Dec. 5 -- College Dual and HS Dual Under Same Roof

Started by Coach Lu, December 03, 2013, 11:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Lu

#3 Luther College vs. University of Wisconsin La Crosse

#6 Holmen vs. #7 Menomonie

7:00 pm @ Mitchell Hall on campus of UWL

This should be an exciting event, with some great wrestling!

Grant Peissig

BUMP

We are fired up to be part of this event.  It should be a great night of wrestling at UW-La Crosse

Here are some stats that will hopefully make all of you wrestling fans in the area to come to Mitchell Hall tomorrow night.....
-19/28 projected starters went to sectionals last year

-Looks like a great match up at 138 with 2 returning state qualifiers: Ryan Stalsberg (Holmen, 45-6 LY) vs. Logan Schlough (Menomonie, 41-6 LY)

-At 285 you'll see to heavyweights that have to cut a little to make weight.  Hunter Hauser from Holmen is the highest returning state placewinner from last year and Jared Baldwin from Menomonie was ranked in the top 10 most of last season and finished up with 38 wins.

-Duncan McKinney (Holmen, 6th @ State LY, 38-15) and Josh Waddell (Menomonie, 3rd @ Sectionals LY, 31-10) look like they will meet up at 182 for an exciting match.

Now all we have to hope for is that school doesn't get cancelled tomorrow!  Come on out and make it a big crowd!

Hand Control

GP ,
       I see the HS meet going 7 matches to 7 matches with bonus points deciding the final team score.
       And Luther has some very good ranked wrestlers, should do very well against UWL. I personally can't wait to have a chance to watch Evan Obert wrestle again, the kid is just fun to watch.

benaskren

Great Idea I love the promotion.  Hope it packs the house.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Hand Control

Was I ever wrong on the prediction on the UWL vs Luther!  UWL wrestled well as a team.   I was close on the HS dual.
The Menomonie vs Holmen was a very fun and exciting dual to watch, BOTH teams brought there A game and didn't disappoint.
And I hope this type of dual continues in years to come. THANKS UWL and all four of the coaching staffs for putting on this event.
    P.S. Ben Askren the House was packed!

Dale Einerson

Quote from: Hand Control on December 05, 2013, 10:16:07 PM

Was I ever wrong on the prediction on the UWL vs Luther!  UWL wrestled well as a team.   I was close on the HS dual.
The Menomonie vs Holmen was a very fun and exciting dual to watch, BOTH teams brought there A game and didn't disappoint.
And I hope this type of dual continues in years to come. THANKS UWL and all four of the coaching staffs for putting on this event.
    P.S. Ben Askren the House was packed!

And,the UWL/Luther dual was live streamed...

littleguy301

Sounds like this was well planned out and there was 4 good teams that wrestled to boot.

What were the good matches?
Who was a complete stud?

Need for info ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Hand Control

Quote from: littleguy301 on December 06, 2013, 05:43:01 AM
Sounds like this was well planned out and there was 4 good teams that wrestled to boot.

What were the good matches?
Who was a complete stud?

Need for info ;D
Littleguy301 as Dale E. said UWL/Luther was streamed.
As far as the H.S. dual, there is to many to mention ,from both teams as they both have big hearts for gutting it out and participating. Big stage ya know, but if I were to pick my MVP, that wrestler would not even be male!

Hand Control

Quote from: HMsDad on December 06, 2013, 06:43:30 AM
Details!!!
NO!!
My suggestion would be to go to Trackwrestling and look under results. And it is not stalking, it's research.  Not trying to be rude, I'm just not going to take the bait. As I said before neither team disappointed.

Pheasant 1984

Holmen and Menomonie dual was as exciting as it gets! Came down to the last match with Holmen winning 33-30.
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

littleguy301

cool, just looking for some details because I cannt seem to get any streaming going and I was NOT around last night to catch it live.

Grant Peissig

It was a great event put on by UW-L last night.  Two great duals with big, loud crowd in Mitchell Hall.  I would have like to have come out on top in our match, but we've got to tip our hat to Holmen.  They were in better shape, their kids got bonus points, and didn't give up bonus points in some key matches which proved to be the difference.

