Iowa st, Nov 19th

Started by leg turk, November 12, 2023, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Looking forward to 165. Can Dean pull off the win vs Carr? A great early season test!

leg turk

What do you guys think, any predictions?

charteroak1

125 - #5 Barnett vs. #17 Kysen Terukina - 4-0
133 -    Rivera vs.  #18 Evan Frost - 4-3
141 -    Lettini vs. #27 Jacob Frost - 4-6
149 - #14 Zargo vs.  #15 Anthony Echemendia - 4-9 This one is going to be a good match-up.
157 -  Mechler/Goebel vs. #19 Cody Chittum - 4-13
165 - #4 Hamiti vs.  #2 David Carr - 4-16
174 - #25 Maylor vs. #22 MJ Gaitan - 7-16
184 -  Liegel vs. #5 Will Feldkamp - 7-20
197 -  Talshahar vs. #25 Julien Broderson - 7-23
285 -  Christensen (Wishing Copass would have stuck around) vs. Yonger Bastida - 7-27

I think it's going to be a long trip back to Madison after this one.  I don't think the Badgers match-up very well at all. 

vsmf2010

WS had it close the other day when I looked at it but now it is 23 - 12 with UW winning at 25, 49, 57 and 65. Unfortunately I do not see it that close. Barnett is favored but Terukina did beat him last year. I see EB getting this one. Echemendia is a wild card. He can be really good and explosive but have also seen him gas so hopefully Joey can weather the storm and wear him out. Chittum is a straight up stud. Mechler is going to have his hands full to keep this one close. DJ/Carr is the match of the dual and hopefully he can turn this one around.

As far as the other 6 I do not see anything particularly competitive so probably going to be a pretty lopsided dual.

vsmf2010

Quote from: vsmf2010 on November 15, 2023, 11:16:58 AMWS had it close the other day when I looked at it but now it is 23 - 12 with UW winning at 25, 49, 57 and 65. Unfortunately I do not see it that close. Barnett is favored but Terukina did beat him last year. I see EB getting this one. Echemendia is a wild card. He can be really good and explosive but have also seen him gas so hopefully Joey can weather the storm and wear him out. Chittum is a straight up stud. Mechler is going to have his hands full to keep this one close. DJ/Carr is the match of the dual and hopefully he can turn this one around.

As far as the other 6 I do not see anything particularly competitive so probably going to be a pretty lopsided dual.

Once caveat. I am not sure who is going at 74 but that certainly could be competitive regardless of who the Badgers put out there. I would love to see what Condon can do against better competition. Did not learn much from the MSU open and in retrospect would have liked to have seen him in the open division.

vsmf2010

On a related note. I am surprised to see Frost in at 41 over Redding and Echemndia in a 49 over Swiderski. Seemed like they were the expected starters with Johnson out with the gambling issues and both moving up. They were both round of 12 guys last year. Swiderski was up and down but he had great match again Joey and went right down to the wire with Woods in the Iowa dual.

wrastle63

Echemendia is going down to 141 and Swiderski will be 149. Might not be for the dual, but sounds like what their lineup may look like in the future.

charteroak1

Anthony beat Swiderski 4-3 in the wrestle-off about 3 weeks ago.  If that is the case and Echimendia does make the cut, he will be a huge 141 lber. That will be a tough 4 guys to get through from 141-165.  I think Chittum is under ranked at #19 as well. 

Might just have to lick your wounds and get ready for Bucknell. 

vsmf2010

100% agree on Chittum. He may actually be a title contender.

BadgerOne

Dean Hamiti might be the most consistent wrestler in NCAA history so far.  He is undefeated against everyone he is favored to win and has lost every match as an underdog.  His collective record against Marinelli, Griffith, Cam Amine, David Carr, Quincy Monday and Keegan O'Toole is 0-10 (0-11 if you count All-star match vs OToole), and he is 58-0 against everyone else.  Can Dean break this streak and finally beat an elite wrestler that is better than Patrick Kennedy, Carson Kharchla or Julian Ramirez?

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on November 15, 2023, 02:16:59 PMDean Hamiti might be the most consistent wrestler in NCAA history so far.  He is undefeated against everyone he is favored to win and has lost every match as an underdog.  His collective record against Marinelli, Griffith, Cam Amine, David Carr, Quincy Monday and Keegan O'Toole is 0-10 (0-11 if you count All-star match vs OToole), and he is 58-0 against everyone else.  Can Dean break this streak and finally beat an elite wrestler that is better than Patrick Kennedy, Carson Kharchla or Julian Ramirez?

That is a pretty special group! It does seem like he is not same wrestler against that group which is interesting and hopefully he can get over that hump. Granted they are all very good which makes it harder to get to his stuff that works on everyone else. I definitely feel like he can beat Amine. Those matches have been too tight imo and more activity and exchanges would benefit DJ against him. I do feel like once he beats Amine the first time the future matches will not be that close.

I also feel like he could have beaten Marinelli or Monday but the other 3 I am not as sure. O'Toole and Carr present a different challenge because they negate a lot of the advantages that DJ has although he did have Carr in a cradle last time and if he is not near the boundary who knows. Griffith is just a flat out gamer. He is not flashy but in the big matches he generally finds a way. Probably not going to see that match again in college.

That being said DJ's ceiling is so high that nothing would surprise me!

WiscFan

Not a bad prediction Charteroak. I'll counter and say Badgers will win 49, 65, and 74.

Sudden Death

Quote from: wrastle63 on November 15, 2023, 12:03:51 PMEchemendia is going down to 141 and Swiderski will be 149. Might not be for the dual, but sounds like what their lineup may look like in the future.

I pretty sure he will be going down to 141 for the dual.

charteroak1

WiscFan, I did take Maylor, just by experience only.  I do think Zargo can hang with Echemendia, especially if he can control the pace.  With the new 3pt, of Anthony gets a quick takedown or two it could be over.  At 165 until I see DJ beat a highly ranked opponent, as you see in the 0-11 vs. guys ranked ahead of him, I have to go with Carr.   

npope

Quote from: BadgerOne on November 15, 2023, 02:16:59 PMDean Hamiti might be the most consistent wrestler in NCAA history so far.  He is undefeated against everyone he is favored to win and has lost every match as an underdog.  His collective record against Marinelli, Griffith, Cam Amine, David Carr, Quincy Monday and Keegan O'Toole is 0-10 (0-11 if you count All-star match vs OToole), and he is 58-0 against everyone else.  Can Dean break this streak and finally beat an elite wrestler that is better than Patrick Kennedy, Carson Kharchla or Julian Ramirez?

Sounds like a pretty good job by those rank wrestlers at that weight  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope