Nick Suriano

Started by mdbriggs, March 06, 2017, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdbriggs

I know this is a Badger forum but can someone explain why Nick Suriano appeared on the mat for 1 second?? He certainly would get an NCAA bid regardless....correct.  Just cannot figure this one out.

Thanks for any help

Ty Clark

Quote from: mdbriggs on March 06, 2017, 11:57:14 AM
I know this is a Badger forum but can someone explain why Nick Suriano appeared on the mat for 1 second?? He certainly would get an NCAA bid regardless....correct.  Just cannot figure this one out.

Thanks for any help

One must compete in the conference championship to get an at-large bid.

Cael Sanderson should've made it clear that was his intention and relinquished the #2 seed (a la J Robinson/Dustin Schlatter).
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

DocWrestling

Would Oliver of Indiana qualified for nationals without that lucky break?  Jimenez would have been better off as the #7 seed.

Those are the lucky breaks that happen some times and I hope the at large committee considers.

Sanderson absolutely should have tried to keep the integrity of the bracket and requested no seed for Suriano
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Barou

Quote from: Ty Clark on March 06, 2017, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: mdbriggs on March 06, 2017, 11:57:14 AM
I know this is a Badger forum but can someone explain why Nick Suriano appeared on the mat for 1 second?? He certainly would get an NCAA bid regardless....correct.  Just cannot figure this one out.

Thanks for any help

One must compete in the conference championship to get an at-large bid.

Cael Sanderson should've made it clear that was his intention and relinquished the #2 seed (a la J Robinson/Dustin Schlatter).

100% agree.  I'm thinking it was thought out as strategy benefiting PSU somehow.  Possibly keeping Lizak on the top half with Gilman?
JHI Mafia

Micah

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2017, 12:07:52 PM
Would Oliver of Indiana qualified for nationals without that lucky break?  Jimenez would have been better off as the #7 seed.

Those are the lucky breaks that happen some times and I hope the at large committee considers.

Sanderson absolutely should have tried to keep the integrity of the bracket and requested no seed for Suriano

Yes, Oliver is tough and probably would have finished where he did without the break.

wrestler133

If that is all you have to do to get an at-large bid(stand on the mat for 1 second), can someone explain to me why the WI wrestler from a few years ago(Henning I believe) who placed second the year prior did not receive an at-large bid?   I think he was ranked in the top 5 for sure in his weight class, but I think he lost first two matches or something crazy and did not receive a bid?   I thought that I was told it was because you have to win at least one match at the big tens to get an at-large bid?     Have they changed the rules since then?

Micah

Yes, rules are different now.

Barou

Quote from: wrestler133 on March 06, 2017, 05:14:16 PM
If that is all you have to do to get an at-large bid(stand on the mat for 1 second), can someone explain to me why the WI wrestler from a few years ago(Henning I believe) who placed second the year prior did not receive an at-large bid?   I think he was ranked in the top 5 for sure in his weight class, but I think he lost first two matches or something crazy and did not receive a bid?   I thought that I was told it was because you have to win at least one match at the big tens to get an at-large bid?     Have they changed the rules since then?

It went into effect the year after henning. The henning situation is probably why this system is in place.
JHI Mafia

ThunderRolls

Hemming- another perfect example of a Barry Davis failure.  :'(

npope

Quote from: ThunderRolls on March 06, 2017, 09:35:10 PM

Are you referring to when he took second in the nation - or when he didn't place? Exactly what does BD get credit for and what does he get the blame for?

I don't have a dog in this fight but c'mon - at least keep it focused.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

Quote from: ThunderRolls on March 06, 2017, 09:35:10 PM

Craig Henning? Runner up is hard to call disappointing.  ???
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestler133

[/quote]

I thought he got hosed in the finals against the kid from Iowa state.   I don't remember the specifics, but I remember thinking he should have won.    But I am a WI fan so I guess that should be taken into consideration.

bigG

Oh, I was disappointed with the outcome; but not in Henning. The kid wrestled like an animal.

I was hoping herbst would place higher. Ah well, still not disappointed in him.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 12:33:44 PM

I thought he got hosed in the finals against the kid from Iowa state.   I don't remember the specifics, but I remember thinking he should have won.    But I am a WI fan so I guess that should be taken into consideration.
[/quote]

Ref called a potentially dangerous when Henning was slipping out to get a 2 reversal against Paulson.  Kind of a back door thing if I remember correctly and Paulson was "stacked" and squeezing for the potentially dangerous or stalemate.  Stalemate wasn't going to happen as Henning was slowly but continuously improving position.  IMO, Henning was aware the PD could get called and took extra measures to not lift Paulson or move quickly to trigger the PD.  Memory is fading but I think I'm close on this one.  And yes he got hosed.
JHI Mafia

wrestler133

Quote from: Barou on March 07, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 12:33:44 PM

Ref called a potentially dangerous when Henning was slipping out to get a 2 reversal against Paulson.  Kind of a back door thing if I remember correctly and Paulson was "stacked" and squeezing for the potentially dangerous or stalemate.  Stalemate wasn't going to happen as Henning was slowly but continuously improving position.  IMO, Henning was aware the PD could get called and took extra measures to not lift Paulson or move quickly to trigger the PD.  Memory is fading but I think I'm close on this one.  And yes he got hosed.
[/quote]

Yeah, big time bummer!!!!!   Especially with what happened the following year....unfortunately, the next year may never come.