Thielke

Started by bucking it up, January 08, 2016, 02:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

I heard he's going to Rutgers.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: leg turk on January 09, 2016, 09:55:37 AM
I heard he's going to Rutgers.

Can you imagine how this website would blow up if that happened. :) I am still sticking with UNC

Micah

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 09, 2016, 09:53:54 AM
Quote from: Goat Roper on January 09, 2016, 09:37:59 AM
I say no college and he will concentrate on Greco.

Not disagreeing just very strange to ask for a release if he has no plans on wrestling in college

Agree, why ask for a release unless you plan to return to college and compete next year after the Olympics? 

Turk, are you just being funny about Rutgers?

leg turk

Quote from: Micah on January 09, 2016, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 09, 2016, 09:53:54 AM
Quote from: Goat Roper on January 09, 2016, 09:37:59 AM
I say no college and he will concentrate on Greco.

Not disagreeing just very strange to ask for a release if he has no plans on wrestling in college

Agree, why ask for a release unless you plan to return to college and compete next year after the Olympics? 

Turk, are you just being funny about Rutgers?

Yes

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I presume he will not go to another Big 10 team because he would have to probably sit out a year.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrestle03

He's done wrestling in college, period. He's a Greco guy and in case some of you have forgotten it did not translate onto the mat in college wrestling. Let's be honest, he wasn't really ever competitive and was out-muscled and out-wrestled by every guy he faced in the top 25. What makes you think he goes somewhere else and is all of a sudden an all American? Not happening. Not every guy makes the cut in D1 wrestling. State titles are a dime a dozen and mean jack crap. This is me just being honest and in no way trying to bash anyone.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: wrestle03 on January 09, 2016, 12:08:47 PM
He's done wrestling in college, period. He's a Greco guy and in case some of you have forgotten it did not translate onto the mat in college wrestling. Let's be honest, he wasn't really ever competitive and was out-muscled and out-wrestled by every guy he faced in the top 25. What makes you think he goes somewhere else and is all of a sudden an all American? Not happening. Not every guy makes the cut in D1 wrestling. State titles are a dime a dozen and mean jack crap. This is me just being honest and in no way trying to bash anyone.

Why would he ask for a release in he had no intention of wrestling in college in the future? On the surface it does not make sense.

At 133, he placed 6th at Midlands as a true freshman. So he has the potential to wrestle well in college. I do agree that he was outmuscled at 141 last year - he will have to decide whether to wrestle at 133 or 141.  If he decides on 141, he will need to bulk up to compete.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Micah

Things could be different if after Rio he concentrates on collegiate wrestling.  He use to wrestle folkstyle really well, guys have wrestled Greco and competed at the college level.  Most of them have been Gophers.  He is better than what the Badgers currently have at 141 and about 60 other schools.  Am I expecting him to comeback and win NCAA titles no, be competitive yes!  Who knows what might happen if he gets in the right situation.  Obviously something was not right for him at the UW, change the scenery who knows with his talent.

mkm13

I think it will be very difficult for him to have the success he expects in folkstyle if his folkstyle weight is 141 and his Greco weight is 130. That is a lot of strength to give up, especially when he has never focused on folkstyle all year.

wrestler_73

Jesse leaving is a good thing for the Badgers because it provides an opportunity for another scholarship.  However, I am concerned about the ability to bring in/and or develop the talent to make a difference with BD in charge.  Jesse was one of the best high school wrestlers ever in the state...like many good./great HS wrestlers it does not always transfer to college wrestling success regardless of Angryfish confidence that Jesse would "rag doll" Stieber...He's loyal to Jesse..understood.  If there is not a change, we will get the same thing we have had for 20+years.

Great to have Coconut Joe back on the board!

wrestlinglife1

Northern Michigan University? Train Greco and finish school. Win/ Win

stp

Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on January 09, 2016, 10:35:50 PM

Two thumbs up

From Milwaukee to St Paris.

bigoil

UWSP like the great Dennis Hall, he'd have an excellent training partner.

jchap

Quote from: stp on January 10, 2016, 12:20:49 AM
Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on January 09, 2016, 10:35:50 PM

Two thumbs up

That would be quite a step down in educational prestige.

Micah

Who would be his training partner at UWSP??? Dennis must be 50, I have no doubt he is probably as good once as he ever was but to be able to do full workouts at an Olympic quality level I am not so sure.  JT is not in HS anymore.

NCO makes more sense, wrestle for Nickerson and train at the OTC.