Opelt qualifies for nationals

Started by Houndhead, February 29, 2016, 07:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

Congrats to Mr. Opelt.

Hound, was there an Opelt on the Neillsville squad back in your day?  Russ , maybe?
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Handles II

Cool, good for Phillip. Certainly saying something having gone through shoulder surgery last year and not being ranked. Central Region is most certainly the toughest overall.

imnofish

Congrats to Mr. Opelt on the accomplishement!  The Opelt family has a long and impressive wrestling history.  Another thread on here is devoted to families whom have competed (and even won) state.  Does anyone know how many Opelts have been WIAA participants, medalists, or champs?  Any father-son combos, or multiple brothers at state simultaneously?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on February 29, 2016, 11:21:58 AM
Congrats to Mr. Opelt on the accomplishement!  The Opelt family has a long and impressive wrestling history.  Another thread on here is devoted to families whom have competed (and even won) state.  Does anyone know how many Opelts have been WIAA participants, medalists, or champs?  Any father-son combos, or multiple brothers at state simultaneously?

The Opelt family is quite large, so I may miss a few here, but I will give it a try. Larry Opelt was a qualifier back in 1978, Russ Opelt was 1st in 1982 ans 2nd in 1983. Carl Opelt was a qualifier in the 90's. Those three are all cousin's from different families. Phillip Opelt placed 4th, 5th, and 2nd. Phillip is Russ's nephew. The Urlaub's are cousin's to the Opelts. Jim Urlaub was 3rd, Qua, and 1st. Joe Urlaub was 2nd, 4th, and 3rd. Jeff Urlaub was a state champ in 1984, and Brian Urlaub was 5th in 1990.

Houndhead

Quote from: whatever on February 29, 2016, 08:57:44 AM
Congrats to Mr. Opelt.

Hound, was there an Opelt on the Neillsville squad back in your day?  Russ , maybe?

Yep, Russ finished 1st @ 98 lbs. in 1982 and 2nd @ 105 lbs. in 1983. He was Neillsville's 1st state champ ever. His cousin Jim Urlaub won a title at 119 lbs. In 1982 also. Phillip is Russ's nephew.

imnofish

Hound, thanks for the info.  I didn't know that they were related to the Urlaubs.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!