Full wrestlebacks at state

Started by peeweespop, February 24, 2014, 10:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Quote from: Tews19 on February 24, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
At WWF Kids State I believe a kid can lose their first match and still wrestle back no matter how their opponent who beat them did in the second round.

Wasn't in the early 2000's or late 90's when a kid lost their first match at Regionals and was done? Why did it change to a wrestler can lose the first match at regionals and wrestle back to fourth?

Because team points mattered on who qualifies for team state
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

whatever

QuoteWasn't in the early 2000's or late 90's when a kid lost their first match at Regionals and was done? Why did it change to a wrestler can lose the first match at regionals and wrestle back to fourth?

To eliminate the possibility that an incorrect seeding by coaches would prevent a wrestler from advancing to Sectionals.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Houndhead

If D2 and D3 went to 8 sectionals and advanced the top 2, they could eliminate regionals.

neutral

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 24, 2014, 11:26:18 AM
I have always thought they should D1 just like D2 and D3 and then just allow 4 wild card picks like they do for the NCAA.

These could be wrestlers that were knocked out at regionals or sectionals.  Just a way to try and get the best 16 down there regardless of geography.  The state experience is special and losing out because of geography is rough.

This would be way too politcal ... or at least strongly disagreeable - just like seeding ... which is impractical.

The least that should be done is double elimination.  Wrestlebacks to 2nd would be outstanding - but IMO ... is not a high priority.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

woody53

The big issue has to do with how the WIAA runs all their State Tournaments, not just the Wrestling. The ultimate goal is to award an overall Champion. How that trickles down to consolation competition is dependent on how much support is given to each proposal and each sport. We are truly lucky to have what we do, when you look at other high school sports.  Do we want more? oh yes. But a little at a time.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

DocWrestling

For example, tennis is single elimination

boowrestle

4 wildcards???Who would be deciding on who gets the wild cards?this would be asking for trouble.
you can run but you cannot hide.

DocWrestling

Quote from: boowrestle on February 24, 2014, 07:13:01 PM
4 wildcards???Who would be deciding on who gets the wild cards?this would be asking for trouble.

Personally I think it would be easy through the use of online polls or surveys.  Nominations in by Sunday at noon after sectionals.  Could even have a coach submit the bio of credentials  wins and losses for that athlete.  Would probably be maybe 10 wrestlers that it would be between that were either eliminated at regionals in D2 or D3 or just missed at sectionals

List the athletes and every coach in that division gets to vote for 4 different wrestlers.  The wrestlers with the most votes wins the nod.  What bias would that be when every coach has a say?  Voting could be done by 10pm Sunday night and those 4 wrestlers would know by Monday morning.

imnofish

Quote from: Numbers on February 24, 2014, 12:32:14 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2014, 11:36:07 AM
The first step to getting it right would be advancing 3 wrestlers at Regionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd, so you can do it all in one day.  Then take top 4 from Sectionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd.  Sectionals would run Fri. Night and all day on Sat. 

Don't think a Friday/Saturday sectional will ever happen.  Maybe if the regional weekend becomes a regional dual meet tournament to select the team champions for advancing (each team gets 2 or 3 duals - basic 8 team bracketing with seeding).  Then individuals might need Friday and Saturday for a Super Sectional to determine individual state qualifiers.

D2 and D3 four sectionals were needed when state was 8 man brackets.  Then adjusted to have 12 man brackets.  If they ever go to 16 man brackets, I assume having 8 sectionals like D1 will be an option.  (Unless D1 also moves to taking top 4 from 4 sectionals)  Of course if D2 and D3 expand to 16 qualifiers there are more Kohl Center scheduling issues.  Session 1-Thursday morning!

What I described is essentially what they do in Illinois.  It works out fine for them.  No reason why we can't do it in Wisconsin, IMO.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

stbird

Totally agree!  Full wrestlebacks make sense like virtually every tournament the kids wrestle. 

visionquest

At WWF Kids State I believe a kid can lose their first match and still wrestle back no matter how their opponent who beat them did in the second round.

Wasn't in the early 2000's or late 90's when a kid lost their first match at Regionals and was done? Why did it change to a wrestler can lose the first match at regionals and wrestle back to fourth?

It also use to be lose your first match at Sectionals, you are done.  Now you can make it back to second, IF the guy who beat you in the first round wins it all.
Proverbs 27:17

Quack

Quote from: visionquest on February 25, 2014, 07:54:51 AM

It also use to be lose your first match at Sectionals, you are done.  Now you can make it back to second, IF the guy who beat you in the first round wins it all.

He only has to win the next round
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

hasbeen

Quote from: Quack on February 25, 2014, 08:00:57 AM

He only has to win the next round

No if he wins the next round and loses in the finals you don't get a wrestle back... ;)

boowrestle

Quack only in div1 does he have to only win next match?div 2/3 guy you lost to has to win in finals.
you can run but you cannot hide.

DrWhargoul

Quote from: visionquest on February 25, 2014, 07:54:51 AM

It also use to be lose your first match at Sectionals, you are done.  Now you can make it back to second, IF the guy who beat you in the first round wins it all.

I think you're mistaken.  If you go on track everyone that lost their first match at Sectionals this year was done.  D1, at least.

EDIT: Peeked at a D2.  Those look a bit different.
JYD96