World team trials

Started by aarons23, June 02, 2014, 08:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

I think the trials were an over whelming success.  It was a star studded wrestling weekend! To have the likes of Tony Ramos, David Taylor and Quentin wright all wrestling at one time was awesome.  Most of these brackets were stacked! Taylor , Howe and Burroughs all in the same bracket! Hats off to Mel Dow and WWF for coordinating  the novice duals with the trials.  It was awesome watching those kids interact with the seniors.  My two guys came home with a ton of autographs and dreams of competing like Burroughs, Taylor, Ramos, Howe, Ruth and the list goes on.  This was also the first time I really got to watch the women compete....and man do they compete.  Many matches were more exciting than the men's.  Leigh Provisor had the sweetest move of the tourney!

Only down falls...the American Anthem on Sunday......passivity rule with shot clock does nothing but put refs in the position of deciding matches...it creates more break in actions than it creates.  And the near takedown is another stupid rule.  To subjective and unevenly applied.  Jmo!

I hope we get trials here again soon!  Maybe Greco next year!
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ghetto

There wasn't as many people as I thought there would be. That was a bit disappointing.

Having all those guys wrestle was awesome. The Americans will have an impressive team going to worlds. 48kg in the women's division was ridiculous as well. Lampe, Chun, and Anthony could probably all medal at Worlds. I think that Anthony could have went up to 53 and won it. Is there a 51kg class to be wrestled at Fargo? I wasn't paying enough attention. So many good weights there.

Yeah the national anthem wasn't too good on Sunday. Did you get the feeling he was trying to overdo it?

I actually like the shot clock. It makes guys stop being passive. It is subjective in the way it is called however and always will be and that can be a problem when wrestling internationally. Howe just hangs on the head for that one shot. To me that's passive.

That drive home was horrible!!!
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hanbil

Thank you to Mitch Hull and Mel Dow for bringing this tournament to Wisconsin and all of the volunteers that helped with the event.

charteroak1

I couldn't agree more hanibil.  Everyone involved did an amazing job!  Rumor has it, it will be in Madison again next year.  Any truth to that?  If so, I'm buying my tickets ASAP!

wrestlersdad

How did it rate attendancewise compared to past venues?
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

Big Steve

As stated above hats off to the organizers that allowed Madison to host this wonderful event! This was hands down the most enjoyable wrestling tournament I have ever attended. Wrestlers and coaches were so approachable and signed so many autographs. Everywhere you looked there were heavy hitters of yesterday and today. Magic man was sitting with his mother and sister four seats down from us. Frank Molinaro and fam was right behind us. All wrestlers and coaches were more than willing to sign for my son. Even guys after hard fought losses. The environment was so relaxed with such good sportsmanship shown by competitors. Brands ended up getting the only caution I saw, so all in the world was right. I could go on and on.
I too thought there would be better attendance. AWA had a nice group of wrestlers.

I would guess there were 1500-2000 people there. With everything except the 300 section of the areas open full. Speaking to a wonderful gent from Iowa who attended last year in Oklahoma, said there were around 500 people in attendance there.

Quality of wrestling was great as was the refereeing. I found the matches very easy to follow and consistent with the way I understand the rules. I wish passivity would give the option of putting someone down to see a little more mat action, also wish it would be called more at the end of matches when leader is stalling out.
So many memorable wrestling moments..... Reece Humphrey had a huge 4 coming up off a shot.
I sure hope Madison is fortunate enough to host again next year.

gwmiller44

Anybody know why Alex Dieringer didn't wrestle?
Really? Think, Wow!

aarons23

He is taking time off to relax and enjoy life.....don't worry....he will be back! ;)
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

catzfan

i attended last weekend as well? i thought the venue was perfect. why would the kohl center be better? in what way, i should say? i don't know the figures but it is a big chunk of change to get the kohl center for the weekend vs. the alliant center. i imagine that is the reason for the difference, plus you didn't need all that room. How about the Barn (fieldhouse)? now there's a venue!

TomM

'the barn'?  You want to sit on those wood logs for two/three full days? Yikes... It was the cause of many sore backs for many years.  Fine for a two hour 'game', but not an all day event.

USA Wrestling and WWF people did a great job!  The Alliant was a great fit in my opinion.  All mats were easily seen from any seat in the place.  Concessions were easily accessible.  Seats were comfortable.  Parking was easy and cheap.  Access from highway was easy.  I don't know anything about locker rooms etc. as I have never been in them at the Alliant.

Mitch Hull and Mel Dow were busy guys who did a great job along with their considerable cast of hard working people.  Many of them are friends and I would name them all... but I would miss some names, so I won't even try.
Thanks to all of you who helped make this event work so well... right here in our back yard.  I hope it returns.

I can't believe it could be better or done better anywhere else.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

BRF Wrestling

Hats of to everyone that made that amazing wrestling happen her in wi. It was a great opportunity to watch the best of our best compete awesome weekend. I was fortunate enough to take my nephew and he was in aaawsome!!! Not only that he got to meet a lot of great wrestlers including Gable, Sanderson, Burroughs ,Varner and many more. My favorite moment was watching Niko Megaludus showing young kids some moves in the hallway. What a great person. Thanks Niko:)
NO PAIN...NO PAIN...