UW Update

Started by TBrandvold, January 06, 2014, 01:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Harris on January 09, 2014, 02:07:20 PM
Quote from: Gutwrench on January 09, 2014, 12:57:16 PM
If all goes well in the next 2-3 years, then yes I would like to see UW established in that next tier of Big Ten teams.  I'm talking the tier of Illinois, Northwestern, Nebraska,etc.  By all goes well I mean recruiting continues to bring in at least 2ish blue chip wrestlers each year, and current wrestlers continue to progress year to year. 

Breaking through to the top level (PSU, Minny, OSU, Iowa) might take........luck.  I don't doubt the current group of coaches can effectively coach.  They've had enough AA's over the years to signify of their coaching ability.  What I'm thinking they might need now is a little good old fashion luck.  Lucky in the sense of a Connor Medbery.  A recruit that comes in under the radar that turns into an AA candidate within a year or two.  UW might need to get a little lucky a year or two of recruiting to uncover a few hidden gems, to go along with the highly touted recruits, to push the team to the next level.

+1
I tell my athletes that luck is when preparation meets opportunity.  I feel the coaching staff is positioning and preparing themselves for that opportunity!  I really like what Trevor has to say and I really like his coaching style.  I was talking with a current Badger wrestler over break and they had nothing but praise for him.  Way to go Trevor!  You are no different than the example above with Medbery.  You came in under the radar and have proven to be an AA coach and recruiter in my eyes.

Stay the course.
"This page intentionally left blank".

npope

Quote from: Handles II on January 09, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
It is different how looking at other state sights and national forums we hear about their head coach as the key factor. Brands, Smith, Sanderson, JRob, and even Kish at NDSU.  
For years I've been reading about our assistants as the key to building our program (as well as the reason for a downward spiral if they leave). Steiners, Donny, Jared, and now Trevor and Kyle.
I just find it odd that our ebb/flow of success is, at least in the minds of many posters, so relient on actions of the assistant coaches in WI vs. other states.

I know what you are talking about - there is a vocal corner on the forum that seems to promote an "assistant coach-cult" kind of mentality, i.e., the assistant coach is responsible for all things good while Davis is responsible for all things bad. Seem pretty myopic to me. We saw it with Pritiz and they seem to be heading down that same path again with Trevor.

While I think the "buck always stops" at the desk of the head coach, the effort really is a staff effort. The head coach isn't charged with being all things to all people but rather, he is charged with assembling a "winning" coaching staff. If Davis is a lousy recruiter as some suggest, then he is doing exactly what he should be doing by compensating for that weakness by hiring a good recruiter such as Trevor. Davis should get a pat on the back for that - not derision. Heck, I have no idea as to what kind of technician J. Rob is, but I know he is an excellent marketing guy; maybe he brings in excellent technicians to compensate for his own weaknesses. I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that people typically give J. Rob full credit for the successful program he runs - they aren't teasing out the credit or blame.

The bottom line is that the head coach is responsible for what happens on his watch - both the good and the bad. Those who try to allocate blame and credit according to their own whims really aren't being fair and it hurts their credibility.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BuckyMatt

Quote from: npope on January 09, 2014, 04:26:00 PM
It is different how looking at other state sights and national forums we hear about their head coach as the key factor. Brands, Smith, Sanderson, JRob, and even Kish at NDSU.  
For years I've been reading about our assistants as the key to building our program (as well as the reason for a downward spiral if they leave). Steiners, Donny, Jared, and now Trevor and Kyle.
I just find it odd that our ebb/flow of success is, at least in the minds of many posters, so relient on actions of the assistant coaches in WI vs. other states.

