who does the Packers draft?

Started by littleguy301, April 03, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: ramjet on April 28, 2017, 08:10:58 AM
Crazy like a fox if he can do one more trade and pick up another pick in the third he will do it. There are some really good utility players out there yet and they need depth so I will not be surprized to see them move down in the second round and pick a third rounder.

What the heck Cleveland is putting together a college team? How are they going to pay for all these 1st rounders?

Paying 1st rounders is not the same as what it once was. They are slotted into a pay scale by where they are picked. Teams pretty much know what the cost will be before the draft happens.

ramjet

I get that but the second round drafts are lower threshold than first rounders so unless your guy has  be taken round 1 why not take them round 2 fro a better bargain?

ramjet

Solid draft some good size and speed in the secondary. Nice to see Beigle get shot with the Pack.

bigG

Good draft IMO. Vince is gonna roll here. If he and Clay can stay healthy, they'll cause fits. Not just good D linebackers but good tacklers. Big DBs. BYU stud hopefully turns out.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

So, here is what seems to happen each season (as I remember it...)

Of top pics:
One blows out a knee or hamstring in training or first few games and is never the same.
One gets hurt early season and never returns current year, but comes back following year.
One ends up with a concussion and makes it through two years.
We never hear from four of them again (aside from a couple of plays)

One or two play for a few years.

Isn't that the way they say it goes? Well, let's forget all that and have one great season, where they all play and land themselves a superbowl...

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

I saw an interview where McCarthy mentioned Biegel's wrestling background. I wasn't aware that he had wrestled.

Ivan Stankowski

Very average draft, disappointed

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Which way would you take it, Ivan? I liked the logic and who we got. Not tryin' to pick but respect your opinion.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

Vince Biegel? Ugh. Way overdrafted in that round. Won't play a down. Hate that pick. Also hate the RB from Tulane. Great combine numbers, but will be a kick returner only in this offense.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

There has been some interesting talk since the draft. It seems like ILB was not a huge priority because they intend to play Morgan Burnett and 2nd rd pick Josh Jones in more of a hybrid LB/S role.

Ghetto

Quote from: Houndhead on May 02, 2017, 11:13:13 AM
There has been some interesting talk since the draft. It seems like ILB was not a huge priority because they intend to play Morgan Burnett and 2nd rd pick Josh Jones in more of a hybrid LB/S role.

I saw that too. Very interesting. Not sure how that works against say, the Cowboys, but against the huge amount of passing, it seems like a good strategy.

ramjet

Ghetto

Quote from: ramjet on May 02, 2017, 12:19:11 PM
Vince=Special Teams

Totally agree. You can pick those guys up AFTER the draft. Not waste a 4th round (1st pick of that round, no less) on a guy who is never going to be much more than a special teams guy.

Maybe if he would have wrestled...  ;)

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on May 02, 2017, 12:23:54 PM
Quote from: ramjet on May 02, 2017, 12:19:11 PM
Vince=Special Teams

Totally agree. You can pick those guys up AFTER the draft. Not waste a 4th round (1st pick of that round, no less) on a guy who is never going to be much more than a special teams guy.

Maybe if he would have wrestled...  ;)
He's going to prove you wrong.