Jesse Thielke on Greco Changes

Started by Ivan Stankowski, September 26, 2016, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

USA GRECO Reactions From US Greco Athletes And Coaches Regarding Par Terre Rule Change

Jesse Thielke (NYAC) – 59 kg, 2016 Olympian, 2013 World Team member

"I'm the best wrestler in the entire world now. They can't put me down anymore. No one can take me down, we've seen that in the qualifications, I'm the best on my feet. And now when it comes to crunch time, who is going to be better than me? I don't have to worry about pushing the pace, I don't have to worry about getting out of position, I can just wrestle. Because number one, I need three passivity points against me to equal one takedown, and I can take people down. That's my specialty. I told you, I am the best wrestler in the world in Greco right now, possibly pound for pound, we'll wait till after Paris, but you can quote it now if you want. I'm looking forward to it, you know how this helps me."

On US fans' concerns pertaining to the perception that officiating can still be unfavorable towards Americans
"What are people worried about? Have they not seen American wrestlers on our feet? Did they not watch Ben Provisor wrestle at the Olympics?"

On officials penalizing US wrestlers
"That's three points to one takedown! It's one takedown, which we're going to get because they're going to get tired. That's three points to one takedown rather than getting lifted twice and the match is over. That's so beneficial to American wrestlers. The foreigners are screwed. They don't get to go on top of us without taking us down. They have to take us down, they have to rightfully take us down to get on top of us. That's the way it should be, first and foremost, and it is so beneficial to the American style because we push the pace on our feet. It's magical."

How no forced par terre could be a benefit going forward
"We saw what happened last year with Robby (Smith) on his feet. He gassed the Russian and should have won. And now you have all of us, including me: Whoa baby, watch out Paris 2017. Actually, the next four years. They can tweak it and adjust it, but it's been at Juniors for two years at least, so we saw it coming.

We're excited for it because we're all really good on our feet. Hopefully, it brings Robby and (Andy) Bisek back for one more year, with the rule changes because they are pivotal points for our Olympic/World Team for next year. I've got my hands together praying because I love those guys.

I'm excited because now I know I'm the most dangerous wrestler in the world because no one can take me down. And I have the best duck under in the world and I'm ambitious, so as soon as I get my body healthy, watch out. I have nothing to worry about anymore. I'm excited, this is what I was hoping for."

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

Like the confidence, I hope it translates into what will be a dominating sport and not a bunch of passivity calls.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin