Mark Hall Top 6 Schools

Started by WW_1995, November 10, 2014, 04:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraus

Why can't we want Hall AND Breske?  I know I sure do.  I want all the best wrestlers possible to wear the W.
Strive for Perfection

billymurphy

The answer is yes.  For sure we want Hall AND Breske.

Ghetto

Quote from: billymurphy on November 12, 2014, 07:14:57 PM
I am thrilled that the top recruit in the country has UW on his list.
The Badgers have been making great progress.  Everybody
is watching to see where the world champion decides to wrestle in college.

+1
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

leg turk

Quote from: bkraus on November 13, 2014, 08:00:06 AM
Why can't we want Hall AND Breske?  I know I sure do.  I want all the best wrestlers possible to wear the W.

Can't afford both.  9.9

Dale Einerson

Quote from: leg turk on November 13, 2014, 10:51:34 AM
Quote from: bkraus on November 13, 2014, 08:00:06 AM

Can't afford both.  9.9

The UW can afford just as much as any other college on a potential short list...

Truth is, 30 guys in a room probably means 20 guys split 9.9 with a handful getting more scholarship help, unless you are considering Cornell.

dad 2 5

From what I hear both are good students so they should be going after scholarship moneys on academic side. I am not sure, but can they get both or just one or the other? Say a guy get a 20% wrestling scholarship can he go after the rest via academic and other moneys such as a VFW Scholarship? I know there have been guys in the room not on Wrestling scholarship and have academic scholarships but not sure about combine ones.

hammen

Unless you're a valedictorian, salutatorian, or at the top of the enrolling class in academics, those academic scholarships are very difficult to come by.

Ghetto

Beau Breske might be one of those folks getting academic aide for being a top notch student. Heard he was smart as heck.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Harris

The Badgers already have a valedictorian in the room in Eric Peissig.  Great young man!

npope

Quote from: Harris on November 13, 2014, 10:38:49 PM
The Badgers already have a valedictorian in the room in Eric Peissig.  Great young man!

Really! How cool!

I believe Tony Black came through on the academic scholarship program the state sponsors, as well (although I am not 100% certain of that).
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bkraus

The answer as far as I understand, and I am not a valedictorian, yes they can receive both an athletic and academic scholarship.  Or maybe it is grants?  Either way I think they can seek out other financial assistance.
Strive for Perfection

stbird

Also, ROTC scholarships are almost automatic for an athlete with good grades if they want to go that route.  That's a full ride with tuition, books, and I believe some housing allowance. 

Briopiate

Quote from: npope on November 14, 2014, 04:38:35 AM
Quote from: Harris on November 13, 2014, 10:38:49 PM

Really! How cool!

I believe Tony Black came through on the academic scholarship program the state sponsors, as well (although I am not 100% certain of that).
Seems like I've heard or read that Cousins and McCall were valedictorians,or such, too...

foose4

Quote from: Dale Einerson on November 11, 2014, 09:53:03 AM
I believe he made the move to Minnesota to be able to wrestle High School from 7th grade on...but, this is what I got from an article found through googling:

Mark and his father are students of the sport and, when he was preparing to enter seventh grade in Goodrich, Mich., he asked his father if they could move to Union, Ky., so he could wrestle varsity at Ryle High School. Their research revealed that Ryle had some talented athletes (two state champions) whom he could work out against every day in practice and many of their meets were against teams in Ohio — one of the top wrestling states in the country.

An added bonus: Kentucky is one of the few places where seventh and eighth graders can compete for a state championship.

Well, he almost made it. He compiled a 42-3 record at 119 pounds and finished second (6-2 loss) to the defending state champion, who was a senior.

"I was real proud of myself, that I could wrestle all those older guys," he said. "But it kind of left an empty feeling."

Ryle coach Tim Ruschell was thrilled to have Hall, even for just one year.

Didn't Mark Hall win it all as a 7th grader in Minnesota?

2011 Minnesota State Ind Tournament shows Mark Hall (7th grade) from Apple Valley winning the 132 weight bracket in the AAA Division.

He is also listed as winning 2012 at 145 in 8th grade, 2013 at 152 in 9th grade & 2014 at 170 in 10th grade.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar