Northern Iowa

Started by leg turk, February 22, 2024, 09:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 09, 2024, 07:05:19 AMwrestlemania :  If you think the current state of the Badger program is in a good position and is trending upward you are blind and delusional.  When you cannot lock in any of the top / elite  AWA recruits you have a big problem.  Keep drinking the koolaid on the mantra of "next year".  Chris Bono has not gotten the job done.
When you wrote that about Barry Davis, what was different then?

wrestle03

What was different then is AWA was not remotely close to the powerhouse that they are now - they were not turning out the number of blue chip recruits as they are now. AWA is simply a stocking program for Missouri and Minnesota because Bono cannot or is not willing to mend whatever bridge(s) he's burned with Askren.

wrestlemania

Basically what you're saying is either whoever the coach is at UW either has to be be Askren's puppet or kisses his rings to get his recruits to be successful (which nearly all coaches worth their salt will not do), or better yet, hire the man who runs the club these recruits belong to. Got it.

I want you to name me another college wrestling program that has to prostrate itself to a local wrestling club and their "Director" in the same fashion in order to be successful. And if that's the case, then it's not worth it.

wrestlemania

You think Cael Sanderson buys Ben's groceries for him?

Thanks for playing.

wrestle03

harley25 - How come only Bono has to deal with the "supposed" Askrent garbage?
You know why?  Beause Bono is the one who created it, its done and over, and he burned that proverbial bridge forever.  Missouri and Penn State seem to have no issue with Askren or recruiting AWA kids - time for everyone to figure out that Bono is the issue ........................

harley25

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 10, 2024, 07:11:53 PMharley25 - How come only Bono has to deal with the "supposed" Askrent garbage?
You know why?  Beause Bono is the one who created it, its done and over, and he burned that proverbial bridge forever.  Missouri and Penn State seem to have no issue with Askren or recruiting AWA kids - time for everyone to figure out that Bono is the issue ........................

This ?? Should be directed at wrestle mania, as I am on the same page as you are on. It doesn't seem to be any issues at Missouri or Penn State.

wrestlemania

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 10, 2024, 07:11:53 PMharley25 - How come only Bono has to deal with the "supposed" Askrent garbage?

Bono might dispute that but okay.

He may very be the issue...until the next coach comes along and then "he" becomes the issue. Just like Davis was too. As I said, the only way this works now is Askren is hired as the head coach, or the head coach is one Askren designates or the new head coach washes Ben and Max's cars every week, even during the season as cold as that would be. 

wrestle03

harlyey25 - my apologies - that shouldnt have been directed towards you.  I doubt Askren wants the job - he'd have to take a pay cut and give up alot of the freedom he has in running one of the premiere clubs in the country.

DocWrestling

Davis wanted nothing to do with Askren.  Bono tried to bring him in and that blew up.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

hornbuckleb

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 11, 2024, 10:05:35 AMDavis wanted nothing to do with Askren.  Bono tried to bring him in and that blew up.

Maybe they both should have  ;)

But you can't just try to try