Possible D3 Re Alignment for the 2016-2017 season

Started by DarkKnight, May 25, 2015, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

There are many substantial reasons for moving Stratford out to Sectional D, and moving one of those other teams that have farther to travel to Dodgeland (like Mishicot, Montello, Lourdes Academy, Brillion, etc) to Bonduel (SECTIONAL B).

The Bonduel Sectional produced 6 state champs last year, while Sectional D produced 0 state champs.

The Bonduel Sectional produced 32% of the state placewinners, while the Dodgeland Sectional produced 15.5% of the state place winners.

Lastly, the Bonduel sectional features 2 of the top 3 teams in the state, Stratford and Coleman, and I believe both teams deserve to get to Madison.

Random Lake is a good team, but not one capable of winning the state title, where as Coleman and Stratford had a dog fight last February and are bound to have many more dogfights in the next 5 or so years, as they have great young talent.

I just don't see it as fair, and I see it as something the people higher up could do something about.

aarons23

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bfboy

First off, I think the title of this thread is incorrect.  It should read "Dark Knight's recommended changes so that Coleman can get back to state next year." 

Every year there are two to three teams that could make it out of a sectional, next year it looks like Coleman might be on the short end of the stick in their sectional.  We've all been there, it sucks, but not much you can about it.  I think if any team in the state (D3) has ammunition to complain it would be Boyceville, who lost to the state champion by 3 in their dual meet (without Micah Johnson) and then by 8 at Regionals. 

If you want some interesting readings, feel free to check out my post from earlier this year.

http://wiwrestling.info/index.php?topic=46660.msg575093#msg575093

Happy Memorial Day everyone and keep up all the hard work to all those Wisconsin kids who are busting their butt in the off season to get better. 

slewguy

It is impossible to get the best kids or teams to state in any sport.  In wrestling, some sectionals are stacked with many deserving kids while other may have an easier road--- I have known many quality wrestlers that never qualified for the WIAA State tournament--  I have learned through time that there is no easy road to state and now focus on the efforts of each individual wrestler.  Some of my best wrestlers who have worked hard  for years have been unable to make it because there were some studs in the same area-- I have seen other kids get to state who have not put in the time but ended up in a favorable weight or bracket. 

wrastle63

Why can't the sectionals at least be seeded. I know at times Edgar and Coleman I believe wrestled first round of Team Sectionals. Why not have a coaches meeting after Christmas and seed the teams. Those teams would then be sent to regionals based on their seeding so that you can at least get 3 good duals at Team Sectionals. In years past I have watched some matchups where the team can't even get close to filling a team and loses 70-7(just an example). I think that would make team sectionals better! Football does this type of seeding in the playoffs. Why can't wrestling do something similar.

Firstinline

The topic of getting the "Correct" teams to team state has been discussed on this forum for years. The sport of wrestling and its supporters must not carry much clout with the WIAA and it's governing body. Posters on this forum have been asking for years to no longer have "Individual" Regional Team winners be the representative at Team Sectionals. Nothing gets done. Seeding wrestling like is done for football and basketball would at least be a start to getting the better schools a chance to prove themselves. (Seed the teams based off from Conference records) The current system just does not do this. Have the first weekend in Feb to be the start of "Team" Regionals, and if schools want to have conference tourneys, they can schedule them for the last weekend of Jan. Like I said it would at least be a start. Further separating the likes of Stratford, Coleman, Boyceville and Random Lake could then be considered by a seeding committee.

SP

one of the reasons that teams are stuck together is that teams rise to the level of their competition. Good coaches will see what they have to do to get to the level of their competition and they work to get there. I do not disagree that it would be nice to have the top teams at the best event but I do not see a plan to make that happen year in and year out.

Other sports have the same issue. Baseball has had some great teams lose out in sectionals as well. A few years back Sun Prairie beat a team that was ranked really high and could have competed for the title. Not sure the year or team but just recall situations like that in many sports.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

DarkKnight

True, It is my recommended change. I am not going to lie.

But I didn't like seeing Stratford fail to get to state this past year, and knowing the incoming freshmen groups from Coleman and Stratford, I know they both have strong teams in contention for the title.

Also, like I mentioned, the regional involving Lourdes Academy, Mishicot, and such, which are actually closer to Bonduel/Shawano than Sectional D, would be wiser.

I am not too far fetched, I think they will consider it... just not for the upcoming season, but possibly the next one.

foose4

Why would the WIAA move Stratford from the Bonduel Sectional to Dodgeland.  That would add over an 1:15 to the trip one way.  I don't even think this idea will get a sniff from the WIAA.  Plus there are two teams (Auburndale & Pittsville) in their regional that are closer to Dodgeland than Stratford. 
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

DarkKnight

True.

But if you look at the regional involving Laconia, Markesan, etc, they are actually in the East, and much farther than Dodgeland than the regional involving Stratford, Auburndale, etc.

I understand why the change and idea is resisted, and if it doesn't happen, o well. It wont ruin my enjoyment of the sport.

I just push for more flexibility so the top tier teams can square of at state, instead of sectionals, where so possible. I understand if 2 teams, like in D2 where O Falls, LC, Two Rivers, and Freedom, etc, are all in the same region, but even then, one of those teams could travel, if they would be willing.

padre

Since there has never been a change in the Two Rivers regional which could have easily moved them south and made for a bit more of parity between the two regionals I don't think any are really looked at for that reason...except maybe years ago when Rapids got moved.

There may be a little change also as I believe Bonduel and Amherst will have a higher student population this year than Wittenberg-Birnamood which will add a few more very good wrestlers to the mix the following year.

wrestle84

Quote from: Firstinline on May 26, 2015, 07:24:29 AM
The topic of getting the "Correct" teams to team state has been discussed on this forum for years. The sport of wrestling and its supporters must not carry much clout with the WIAA and it's governing body. Posters on this forum have been asking for years to no longer have "Individual" Regional Team winners be the representative at Team Sectionals. Nothing gets done. Seeding wrestling like is done for football and basketball would at least be a start to getting the better schools a chance to prove themselves. (Seed the teams based off from Conference records) The current system just does not do this. Have the first weekend in Feb to be the start of "Team" Regionals, and if schools want to have conference tourneys, they can schedule them for the last weekend of Jan. Like I said it would at least be a start. Further separating the likes of Stratford, Coleman, Boyceville and Random Lake could then be considered by a seeding committee.

Have the posters on this forum made their views known to the WIAA, or do you expect the WIAA to comb the wrestling forums looking for gripes from anonymous posters?

foose4

Quote from: padre on May 27, 2015, 02:02:32 AM
There may be a little change also as I believe Bonduel and Amherst will have a higher student population this year than Wittenberg-Birnamood which will add a few more very good wrestlers to the mix the following year.

According to the numbers from the WIAA bulletin for enrollment numbers for 2015-16, W-B is at 350, Bonduel 326 and Amherst 303 with Stratford going down to 300 so I don't think that is changing anything this year.  It may sometime but not right now.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

Firstinline

I believe "Woody" has stated before on this forum that the coaches association has presented numerous proposals to the WIAA Board in the past with no success if I remember correctly.

nutman

The regional with- Boscobel, Fennimore, Iowa-Grant/Highland, Lancaster, Mineral Point, River Ridge/Cassville,
Riverdale is no cake walk.  If you have success changing your regional around, put in a good word for this one as well.

Thanks!