Improving, Regressing, or staying the same?

Started by Kodonnelllaw, February 18, 2016, 08:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

I thought they listed RT as 5-4 after last night's win. As to improving, regressing, or staying the same. I think Crone is improving along with RC, JJ, and Brock. Others... Let's leave it at that. I know every team deals with injury but I know several of the guys are battling it. I think Trevor hit it on the head when he spoke about confidence a couple of weeks ago. Those guys that are improving and RT are guys that walk out on to the mat knowing they are getting their hand raised.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

These stats must be referring to dual meets, or only Big Ten dual meets. Clearly if Jordan is 20-0 he has more than 9 takedowns, and we have more than 44 takedowns for the season as a team.

Since this must be referring to dual meets and we lost to Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, and Nebraska by quite a bit, the numbers are not surprising. Would we like them to be better? Of course.

Overall, I think we have been showing a lot more fight lately.  I like how we have had quite a few dual meets in February - I think this busy schedule helps our preparation for the Big Tens.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Zeke has stayed the same so far this year - unbeaten !
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Micah

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 19, 2016, 03:21:54 PM
Quote from: npope on February 19, 2016, 08:53:30 AM
Quote from: lizard king on February 19, 2016, 07:18:45 AM
Getting beat by a CMU team that is having a down year, can't be seen as a positive.  Although a few guys wrestled well last night, the badgers should never lose that dual.

CMU is 10-5 this year; 3-1 against Big Ten opponents; ranked around 18, depending on the poll. If that is a down year for them.... :o And Bucky is definitely in a down year for a couple of reasons. I guess I am just not overly surprised by their results. More to the point, I am disappointed that a couple of the Badgers simply aren't able to turn the corner and be better than average contributors in duals. I feel bad for those guys.

Don't they have 5 seniors? that is half the team. I agree, I don't think they are having a down year.

They won the MAC 11 straight years from 2002-2012 this year they have lost 2 duals in the MAC already and still have ODU.  To me this is a step back or a down year for them.  During their run they had multiple AAs a year and a finalist every now and then,  I don't see them getting an AA this year.   Yes, some of this has to do with the addition of Mizzou, but they still aren't as good as they were just a few years ago.

This is a good read, didn't know Borelli wrestled at the Citadel.
http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/tom_borrelli_903093.html

dad 2 5

Micah, I think they have had several starter out during those losses. They still have potential to have a very high NCAA finish. But we are getting off topic of IRS. I am interested in seeing some of the young guys and how much they improve. Ritter, Martin, ES all look to have solid careers ahead of them. 

billymurphy

I don't see them getting an AA this year.

CMU has a few guys that have a shot at being an All American.
It is certainly not a sure thing, but I predict that they get one AA.  The kid that beat Crone
was a backup to start the season but has won 12 matches in
a row, according to the announcer. I sure hope the coach gives that kid a shot.

mkm13

Jordan came into college no more talented than 50-75% of the starters on the top teams (Iowa, PSU, OSU,  etc).

If Jordan's success is a byproduct of his talent coming in, you could say the same for 95% of the elite college wrestlers. The difference is PSU, OSU, and Iowa bring in 2 guys of that talent level every year.   People can talk all they want about improving or regressing, but it is extremely uncommon for a high school kid to not come in as a top 100 recruit or struggle in the national high school tournaments and have success in the big 10.

For UW to get better, it will have to start with bringing in better talent.

imnofish

Quote from: mkm13 on February 20, 2016, 07:40:18 AM
Jordan came into college no more talented than 50-75% of the starters on the top teams (Iowa, PSU, OSU,  etc).

If Jordan's success is a byproduct of his talent coming in, you could say the same for 95% of the elite college wrestlers. The difference is PSU, OSU, and Iowa bring in 2 guys of that talent level every year.   People can talk all they want about improving or regressing, but it is extremely uncommon for a high school kid to not come in as a top 100 recruit or struggle in the national high school tournaments and have success in the big 10.

So, coaching has obviously been essential to Zeke's success, given his lack of high-level practice partners. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Micah

The biggest difference I think that sets PSU apart from everyone is their ability to develop talent.  Any team can have a top 5 recruiting class, the Badgers have had a few, but PSU under Cael never misses.  Almost every single top guy they bring in hits.  If they do miss on a guy or two they can take a guy like Conaway and turn him into a top 5 guy.  The PSU team last year was their JV team outside a few guys and they were still a force.  I also think Cael does a great job of managing his RS to put together teams in the future.

Getting top talent always helps but that is just 50% of the equation.

Barou

Quote from: Micah on February 20, 2016, 08:17:22 AM

The biggest difference I think that sets PSU apart from everyone is their ability to develop talent.  Any team can have a top 5 recruiting class, the Badgers have had a few, but PSU under Cael never misses.  Almost every single top guy they bring in hits.  If they do miss on a guy or two they can take a guy like Conaway and turn him into a top 5 guy.  The PSU team last year was their JV team outside a few guys and they were still a force.  I also think Cael does a great job of managing his RS to put together teams in the future.

Getting top talent always helps but that is just 50% of the equation.

I agree and last year's psu team was better than any of Barry davis' teams.....ever. It amazes me that the level of acceptance hasn't gotten to the point that UW loses to central Michigan and nobody blinks an eye. Just another loss. What is bd's best dual win? The highest ranked team he has beaten? Our basketball coach beat #2 on the road for seven straight last week and he can't shake the interim title.
JHI Mafia

npope

Quote from: Barou on February 20, 2016, 11:27:12 AM
It amazes me that the level of acceptance hasn't gotten to the point that UW loses to central Michigan and nobody blinks an eye. 

A CMU team that was ranked 19th in the nation. So, evidently there is some quality there, or at least those doing the rankings think so. So the Badgers have a close loss to the number 19th ranked team in the nation. The basketball team lost to UW-Milwaukee and other similar power houses - and beaten some good teams, as well. You cherry-pick meets to highlight the "excellent" results of the BB team while ignoring the obvious stumbles. That hurts your argument's credibility. The wrestlers also beat the 16th ranked team (Rutgers) in a dual. Nobody was peeing in their pants about that and claiming that the Badgers "had arrived."

Yes, this year's wrestling team is nothing to write home about - got that. Check. These results aren't all that uncommon for the Badgers as of late. Got that, too. Check. At the end of the day, the coaching staff should be held accountable (if someone actually needs to be held accountable for the results of a collegiate athletic program that can't support itself...at virtually any institution) for the results. Got that also. Check.

I think everyone recognizes exactly who these Badger wrestlers are this year - a relatively average team in the bigger scheme of things; someone who can beat (or lose to) most any other team in the 25-15 range in the rankings. Would the fans like to see a better team on a regular basis? It would seem so - understandably. But this is not something new - it has been like this for a long time. So one more loss (or win) to an average team isn't something that is going to get the fan-base worked up into a frenzy. CMU isn't a bad team and this is not the straw that would break the proverbial camel's back.

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope