Tough kid, tough loss.

Started by coconut joe, October 04, 2016, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I guess one would think he'd emphasize being the 20th best school on the planet. That being said, can a scholarship athlete really take advantage of all that entails? Ok St is levels above WI in wrestling; but they don't touch us in academics. Still, I doubt AD has any doubts about making the best choice. Best choice for him. If he's happy, I'm happy.

I don't think we're going to ask that our academic expectations be lowered to pandy to athletics, though. We'll probably never have Bama football, IA wrestling, Duke hoops. We are pretty competitive in all, though; and with some pretty high academic expectations. We attract some great athletes, but we attract even greater minds; and from a world pool.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

He is a good wrestler, but it's not a loss. The Badgers never came out and said they put all their chips in on him. Plus in our lower weights we have a lot of young talent with Stickley, Martin, Lantz, Jimenez, etc. Would be tough for him to find a spot. Best of luck to VM hopefully he turns into another Wisco great at NDSU!

Barou

Quote from: npope on October 04, 2016, 05:16:19 PM
Did we ever really "lose" AD? I mean, who ever said that he was going to the UW to begin with? Given the kid's accomplishments, he could have written his ticket anywhere.

The word was that BD made a recruiting visit.  It was reported that John Smith went to AD's house 3 times and BD one time.  So assuming it was a recruiting visit then ya, I guess it would be a loss.
JHI Mafia

Jimmy

How do you lose something you never had?

Barou

Quote from: Jimmy on October 06, 2016, 01:51:08 PM

Thought it was implied but I guess to clarify, he lost the recruiting battle. And then apparently commented on his academic status publicly. 
JHI Mafia

npope

Quote from: Barou on October 06, 2016, 03:53:29 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on October 06, 2016, 01:51:08 PM

Thought it was implied but I guess to clarify, he lost the recruiting battle. And then apparently commented on his academic status publicly. 

AD had not yet committed; BD shows up once to meet the family; JS shows up three times to do the same. AD chooses OSU. Doesn't really sound like there was much of a battle and the UW never had AD in tow. Nothing was lost.

In hind sight one can see clearly how good AD did (although nothing has ever been definitively clarified as to whether AD could have gotten into the UW - despite what BD or AD's mother said publicly). Also, what often goes unsaid here is that the UW was able to pick off the guy who actually beat AD in HS (Theilke). It would be nice to get all of the blue chippers out there, but sometimes... And yes, JT's career does not rival that of AD, but hind sight affords all those watching with that luxury.

So, AD had a fantastic career - congratulations. Can't we just leave it at that?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

woody53

Quote from: shakerag on October 06, 2016, 05:17:17 PM
I heard that BD never made the trip but sent his assistants instead.
I heard Bigfoot was spotted in Poynette.
Come on, lets get more positive about UW Wrestling instead of dragging up old dirt. Or else we could end up like Minnesota now. That is is a joke for all you that want to rip people apart.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Barou

Quote from: woody53 on October 06, 2016, 05:55:40 PM
Come on, lets get more positive about UW Wrestling instead of dragging up old dirt. Or else we could end up like Minnesota now. That is is a joke for all you that want to rip people apart.

Are you serious? UW wrestling doesn't even compare to Minnesota wrestling. Lot of great coaches and student athletes over there to call "a joke".
JHI Mafia

jw52

Great coaches don't cover up when their athletes commit felonies.

Barou

Quote from: jw52 on October 06, 2016, 08:11:06 PM

Which coaches did that?
JHI Mafia

woody53

Quote from: Barou on October 06, 2016, 07:18:42 PM

Are you serious? UW wrestling doesn't even compare to Minnesota wrestling. Lot of great coaches and student athletes over there to call "a joke".
No I am not serious. Did you miss the part where I said it is a joke?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Barou

Quote from: woody53 on October 07, 2016, 06:21:32 AM
Quote from: Barou on October 06, 2016, 07:18:42 PM

No I am not serious. Did you miss the part where I said it is a joke?

I stand corrected.
JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: jw52 on October 06, 2016, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: Barou on October 06, 2016, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: jw52 on October 06, 2016, 08:11:06 PM

Which coaches did that?

http://www.startribune.com/j-robinson-fired-by-university-of-minnesota-after-30-years-as-wrestling-coach/392637101/

Where's the plural coming coming from?  Reads like only one coach to me.  A coach that could be argued fell on the sword and cost himself his job out of loyalty to his athletes. 
JHI Mafia

wrestle03

Coconut Joe, are you serious?

Nothing personal against this kid at all and good luck to him at NDSU. 
Coco, do you know how many kids are a 1 time state champ?  LOTS.  Heck, there are 3 and 4 time state champs that haven't done nothing at the Division 1 level.  Good luck to him, but I think it would have been quite difficult for this kid to come close to cracking the lineup.  Let him go where he chose to go, why is it a "loss" because someone chooses to go to school somewhere else?  Its a win for student athlete and they don't care what any of us keyboard warriors think.