Big Matches/Big Wins/Upsets? (Jan 19-25)

Started by Houndhead, January 24, 2014, 07:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ino

Quote from: Houndhead on January 25, 2014, 10:03:23 PM

Merrill defeated Stoughton 37-31.
Pulaski defeated Merrill 28-25.
Stoughton defeated Pulaski 29-27.

Looks like it was a wild day in Whitnall, from JSonline:

Pewaukee (16-5 overall record) was the highest finishing Milwaukee area team in fourth place with a 2-3 record, qualifying for the championship pool by winning its first two duals and then losing tough duals to tournament champion Merrill (16-1), runner-up Stoughton (17-2) and third-place finisher Pulaski (19-3).

Merrill, Stoughton and Pulaski all finished the tournament with 4-1 records, and the teams beat each other in the round-robin during the championship pool. Merrill, ranked No. 2 in the state by wiwrestling.com, won the team title by a tie-breaker with 62 points scored in the two duals between the other tied teams.

Pewaukee wrestled well in the duals but just couldn't win the close matches against the top three teams. The Pirates lost to Pulaski, ranked No. 7 by the Crossface in Division 1, 29-28; lost to Stoughton, ranked No. 9 in D1 by wiwrestling.com, 35-26; and was blown out by Merrill, ranked No. 2 in both polls in Division 1, 43-11.

"I was happy to see that we belonged (in the championship room)," said Pewaukee coach Ed Kurth, whose team holds the No. 6 ranking in both polls. "We definitely could have won two out of three (duals) in here. I don't know if we didn't have the focus or the technique or what. We had to be a tiny bit better against Stoughton and Pulaski. I think it's great to get us realizing what we have to do next month."

Pewaukee split its 14 matches against Pulaski and won three matches decided by two points or fewer but lost another and gave up a costly pin. Against Stoughton, Pewaukee won six of the 14 matches and split the four close matches but gave up three pins and two technical falls.

The Merrill match looked like a blowout as Pewaukee won only three of the 14 matches. But Merrill won all five matches decided by four points or fewer in what was a very physical championship pool.

statman

Evan Garcia lost to Adams from fondy.
Nelson lost a close one to price and then beat toshner from fondy
they don't call me statman for nothin

NWIS

#5 Kasson/Mantorville beat Ellsworth, #3AAA Prior Lake beat K/M, Ellsworth beat Prior Lake.

The Last Ride

Quote from: Houndhead on January 25, 2014, 06:03:06 PM
Andrew Smith (Amery) 27-3, So. over Austin Wolfe (Boyceville) 28-1, Jr. (MD 10-0).

Smith looked really good and was a big 106.
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

The Last Ride

Sawyer Massie (Hudson)10 #14 D1 26-6 won by decision over Trevor Ackman (Spencer)12 #5 23-3 (Dec 6-1)
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

pedro

Quote from: statman on January 26, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Evan Garcia lost to Adams from fondy.
Nelson lost a close one to price and then beat toshner from fondy

Toshner beat Price(who Nelson lost a close one to) but then Nelson beat Toshner - 8-5.