I didn't get a chance to see much of the college dual, but here is a summary of Holmen (#6) vs. Menomonie (#7).  Badger State Wrestling was also there so I'm guessing Shane will have the video up soon.

106: Pretty close match most of the way.  Holmen has a pretty good sized 106 and he overpowered our 96 pound freshmen in a scramble and pinned him turning a 3 point decision into a pin. Team Score: H 6 - M 0

113: Joe Ford (M) got a tech against a young lady who had really flexible shoulders which made it tough to get the pin.  Not the first time I've seen this with a female wrestler.  H 6 - M 5

120:  Coach Lu made a good strategic move in bumping Ryan Bennett (H) up a weight.  Bennett was really aggressive and got a first period pin.  Not to say that Bennett couldn't beat Ford at 113, but by moving him up Holmen came out +1 in those two weights vs. potentially coming out -9.  H 12 - M 5

126:  Drew Kress (M) is looking tough this year.  Put in a lot of hard work this offseason.  The Askren takedown camp was a game changer for him.  First period pin for us.  H 12 - M 11

132: Great match.  Hayden Schlough (M) scored on his feet which was the difference in a close one.  H 12 - M 14

138: One of the most anticipated matches of the night with two returning state qualifiers, Ryan Stalsberg (H) vs. Logan Schlough (M).  Stalsberg took the lead with an early takedown and was ahead most of the way.  Schlough got an escape in the 3rd period to pull within 1 and then hit a great takedown to pull ahead.  Schlough rode him out in a short time situation to win.  Wouldn't suprise me to see the sequal in Madison.  H 12 - M 17

145: A wild 9-8 match between to tough young kids.  Too much happened to describe in detail, but there were a bunch of flurries.  Jake Goodman (M) lead most of the match but Jake Limberg (H) got a takedown in the final 30 seconds to win it.  H 15 - M 17

152: Another really close match.  Houston Olson (M) lead most of the match but again Zach Back (H) got a takedown with short time in the 3rd to earn the win.  H 18 - M 17

160: Cole Bartz (M) controlled the match, but wasn't able to get bonus points.  Logan Lasack (H) looks real strong, competed hard, and kept great position.  H 18 - M 20

170: Mason Stokke (M) took care of business with a takedown and turn to get a first period pin.  H 18 - M 26

182: I was really interested to see what would happen in this match up between Josh Waddell (M) and Duncan McKinney (H).  McKinney was 6th @ state @ 170 LY and Waddell took 3rd @ sectionals behind Hawksford and Reinhardt.  Waddell got it rolling right away and stayed on the attack the entire way to get the 18-5 major decision.  Credit McKinney with not breaking when most kids would and fighting off of his back multiple times to save team points.  H 18 - M 30

195: Noah Risch (H) got a 5-3 win over Mark Bryant (M).  I can see why Risch is a stud football player and is one of top ranked guys at 195.  He is strong and quick, just a great athlete.  With that said, our guy fought hard and made it a close match.  Mark is a product of a lot of years in our youth program and will have a solid senior season.  H 21 - M 30

220:  Another wild match.  Chuck Serauskus (H) took the early lead with a dominant 1st period over DJ Oas (M).  Oas hits a headlock and nearly had Serauskus pinned.  Gets rolled through and gets pinned.  I have to get up, walk away and take some deep breaths.  Woooosaaaah.....   H 27 - M 30

285:  It was fitting that dual would come down to a matchup between two big, and I mean big, top 10 heavyweights.  Hunter Hauser (H) weighed in at 285 and Jared Baldwin (M) weighed in at 282.  Baldwin took the lead with a 1st period takedown and held it until the end of the 2nd when Hauser scored a takedown and nearfall.  Baldwin started on top in the 3rd, got side rolled, and ended up underneath Hauser on his back, which from my perspective did not appear to be a real comfortable position.  Hauser gets the pin and Holmen gets the win 33-30.

IMO events like this are super important in order to build interest in the sport from the grass roots level.  The excitement in the gym was enough to get people hooked on wrestling.

If anyone in the greater Dunn County area is looking to improve their cardiovascular conditioning this afternoon feel free to stop by the MHS wrestling room anytime from 3:30 - 5:30  ;)

littleguy301

Thanks for the update Grant.

You sure have done a good job in Menomonie, for they are a stronge team and you will do well.