Iowa on Friday!

Started by knight/purgolder, January 31, 2017, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Quote from: leg turk on February 04, 2017, 03:20:43 PM
Will we ever close the gap on Iowa?

I think we need an attitude and leadership that guys like Howe and Jordan have never gave.  Beating a non-ranked wrestler in OT after not able to get one takedown in regulation is just not inspiring.  Medbery is doing his job but I think he is alone and it is always different with heavyweights.  Crone seems to have the kind of attitude that we need more of.

Have some fun, take some chances, and push yourself.  Way to conservative for me.  More to learn from when you challenge yourself to do more than win in a low scoring conservative match.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Huckfinn

Quote from: leg turk on February 04, 2017, 03:20:43 PM
Will we ever close the gap on Iowa?

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/news/2016/1/12/Match_Notes_No_2_Iowa_at_Wisconsin.aspx

QuoteIowa leads the all-time series, 76-8-3, including a 37-4-2 all-time record in Madison. The Hawkeyes have won the last five meetings and 36 of the last 37 dating back to 1975. Wisconsin's only win during that time was a 21-14 decision inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Jan. 27, 2007. The Hawkeyes haven't dropped a dual in Madison since 1945 (L, 18-16). The series dates back to 1923, an 8-6 Iowa win.

I can't imagine any way that Iowa's tradition can be broken.    I don't see the Badgers having any chance to match Penn St. or Ohio State's recruiting advantage.  If any team is going to rise to the upper tier, I bet it will be Rutgers, as New Jersey wrestlers may decide to stay home and compete in the Big Ten. 

It will be a struggle to remain competitive with Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers.  When the stars align, WI can have a year like Nebraska is having.   

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 04, 2017, 03:28:52 PMHave some fun, take some chances, and push yourself.  Way to conservative for me.  More to learn from when you challenge yourself to do more than win in a low scoring conservative match.

Agreed

billymurphy

Like it or not, this is the year that we have been waiting a long time for. 
Two studs with the rest of the starters on the team being multi year
Badger wrestlers.  Next year is back to a rebuilding year.

Numbers

Quote from: billymurphy on February 04, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
Like it or not, this is the year that we have been waiting a long time for. 
Two studs with the rest of the starters on the team being multi year
Badger wrestlers.  Next year is back to a rebuilding year.

Dream lineup/results 2016-17
126-JJ R16/R12
133-Ryan Taylor top 4 AA
141-Martin/JT R12
149-Crone/Wick R12
157-Wick AA
165-Jordan Finalist AA
174-RC R16
184-Ritter R16
197-RR R12/AA
Hwt-CM Finalist AA

Chance for 3rd or 4th as a team.  This was "The" year for the Badgers team, but still should have some great individual finishes at NCAAs.

Iowa and Michigan thought this was "The" year too, but injuries sometimes get in the way.

Huckfinn

Quote from: Numbers on February 05, 2017, 06:31:50 AM
Iowa and Michigan thought this was "The" year too, but injuries sometimes get in the way.

Without taking time to research it closely, I would say that Ohio St, Penn St, Iowa and Wisconsin all had a typical and similar year of injury impact. Michigan got dinged a little extra.

If you project every wrestler to be healthy, and every starter to wrestle to some imagined ceiling, there are about 25 teams who can be said to have 4th place NCAA potential.  Teams as good as Lehigh can dream of being national champs. I think your Dream Team projection is about right, but it leads to fuzzy thinking. 

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 05, 2017, 10:19:39 AMMichigan didn't think this was there year! They think next year is there year when they get coon,panteleo, and abounader back!

I had to look it up, but all three of those guys were injured.  Plus you can add Sutton to the list of fallen AA candidates.
https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/17039

So, I think that Numbers was correct in saying their expectations were derailed by injury.

Iowa is slightly different.   They just have a weaker team this year and couldn't afford any injuries.    The moaning is loud, but Stolls was just a fringe AA guy, IMO.

The Michigan freshmen look really good.  MI might compete next year for that coveted #2 trophy behind the shoe-ins.

billymurphy

Penn State is on another level. I think everybody else is fighting for second place.

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 05, 2017, 02:00:44 PMCoon was hurt before the season started, so although there injuries slowed them down this year, they didn't think they were in the running.  And it also made it easier to sit the others and let them get healthy, so they have a contender next year!

You're a tough cookie to pin!   You're in a cradle with a leg hooked, and still that 2nd shoulder is 1/2" above the mat.

Coon wrestled freestyle in off-season.   He got injured in practice in September.  The other three guys haven't done any open tourney recently - (I assume they have normal, not medical redshirts.)  So I guess they are injured still.

Buzzzzzz!   There's the end of the period and you survive.   But I'm stickin to notion that Michigan was loaded for this year.  Your take is credible, more research could prove me wrong.