Intermat inteview with Bono

Started by charteroak1, October 31, 2023, 08:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charteroak1

I didn't see this posted already so I thought I would pass it along. 

https://rokfin.com/post/152403/2023-Preseason-Talk-with-Wisconsin-Head-Coach-Chris-Bono

Any news as to the lineup this weekend or will we have to wait until Sunday to find out?
Any early predictions?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

vsmf2010

Quote from: charteroak1 on October 31, 2023, 08:38:31 AMI didn't see this posted already so I thought I would pass it along. 

https://rokfin.com/post/152403/2023-Preseason-Talk-with-Wisconsin-Head-Coach-Chris-Bono

Any news as to the lineup this weekend or will we have to wait until Sunday to find out?
Any early predictions?

125 and 165 – clearly settled here and nothing to really discuss
149 – as long as Joey is healthy he is clearly the guy here
184 – Liegel is the only 184 on the roster and I do not see any of the 174's bumping up and beating him so I think this is his spot if healthy
157 – I think Mechler is the guy here
141 – Lettini is the only 141 on the roster so unless 1 of the 133's is going up or Sheen or George is going down the spot seems to be his
174 – I am sure with the transfer the expectation is Maylor here but Otto has starting experience and Condon is a stud so I am sure they will get a look at least at the MSU open and maybe in some of the early duals
285 – Christensen has starting experience at 197 and has settle into the weight class so he is probably the guy but I liked what I saw from Rosenfeld last year so he could be in the mix. Klarkowski is the wild card. Walked on and became a D1 starter in football so clearly the dude is tough and motivated. Been away from wrestling for a while and that could be tough
197 – Tal-Shahar is listed on WS as the starter but with Russo moving down to 197 this one seems like a toss up. Probably going to see some of each until the end of 1st semester when they will have to make a decision on Russo and the redshirt. If I was a betting man I would probably bet Russo but just slightly
133 – This one is wide open. No idea. Could be Rivera, Coy, Bobzien or Fugitt. Hopefully a couple of them can make 125 next year

Hungus

Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 31, 2023, 09:12:18 PM
Quote from: charteroak1 on October 31, 2023, 08:38:31 AM285 – Christensen has starting experience at 197 and has settle into the weight class so he is probably the guy but I liked what I saw from Rosenfeld last year so he could be in the mix. Klarkowski is the wild card. Walked on and became a D1 starter in football so clearly the dude is tough and motivated. Been away from wrestling for a while and that could be tough

Klarkowski is a practice body in my opinion, hasn't wrestled since Sr HS in 2019, you don't compete at the D1 level after a long break like that.

I was impressed by Gannon last season, but strong athletic kid.
Do we see PC all year, before Amos makes the jump next season.
You're killing me Smalls!!!

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 31, 2023, 09:12:18 PM
Quote from: charteroak1 on October 31, 2023, 08:38:31 AMI didn't see this posted already so I thought I would pass it along. 

Any early predictions?

125 and 165 – clearly settled here and nothing to really discuss
149 – as long as Joey is healthy he is clearly the guy here
184 – Liegel is the only 184 on the roster and I do not see any of the 174's bumping up and beating him so I think this is his spot if healthy
157 – I think Mechler is the guy here
141 – Lettini is the only 141 on the roster so unless 1 of the 133's is going up or Sheen or George is going down the spot seems to be his
174 – I am sure with the transfer the expectation is Maylor here but Otto has starting experience and Condon is a stud so I am sure they will get a look at least at the MSU open and maybe in some of the early duals
285 – Christensen has starting experience at 197 and has settle into the weight class so he is probably the guy but I liked what I saw from Rosenfeld last year so he could be in the mix. Klarkowski is the wild card. Walked on and became a D1 starter in football so clearly the dude is tough and motivated. Been away from wrestling for a while and that could be tough
197 – Tal-Shahar is listed on WS as the starter but with Russo moving down to 197 this one seems like a toss up. Probably going to see some of each until the end of 1st semester when they will have to make a decision on Russo and the redshirt. If I was a betting man I would probably bet Russo but just slightly
133 – This one is wide open. No idea. Could be Rivera, Coy, Bobzien or Fugitt. Hopefully a couple of them can make 125 next year

I don't see Lettini being the starter for the season.  Most likely it will be one of the guys listed at 133 but if George or Sheen can make 141 they would likely start ahead of Lettini too.  My best guess is Fuggit at 133 and Bobzien up at 141 though I think if George or Sheen or both drop, it could be any of the three.  I think Rivera is undersized for 133 and is most likely being groomed to be the heir apparent at 125 once Eric Barnett is gone.  I also think 197 is going to be Russo and I don't think it will be close.  Heavyweight probably is most interesting weight as there seems to be a lot of parity there.  In any event, whoever wins out will probably hold the spot for just a year as we have Dillan Johnson coming in next year and he likely dominates anybody currently at the weight.

charteroak1

125 Barnett
133 Rivera - I think he gets the nod early, however that might change after a few of the opens.  I was expecting some better results out of him last year.
141 Lettini
149 Zargo - Hoping for Joey to turn that corner with the new weight and change the script on some of the tight L's he took last year.
157 Mechler
165 DJ
174 Maylor - Will be interesting to see what he can do after a career at UM. 
184 Leigel -Does DIII success translate to DI.  We will find out.
197 Russo - For as much as they are talking about him and him making the cut down I think he's the guy at this spot.
285 Peter - I don't want to look in to next season already, but this weight is going to get very interesting.  With everyone returning and you bring in like you mentioned Johnson and Amos, Peter will be back, Klarkowski, Empey, Schmidtke and Rosenfeld.  Is this the last we see of Amos?  With NIL does Braxton get offered any from another University.  Do some of the younger guys head elsewhere?  I guess we'll get to those decisions come seasons end.