I know what you are talking about - there is a vocal corner that seems to go in for this assistant coach-cult; the assistant coach is the reason things go well and the head coach is the reason things go wrong. Seems pretty myopic to me. Saw it with Pritiz and some, it would seem, are heading down that same path with Trevor. While I think the "buck always stops" at the desk of the head coach, the effort really is a staff effort. The head coach isn't charged with being all things to all people but rather, he is charged with assembling a "winning" coaching staff. If Davis is a lousy recruiter (as some suggest) then he is doing exactly what he should be doing in compensating for that weakness by hiring a guy like Trevor (evidently a good recruiter, some suggest). Davis should get a pat on the back for that - not derision. Heck, I have no idea as to what kind of technician J. Rob is, but I know he is an excellent marketing guy; maybe he brings in excellent technicians to compensate for his own weaknesses. I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that he collects virtually all of the credit for the successful program.

The bottom line is that the head coach is responsible for what happens on his watch - both the good and the bad. Those who try to allocate blame and credit according to their own whims really aren't being fair.

Very we'll said Nat!

imnofish

Quote from: npope on January 09, 2014, 04:26:00 PM

I know what you are talking about - there is a vocal corner that seems to go in for this assistant coach-cult; the assistant coach is the reason things go well and the head coach is the reason things go wrong. Seems pretty myopic to me. Saw it with Pritiz and some, it would seem, are heading down that same path with Trevor. While I think the "buck always stops" at the desk of the head coach, the effort really is a staff effort. The head coach isn't charged with being all things to all people but rather, he is charged with assembling a "winning" coaching staff. If Davis is a lousy recruiter (as some suggest) then he is doing exactly what he should be doing in compensating for that weakness by hiring a guy like Trevor (evidently a good recruiter, some suggest). Davis should get a pat on the back for that - not derision. Heck, I have no idea as to what kind of technician J. Rob is, but I know he is an excellent marketing guy; maybe he brings in excellent technicians to compensate for his own weaknesses. I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that he collects virtually all of the credit for the successful program.

The bottom line is that the head coach is responsible for what happens on his watch - both the good and the bad. Those who try to allocate blame and credit according to their own whims really aren't being fair.

+1  8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

BOURNE

billymurphy

Nice post npope, as always. The head coach gets the credit when there is success and blame when there is failure, except at Wisconsin?

As pointed out earlier, with the scholarship situation the way it is, it is imperative to be able to identify and recruit the top blue chip Wisconsin wrestlers to fill out the roster.
That has always been a severe problem in the past with such poor depth year after year for Wisconsin. 
That is no longer the case now however.
Coach Brandvold has already proven he can identify and recruit the top Wisconsin wrestlers better than any prior Barry coached teams.
The fact that Coach Brandvold is recruiting Illinois talent gives Wisconsin a chance for top five finishes in the Big Ten Conference. (Too bad the UW does not have reciprocity with Illinois.)
I think it is O.K. to recognize the extra effort Coach Brandvold evidently is putting in.

For those that are asking why Wisconsin is not first in the Big Ten, 
think of the huge advantage Cael Sanderson has at Penn State. He has Pennsylvania and Ohio and New Jersey right on his doorstep to recruit from. Plus, he is
a recent Olympic champion so all the current recruits know exactly who he is and the success that comes with his team and that success makes it even easier to
recruit the blue chips.  If Graff gets hot and wins the Big Ten and the team wrestles great and finishes top five then Wisconsin may start pulling in more elite recruits.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Gutwrench on January 09, 2014, 12:57:16 PM
If all goes well in the next 2-3 years, then yes I would like to see UW established in that next tier of Big Ten teams.  I'm talking the tier of Illinois, Northwestern, Nebraska,etc.  By all goes well I mean recruiting continues to bring in at least 2ish blue chip wrestlers each year, and current wrestlers continue to progress year to year. 

Breaking through to the top level (PSU, Minny, OSU, Iowa) might take........luck.  I don't doubt the current group of coaches can effectively coach.  They've had enough AA's over the years to signify of their coaching ability.  What I'm thinking they might need now is a little good old fashion luck.  Lucky in the sense of a Connor Medbery.  A recruit that comes in under the radar that turns into an AA candidate within a year or two.  UW might need to get a little lucky a year or two of recruiting to uncover a few hidden gems, to go along with the highly touted recruits, to push the team to the next level.

I understand what you are saying, but we did beat Illinois and OSU now !!   Go Badgers !!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf