littleguys ideas

Started by littleguy301, February 12, 2018, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

now people can flame away at me but just sitting here and wondering what as people in Wisconsin need to do to make wrestling a more interesting, fun, better attended sport.

just some littleguys ideas, which I am sure I will be taking some ideas for other posters and I am saying sorry in advance for that.

once again, just some ideas and not trying to start any fights, just some thoughts as to how we can overall improve Wisconsin instead of the continued bickering over some real petty things.

I have this huge fear that in X amount of years Wisconsin is going to be really behind the 8-ball with wrestling over all. Not what I want to see in Wisconsin.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

1. start the season officially after Thanks giving. allow wrestlers that want to wrestle to go ahead and find tournaments elsewhere but for over all after thanks giving.

2. get rid of the 7 and 7. go strictly to a match count up to the state series.

3. sorry people but get rid of conference meets and regionals

4. still wrestle your conference teams but make them more of multi meets, gets more attendance and more chances for matches for your teams better wrestlers.

5. have a team dual format with in the area. There can be alot of discussion as to what areas, how to seed and so forth but just get areas together and go at it.

6. have a super sectional, like a 2 day event to determine who gets to state.

7. make ALL state individuals and teams wrestle 2 matches at state!!!!!!!!!! if it is truely about the kids then the WIAA has dropped the ball big time on this!!!!! why in the world do teams not wrestle for 3rd in D2 and D3 and in D1 wrestle for 5th. dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life!!!!!!

8. Some how have brackets that are even and none of this 1 and done. This combines number 7 and 6. have to figure out the numbers and get the right kids to state and make it like brackets.

littleguy301

I do like the idea of having 2 divisions and increasing the size of the brackets for state.

either going to 32 man brackets or going to a 24 with the sectional winners getting a bye first round. This can be debated until blue in the face also.

image this as a selling point, going to the WIAA and saying we want 2 divisions but we also want either 48 or 64 kids making state! not sure as to what they would do with that request!

Sure only 2 champs but more kids get a chance for the 2 champs. I think the WIAA mission statement has something about giving chances so here it is!

The Last Ride

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 12, 2018, 01:42:17 PM
1. start the season officially after Thanks giving. allow wrestlers that want to wrestle to go ahead and find tournaments elsewhere but for over all after thanks giving.

2. get rid of the 7 and 7. go strictly to a match count up to the state series.

3. sorry people but get rid of conference meets and regionals

4. still wrestle your conference teams but make them more of multi meets, gets more attendance and more chances for matches for your teams better wrestlers.

5. have a team dual format with in the area. There can be alot of discussion as to what areas, how to seed and so forth but just get areas together and go at it.

6. have a super sectional, like a 2 day event to determine who gets to state.

7. make ALL state individuals and teams wrestle 2 matches at state!!!!!!!!!! if it is truely about the kids then the WIAA has dropped the ball big time on this!!!!! why in the world do teams not wrestle for 3rd in D2 and D3 and in D1 wrestle for 5th. dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life!!!!!!

8. Some how have brackets that are even and none of this 1 and done. This combines number 7 and 6. have to figure out the numbers and get the right kids to state and make it like brackets.

9. Everyone gets a juice box!  :o
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

littleguy301

here is something, for the kids that are really into wrestling. If the season starts after thanksgiving how about having some freestyle and greco events in the month leading up to it. Maybe not events but practices. never know some kids might actually want to do some of it after the season then.

If the season started at its normal time, maybe have a 1 week off over the holidays. let the kids not worry about making weight a day or 2 after a big family meal!

get rid of the silly weight loss rules. set the minimum weight and let it rip.

if anyone tells me their wrestlers loss .2 pounds a day like they are set up to do, are living in a dream world. most kids lose that weight 1-2 days before the weigh in.

if your going to wrestle a certain weight at the end of the year, you need to make that scratch weight during the season X amount of times. sorry guys.

adjust the weight classes to fit the needs. I think we missed the ball on the last weigh adjustments.

littleguy301

Ride,,,,,yes when going to the WIAA, you have to remember to bring that juice box. 8)

The Last Ride

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 12, 2018, 01:54:41 PM
Ride,,,,,yes when going to the WIAA, you have to remember to bring that juice box. 8)

JK littleguy..  ;D

"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

DocWrestling

LittleGuy needs to be the BigGuy in transforming wrestling.  Agree with every point
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ramjet

LG has some great 👍 ideas.

Getyourpoints you contradict your self very often. On one hand you chastise people for mentioning a particular club then YOU come right back and do exactly what you criticize others for. Do you actually read what you write?  You and Aaron should focus on MN until you wear your welcome out there too. Then on to the next great state...... ::)

benaskren

Jamie- Please stay in Minnesota your constant negativity on Wisconsin is exhausting.

Also to your comment- "especially sense a majority of the kids don't put in as much time at the clubs when they get in HS. Ask any stud wrestler in the state how hard it is to find good partners at any club." 

This is completely factually inaccurate and as you have never ever been to 1 practice at AWA in Hartland how could you know who is showing up?  Come any month of the year and any day of the week the best kids are showing up and scrapping.  It is not that hard to find good partners at all.

Lastly we know Pinnacle, Izzy and Young Guns are way ahead of us.  Don't  worry it is only a matter of time, tell them we are coming and we wont stop until we catch them. 
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

benaskren

And Jamie if they laugh when you tell them we are coming please remind them

They laughed when I said I was gonna whip Trevor Spencer

They laughed when I said I was gonna be an NCAA Champion

They laughed when I said I was gonna be an Olympian

They laughed when I said I was going to be great at MMA

You think by now people would get the idea.  We are not stopping until we get to the top, mark my words.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Troy Grindle

Little Guy,

I like a lot of your ideas.

1.  Starting after thanksgiving would be awesome.  Let the kids enjoy the time off, holiday and the food.
2.  14 events is a lot.  I like the idea of 5 tournaments and 9 duals.  Multi duals on a school night would be awesome but I don't think many coaches would give up a tournament for a multi-dual.
3.  Regionals and sectionals needed to be combined into one.  Then take the top 4-8 teams and wrestle them the following weekend to see who goes to team state.
4.  If you want to have a conference tournament keep doing it or take the week off.  No different than any other tournament.
5.  Make it into 3 equal divisions for teams and have the regionals and sectionals combined for a 16 man seeded bracket, you lose your first match you are done and you can't get a wrestle back for second unless you make the semis.  That should solve the 5 match rule.  Plus even amount of teams in each division plus or minus 1 team.  8 sectionals and you qualify 16 kids to state per weight.  More kids qualifying for state but you still have to place top 2 out of roughly 15 teams.
6.  Make girls wrestling a varsity sport.
And then there was that.

bigoil

A colleague from PA young guns could not say enough great things about working with Ben and was very jealous of those in WI who can do it all the time.

littleguy301

Quote from: Tews19 on February 12, 2018, 06:56:25 PM
Littleguy, I am willing to put money on it that in a few years you will see WI wrestling thriving nationally. Not being a homer but Ben and AWA is transforming the landscape of WI wrestling for the better as a whole. Not to mention Jordy at Crass Trained is doing phenomenal things further up north. It may be pertinent to have those two gentleman get with the WIAA and see if any changes can be implemented.

not saying wisconsin will not be on the national level. I was directing my comments mainly toward what is happening on the high school level as concerns to what would make high school wrestling in wisconsin alittle bit better.

while I respect and admire what crass and awa has to offer and what they are doing, they probably will not have the ear of Dave Anderson or Wade Labecki. It is more the coach of any high school team that will have the ears of the WIAA.

littleguy301

Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 12, 2018, 09:27:48 PM
Little Guy,

I like a lot of your ideas.

1.  Starting after thanksgiving would be awesome.  Let the kids enjoy the time off, holiday and the food.
2.  14 events is a lot.  I like the idea of 5 tournaments and 9 duals.  Multi duals on a school night would be awesome but I don't think many coaches would give up a tournament for a multi-dual.
3.  Regionals and sectionals needed to be combined into one.  Then take the top 4-8 teams and wrestle them the following weekend to see who goes to team state.
4.  If you want to have a conference tournament keep doing it or take the week off.  No different than any other tournament.
5.  Make it into 3 equal divisions for teams and have the regionals and sectionals combined for a 16 man seeded bracket, you lose your first match you are done and you can't get a wrestle back for second unless you make the semis.  That should solve the 5 match rule.  Plus even amount of teams in each division plus or minus 1 team.  8 sectionals and you qualify 16 kids to state per weight.  More kids qualifying for state but you still have to place top 2 out of roughly 15 teams.
6.  Make girls wrestling a varsity sport.

I like your ideas also.

number 2,,,,we are on the same page but different paragraphs. I am not looking at giving up tournaments by any means.

example: I will use our conference. instead of driving 2 hours round trip for a thursday night dual, why not make it a tri dual instead and get another conference team there. Start the dual at 5:30 instead and have 2 meets in a night. saves on travel and probably gets more fans in the stands and might counter the "sick" wrestler knowing he will get 2 matches in, instead of 1 rear end kicking.

in order for that to happen we have to get away from the 7 and 7.

in this day and age, saving travel for a 45 minute dual on a cold january night where weather is an issue, maybe have a tri meet and get 2 duals in. then as coaches you have the freedom of maybe a week off here and there to work into your schedule of training for the kids or simply give a friday night off or what ever night you would like.