13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

wrestler_73

Numbers

Quote from: wrestler_73 on March 09, 2022, 10:29:27 AM
Thoughts on Amos?

With Trent back, I assume it is another year at 197 or a redshirt.

LeftyHeadlock27

I really don't think Amos looks that big

mkm13

I agree Amos has not looked big relative to many others at 197.

tigerking

After seeing Braxton at 197 this year, I believe HWT is in his future. He looks like he has no energy at 197 compared to the way he was attacking this summer in freestyle.

MNbadger

Just watched his match vs Rutgers again.  He did not look particularly large compared to Bulsak.  His legs were a bit bigger.
Quote from: mkm13 on March 09, 2022, 11:03:36 AM
I agree Amos has not looked big relative to many others at 197.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Redeemer

I have no thought on it, because I do not know him, I do not watch him weigh in, ask him what he eats, etc.

wrestler_73

Go on the Bugenhagen diet and lifting plan.  He will beat Hilger next year at 230.

onwisconsin

He obviously has international goals as well as college goals. 

1. He wrestled at 97kg (214 pounds) for the junior worlds.
2. He wrestled at 220 pounds. in high school.   

It showed great discipline to be able to wrestle at 197 pounds this year.  I am sure it was a challenging cut/maintenance for him and likely affected his performance (explosiveness, endurance, and ability to chain wrestle). Visually he was not as aggressive as we saw him during the international season.

Could he wrestle heavy at 225-235 and still be the same guy internationally.  I actually think that would help him internationally because he wouldn't be trying to rebuild strength after each college season at 197. 

He is caught in a tough spot.   He is definitely a case study why college should have a 220 weight class.   That being said I hope to see him wrestle at Heavyweight weighing 230-235 pounds. Yes he would give up weight to many and may indeed have to redshirt.

I am sure he and the coaches have a plan going forward. I can't wait to see the Braxton I saw in high school and during international season.

Gutwrench

Kyle Snyder did pretty well at 97kg and Hwt in college.  It's possible.

onwisconsin

Quote from: Gutwrench on March 10, 2022, 10:02:12 AM
Kyle Snyder did pretty well at 97kg and Hwt in college.  It's possible.

I 100% agree.

A beast is a beast.  I think Braxton can be that good.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

The season's not over. He has wrestled and lost a lot of tough close matches. Minor adjustments are needed.

Braxton has said he has his weight under control now. He could still make a run at Nationals this year!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

onwisconsin

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 10, 2022, 10:24:43 AM
The season's not over. He has wrestled and lost a lot of tough close matches. Minor adjustments are needed.

Braxton has said he has his weight under control now. He could still make a run at Nationals this year!

I completely agree with this and we all hope he has an outstanding tournament.   

We just haven't seen the same explosiveness, aggression, and chain wrestling we have seen from him during the international circuit.   We are doing nothing more than thinking out loud. 

Gutwrench

Quote from: onwisconsin on March 10, 2022, 10:33:59 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 10, 2022, 10:24:43 AM

I completely agree with this and we all hope he has an outstanding tournament.   

We just haven't seen the same explosiveness, aggression, and chain wrestling we have seen from him during the international circuit.   We are doing nothing more than thinking out loud.

Agreed.  Just thinking out loud having conversation.  I agree on BA looking tentative however.  I will say that it seems nobody wants to tie up with BA either.  They probably don't want their shoes hitting the lights when Brax take them for a toss.  Similar to how people stayed away from tying up with Thielke.

mkm13

It is hard to know how much of it is weight or possible injury and how much of it is simply just the differences in folkstyle, freestyle, and greco.  Some of what he is great at in freestyle and greco just do not translate that well to high end folkstyle (this is common for most, just pointing out there are differences at play).   Having said that, I expected him to have more success on his feet against top guys than he has had.

High end folkstyle is really hard, especially if you are not training for it year round when other top guys are.