Northwestern at Wisconsin January 7

Started by Harris, January 01, 2022, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onwisconsin

Frustrating start.

Barnett and Zargo lost definitely winnable matches

onwisconsin

That's more like it.  Nice win Gomez.    We are more fun to watch that I can remember in a long time.

walden_hiker

These losses are frustrating

imwi

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 07, 2022, 07:33:35 PM
Frustrating start.

Barnett and Zargo lost definitely winnable matches

#fact

PAUL

Big win, need to bring this one home.  The Big Ten is so darn tough..... 

walden_hiker

onwisconsin

Coulda would shoulda won all but one match.  Again, we are fun to watch. Good win in the Big Ten.
We still have lots of room for improvement.  We are headed in the right direction. 

That is how Barnett wrestles.  High risk and sometimes that happens.  I don't love it, but that is who he is.

head57

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 07, 2022, 07:44:14 PM
That's more like it.  Nice win Gomez.    We are more fun to watch that I can remember in a long time.

This is absolutely true. I remember the Iowa dual a couple years back when we got like 5 takedowns all night. We're much more active now.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

walden_hiker

Now I see why Wick transferred.  Would not have cracked starting lineup at 165.

vsmf2010

Definitely not ideal that the 2 highest ranks guys both were upset. Cannot think of that ever happening in a Big Ten dual before for the UW and still winning the dual

Crowd was really light today and quite a bit stunned through the first 3 matches. One of the lightest crowds I can remember is a while. We had such a good crowd for Buffalo so I was expecting a little more. Was quite cold and lots of HS wrestling on Fridays so I assume that was part of it. Hoping for a better crowd on Sunday

Barnett seemed in control when he made a big mistake that cost him so that sucked. He can definitely beat that guy so that is certainly something to build on

Burwick wrestled pretty well against a tough guy and plenty to build on there

Zargo let a guy off the hook who was completely gassed. Like to have that one back. Needed more pressure and another take down in the 3rd to ice the match

Gomez wrestled great and is a threat to beat anyone at the weight except for probably Yianni

Model wrestled pretty well against Deakin. Kept it to a decision so definitely did his job for the team there

Hamiti did what he could against a guy who really was not interested in wrestling him

McNally is not firing on all cylinders yet but nice job pulling out the win

Weiler got a major and shut out his opponent. Would have been nice to get more but the guy was really defensive on bottom so hard to get to his cradle or any other turns going

Amos blew out a guy who was really not good at all. Did what he had to do

Hillger failed on the first few attempts to get out which is really unusual for him and then things kind of just spiraled from there. He had the only takedown which is generally enough at HWT. Tough loss but not a devastating one. He looks good and will keep getting better

wrestlemania

It was close  win to be sure with lots of close match wins but given the  fact this program has struggled to win such close matches in the B1G and NCAA s in the past, being able to win close ones tonight in a B1G and showing how and setting and example will hopefully pay off for the whole team down the road.

BuckyMatt

Coulda Woulda Shoulda won 125/ 141 and Hwt but didn't 😢. Let's hope they channel that for Sunday
Both Burwick and Model did good jobs of keeping it close
Gomez looked great and is a high AA Candidate! Love his swagger!
Hamiti is Special!!
Props to McNally for a late takedown to win it.
Amos absolutely destroyed his inferior opponent.
Let's hope we win the swing matches Sunday!! We need it!!

dad 2 5

Quote from: tigerking on January 03, 2022, 11:19:19 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on January 01, 2022, 03:05:37 PM
149 will be worth the price of admission! I expect fireworks!

Hamiti is becoming worth the price of admission with his ability to put on a show and I expect Amos to dominate as well!

Barnett should be fired up to return and want to put on a show and Burwick has a Huge opportunity!
Interesting to see 141, his brother is a UW recruit and Zargo should have a ton of confidence after this tournament! 174 and 184 should be good matches and I Think Thor is going to dominate at home!

Should be a great first Big Ten match and fun Friday night!

Hope to see everyone at the SconnieBar beforehand for the tailgate!  I heard former Badger great Steve Alf is buying beers for everyone before 😉

Lucas Davison can move very well and can score points in bunches at times. He is going to give Hilger a good match.

Good insight TigerKing

dad 2 5

the thing that stinks with the losses is the effect it could have on seeding. Hoping they just one-offs. Team wise it is a good win as Northwestern was just ahead or just behind the Badgers in most the ranking I saw. On to Rutgers!