are you winning the line of scrimmage, etc. unless you thought you needed 24 points, not sure what 8 does for you.

imnofish

The Packers put Rodgers in control of the program when they signed him to the huge contract.  With all of the new players, injuries, etc., the last thing they needed was a prima donna rebelling against the head coach.  Rodgers hasn't shown the same motivation level, but they've put all their eggs in his basket.  Too bad he chose to scramble them. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: jets152 on December 05, 2018, 02:51:50 PM
I think it is better for McCarthy, and I think it also gives the top brass an opportunity to shift responsibilities among the current staff a bit, also, as they look ahead. I don't know if Joe Philbin will be on the short list of head coaching candidates, but this gives the organization a chance to try him out.

Let's hope JP is not on the short list. He is the current OC soooooo.

Watching them the next few games will be painful.

bigoil

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 05, 2018, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: bigoil on December 05, 2018, 03:30:30 PM

You're down 14 midway through the 4th quarter. You score a touchdown. What do you do?

Why would you go for two? Are you home or away, were their scores flukes are you winning the line of scrimmage, etc. unless you thought you needed 24 points, not sure what 8 does for you.

Mike, it looks like you're not going to be eligible to be my head coach! You go every single time in that situation, regardless of all the factors you mentioned.
Why?

If you go then, then go all the time.

Do you want me to tell you I'll go for it on 4th down and less than five from my own goal line because my team averages five yards a play?

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on December 05, 2018, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: Luke Louison on December 05, 2018, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: bigoil on December 05, 2018, 03:30:30 PM

Mike, it looks like you're not going to be eligible to be my head coach! You go every single time in that situation, regardless of all the factors you mentioned.
Why?

If you go then, then go all the time.

Do you want me to tell you I'll go for it on 4th down and less than five from my own goal line because my team averages five yards a play?
Lol +1000  I bet that question isn't asked in the interview!

bigoil

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 06, 2018, 10:15:48 AM
I have a more accurate table as well, accounting for the fact that the extra point is only 93.5% successful since they moved it back, but I thought the more simplistic percentages explain it better.
I've seen the table before, except when the packers need 2 yards they throw it for 40, that would be out of the back of the end zone :).