Freestlye Champs for each Club

Started by Fish, May 08, 2024, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish

There's been a lot of talk about clubs in the state and how they are helping Wisconsin become a really good wrestling state.  I was curious to see which clubs produced the most freestyle state champs this past weekend so I added them all up. I didn't do Greco because I'm at work and I've wasted enough time on this already...!  For the kids that didn't sign up as a club I did a quick search of their track profile to see if they've signed up as a club in the recent past and if so, I added them to that club. (example: Herm and Koch signed up as Neenah, but i added them to Nazar's total because they train there regularly).  The "NO CLUB" kids are almost exclusively in the younger girls divisions.  listed are the clubs,  and the total number of champs across all divisions.  To be honest,  I was shocked to see how many clubs are in the state now!!

Askren (45)
No Club (20)
Team Nazar (14)
RT Elite (6)
B.A.M (5)
Crass Trained (5)
Sarbacker (4)
Aviators (4)
Ringers (3)
Victory (3)
Valley Elite (3)
Wrestling Factory (2)
B&B Training (2)
Pinnacle (2)
X-Factor (2)
LAW (1)
SHED Wrestling (1)
Summit Wrestling (1)
Northern Exposure (1)
State line stingers (1)
Fox Valley Elite (1)

I'm sure there are even more clubs but they are not listed because they did not have a champion.  Not surprised that AWA had the most champs by far,  but I am a little surprised LAW didn't do better, JMO.

rankwizard

Good write-up.

Askren does attract the majority of the top talent, understandably so.

Armdrag

another interesting stat, but would be fairly difficult to collect the data..........how many of these kids attend multiple clubs???

Fish

Quote from: Armdrag on May 09, 2024, 09:53:54 AManother interesting stat, but would be fairly difficult to collect the data..........how many of these kids attend multiple clubs???

There's definitely a good number of kids that cross train at multiple clubs.  I know of a few AWA kids that drop in at Nazar once a week to get an extra practice in and to find different partners.

Armdrag

For sure......I know a few that hit 3 different clubs

rankwizard

I think we all hit more than 3 clubs back in the day

Ghetto

Quote from: rankwizard on May 09, 2024, 03:42:57 PMI think we all hit more than 3 clubs back in the day

Man I hit so many clubs back in the day...
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Scramble_king

I wonder what % of athletes to win and place from each club would be.

rankwizard

Quote from: Scramble_king on May 10, 2024, 07:00:44 PMI wonder what % of athletes to win and place from each club would be.

Probably an interesting statistic but it would also not tell the whole story of each club. Some clubs get a lot of the 2nd tier and 3rd tier talent and not the top tier talent.

What's great is the competitive nature of the young wrestlers and the willingness to train to be better.

Sudden Death

Quote from: Fish on May 09, 2024, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: Armdrag on May 09, 2024, 09:53:54 AManother interesting stat, but would be fairly difficult to collect the data..........how many of these kids attend multiple clubs???

There's definitely a good number of kids that cross train at multiple clubs.  I know of a few AWA kids that drop in at Nazar once a week to get an extra practice in and to find different partners.

Also how many locations each club has as well will kinda skew the numbers as well

MTA

Quote from: Scramble_king on May 10, 2024, 07:00:44 PMI wonder what % of athletes to win and place from each club would be.

Agreed. Askren is doing an incredible job but they do have a lot more kids by volume. Additionally a lot of kids may not have made it to Madison for the tournament.

In any event I think most if not all on this forum would agree that doing FS/Greco and club work year round are going to produce better wrestlers!