Nick Suriano

Started by mdbriggs, March 06, 2017, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

I thought Henning got screwed too and asked him about it after the match.
He basically said something like it does not matter as there is nothing he can do about it (he used even fewer words when he answered my question though)

hammen

Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: Barou on March 07, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 12:33:44 PM

Craig Henning? Runner up is hard to call disappointing.  ???

I thought he got hosed in the finals against the kid from Iowa state.   I don't remember the specifics, but I remember thinking he should have won.    But I am a WI fan so I guess that should be taken into consideration.

Ref called a potentially dangerous when Henning was slipping out to get a 2 reversal against Paulson.  Kind of a back door thing if I remember correctly and Paulson was "stacked" and squeezing for the potentially dangerous or stalemate.  Stalemate wasn't going to happen as Henning was slowly but continuously improving position.  IMO, Henning was aware the PD could get called and took extra measures to not lift Paulson or move quickly to trigger the PD.  Memory is fading but I think I'm close on this one.  And yes he got hosed.

Yeah, big time bummer!!!!!   Especially with what happened the following year....unfortunately, the next year may never come.
[/quote]

I thought he got hosed in the finals against the kid from Iowa state.   I don't remember the specifics, but I remember thinking he should have won.    But I am a WI fan so I guess that should be taken into consideration.

Ref called a potentially dangerous when Henning was slipping out to get a 2 reversal against Paulson.  Kind of a back door thing if I remember correctly and Paulson was "stacked" and squeezing for the potentially dangerous or stalemate.  Stalemate wasn't going to happen as Henning was slowly but continuously improving position.  IMO, Henning was aware the PD could get called and took extra measures to not lift Paulson or move quickly to trigger the PD.  Memory is fading but I think I'm close on this one.  And yes he got hosed.
[/quote]

Paulson was up by 1 I believe, they were neutral, Paulson took a leg attack and Craig cut the corner, passed the leg and split his head/body between Paulson's legs like Craig always did. Paulson was on his back with Craig in position for the points and covering the hips - Paulson arched/bridged on his head really hard, as if Craig was applying pressure forward when Craig was just still on his own butt and not applying any pressure. Ref called PD and they restarted with short time left. That was the match. One of the most terrible PD calls and coward (albeit strategic) moves I ever saw from a wrestler at that level.

Barou

Quote from: hammen on March 07, 2017, 08:50:20 PM
Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 01:58:53 PM

Yeah, big time bummer!!!!!   Especially with what happened the following year....unfortunately, the next year may never come.

[/quote]

Paulson was up by 1 I believe, they were neutral, Paulson took a leg attack and Craig cut the corner, passed the leg and split his head/body between Paulson's legs like Craig always did. Paulson was on his back with Craig in position for the points and covering the hips - Paulson arched/bridged on his head really hard, as if Craig was applying pressure forward when Craig was just still on his own butt and not applying any pressure. Ref called PD and they restarted with short time left. That was the match. One of the most terrible PD calls and coward (albeit strategic) moves I ever saw from a wrestler at that level.
[/quote]

Hammen I concede to your recollection being more accurate.  I may have to try and find that match to watch again.  I forgot about the Paulson "strategy" but you're right I remember thinking it was bush league.
JHI Mafia

Armdrag

https://youtu.be/dGTTwpKkbDU

link to the Paulson vs Henning match on youtube

npope

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Barou

Quote from: npope on March 08, 2017, 08:21:28 AM
Quote from: Armdrag on March 08, 2017, 07:56:09 AM
https://youtu.be/dGTTwpKkbDU

link to the Paulson vs Henning match on youtube

see it at the 5:45 mark

It was painful watching that again.
JHI Mafia

DocWrestling

By rules today, did he already have the 2 pt takedown?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

hammen

Still vivid in my memory - but I can't get myself to click the link to watch it again. So painful.

leg turk

Lol... You guys crack me up.  He lost!  Get over it!  I suppose it was the refs fault he got reversed in the next period also?

Micah

Rumor has it Suriano is a 3 seed and faces Kyle Akins

Manty77

Penn State announced Suriano is out of the National tourney.

DocWrestling

That severely hurts there chances at a national team title
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

crossface21

I'm wondering what the NCAA is going to do about this. Brian Murphy of Michigan was a scratch earlier this week and they just bumped up the seeds. With it only being a day before, are they going to do bump everyone again or just put it as a FF?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

It looks like they cannot add another wrestler according to the rules.

The rule book is unclear to me whether they will re-seed or re-draw.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMWR_PreChamps_Manual_20161006.pdf (Page 12)
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ghetto

Penn State lost both Suriano and Cortez this season. Opens the door for Oklahoma State for sure.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove