Northwestern at Wisconsin January 7

Started by Harris, January 01, 2022, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 07, 2022, 10:18:58 PM
Definitely not ideal that the 2 highest ranks guys both were upset. Cannot think of that ever happening in a Big Ten dual before for the UW and still winning the dual

Crowd was really light today and quite a bit stunned through the first 3 matches. One of the lightest crowds I can remember is a while. We had such a good crowd for Buffalo so I was expecting a little more. Was quite cold and lots of HS wrestling on Fridays so I assume that was part of it. Hoping for a better crowd on Sunday

Barnett seemed in control when he made a big mistake that cost him so that sucked. He can definitely beat that guy so that is certainly something to build on

Burwick wrestled pretty well against a tough guy and plenty to build on there

Zargo let a guy off the hook who was completely gassed. Like to have that one back. Needed more pressure and another take down in the 3rd to ice the match

Gomez wrestled great and is a threat to beat anyone at the weight except for probably Yianni

Model wrestled pretty well against Deakin. Kept it to a decision so definitely did his job for the team there

Hamiti did what he could against a guy who really was not interested in wrestling him

McNally is not firing on all cylinders yet but nice job pulling out the win

Weiler got a major and shut out his opponent. Would have been nice to get more but the guy was really defensive on bottom so hard to get to his cradle or any other turns going

Amos blew out a guy who was really not good at all. Did what he had to do

Hillger failed on the first few attempts to get out which is really unusual for him and then things kind of just spiraled from there. He had the only takedown which is generally enough at HWT. Tough loss but not a devastating one. He looks good and will keep getting better

Great summary! 

The Gomez match was the highlight of the night for me.  I love his fight in every position.  The McNally win was super exciting especially considering that McNally lost to Fisher the last time they wrestled.  The most interesting thing about the Hamiti match was that the Northwestern staff game planned against some of Hamiti's attacks so Hamiti just went to something different.  That shows a great sense of maturity and awareness during the match.  He sure is exciting to watch and taller than I realized once I saw him in person.  I was sitting right next to the Northwestern staff and Howe kept telling the wrestlers to snap and go.  It actually was working against the first 3 wrestlers but then the middle weights I noticed the Badger wrestlers were blocking under the neck with their hand during their ties.  Not sure if this was an athlete or coaching adjustment but it was noticeable from where I was sitting matside with a few wrestlers and helped tremendously.  Trent Hillger is fast.  I think he wins that match if they wrestle it again.  If you look at the exchange where the match turns, Hillger is riding pretty high and Davison has his foot after Hillger put in legs.  That one position turned the match.  I had a blast and really enjoy the atmosphere at the field house.  I was also surprised how good the food is at Sconnies Bar.

onwisconsin

Overall I am pumped.  Up and down our line-up we are fun to watch and way more aggressive than we used to be.  I am starting to love the mentality on the mat, which has not always been the case.  This to me is both coaching and recruiting. 

At this point of the season Barnett is better than last year I believe.  Great to see him hit the firemans.  He made 1 big mistake and in the big ten that can more times than not cost you the match. 

I see growth in Burwick and like watching him scrap.

Zargo is a treat to watch.  He has the motor and I already believe his ceiling of our expectations is growing.

Gomez can beat you numerous ways on his feet.  Do we get him next year also?  Stay healthy because he is fun to watch.

Model won't quit.  Love that about him.

Hamiti is just wow.  I watched him in high school and knew his talent, but wasn't sure he would have the needed strength his freshmen year.   He can beat you numerous ways not only on his feet, but on the mat.  Looking forward to upcoming match-ups.

For McNally and Weiler just want to see the motor.  I am glad they are here. 

I love the variety of attacks we see from Amos against the wrestlers he is obviously better than.  Can't wait to see that against the other studs of the weight class.  Will be interesting to see if he does stay at 97 or moves up in the future. 

Hilger is more fun to watch than last year when injured.  Obviously he is in a stacked weight, but a loss yesterday only helps him in my opinion next time they meet.

mkm13

Wrestlestat showed the Barnett and Zargo matches being close to toss up.  Both winnable, but they were not much of an upset losing.

Too bad Hillger lost.  Heavyweight is stacked, so he needs to beat guys like that to AA.  He has in the past in the tournament, and will need to do that again.

Good to see Hamiti and Gomez wrestle so sell. They both have the chance to be high AAs if things go well. 

BuckyMatt

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 08, 2022, 11:53:29 AM
Overall I am pumped.  Up and down our line-up we are fun to watch and way more aggressive than we used to be.  I am starting to love the mentality on the mat, which has not always been the case.  This to me is both coaching and recruiting. 

At this point of the season Barnett is better than last year I believe.  Great to see him hit the firemans.  He made 1 big mistake and in the big ten that can more times than not cost you the match. 

I see growth in Burwick and like watching him scrap.

Zargo is a treat to watch.  He has the motor and I already believe his ceiling of our expectations is growing.

Gomez can beat you numerous ways on his feet.  Do we get him next year also?  Stay healthy because he is fun to watch.

Model won't quit.  Love that about him.

Hamiti is just wow.  I watched him in high school and knew his talent, but wasn't sure he would have the needed strength his freshmen year.   He can beat you numerous ways not only on his feet, but on the mat.  Looking forward to upcoming match-ups.

For McNally and Weiler just want to see the motor.  I am glad they are here. 

I love the variety of attacks we see from Amos against the wrestlers he is obviously better than.  Can't wait to see that against the other studs of the weight class.  Will be interesting to see if he does stay at 97 or moves up in the future. 

Hilger is more fun to watch than last year when injured.  Obviously he is in a stacked weight, but a loss yesterday only helps him in my opinion next time they meet.

Gomez has 2 more years of edibility after this year!  He's only technically a Sophomore!

onwisconsin

That is awesome news regarding Gomez.  Stay healthy young man.  You are electric to watch.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 09, 2022, 07:16:04 AM
That is awesome news regarding Gomez.  Stay healthy young man.  You are electric to watch.

We are a young team!  Not sure how the extra Covid years will affect Barnett and Burwick's eligibility but for sure, we have Zargo for 3 more years after this, Gomez for 2 more years, Hamiti for 3 more years (plus a redshirt if he wanted), and Amos for 3 more years.  Future is bright with tons of talent for sure!

vsmf2010

DeAugustino beat Mckee on Sunday. Pretty good first 2 matches of the year beating 2 returning all americans and 2 of the better 125 pounders in the conference.

MNbadger

McKee was handling him easily and got lazy.  That is McKee's MO though.....so frustrating.
Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 10, 2022, 09:33:40 AM
DeAugustino beat Mckee on Sunday. Pretty good first 2 matches of the year beating 2 returning all americans and 2 of the better 125 pounders in the conference.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

vsmf2010

Quote from: MNbadger on January 10, 2022, 11:38:37 AM
McKee was handling him easily and got lazy.  That is McKee's MO though.....so frustrating.
Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 10, 2022, 09:33:40 AM

Wow! Sounds a lot like the Barnett match. EB was really in control of DeAugustino until he make a mistake. Props to DeAugustino. Probably should have been 0-2 on the weekend and somehow managed to beat 2 returning AA's.

TomM

Select Matches: Northwestern vs. Minnesota | Big Ten Wrestling | Jan. 9, 2022 - YouTube
https://youtu.be/OFZMXbW4Fcg

Select Matches: Northwestern at Wisconsin | Big Ten Wrestling | Jan. 6, 2022 - YouTube
https://youtu.be/mtX4bVKonaw
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"