What Has Changed?

Started by Wrestling Novice, March 05, 2021, 08:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

What about all the hugging after the game?  In one game I even saw a player score with his mask off,  then he headed to the other end without replacing his mask.  Play was not stopped like it had to be in wrestling .
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

hammer

Quote from: thequad on March 07, 2021, 01:10:48 PM
What about all the hugging after the game?  In one game I even saw a player score with his mask off,  then he headed to the other end without replacing his mask.  Play was not stopped like it had to be in wrestling .

The basketball referee have said it isnt their job to make sure the masks are in place and the WIAA is letting it go.

dman

Everyone getting played like a fiddle...worse part is, a lot of it is at the expense of kids. 

panther93

Central played in the Div 3 semi-finals in Oshkosh.  We were given 590 or so tickets to distribute.  Players and coaches ordered first, then staff and our youth basketball organization, and finally the general public.  I believe all of our alloted tickets were sold.  That is more that the entire D2 state attendance.

Granted it was a bigger facility than Adam-Friendship's gym, but the same could have been done for wrestling (finding a bigger venue.)  Think of the number of split families that had actuall parents that had to stay home becuase their son only had two tickets to use. 

I loved seening our baksetball team play well this year and get that oppratunity to play at state, but at the same time it made my blood boil seeing them play three games in a week while we twiddled our thumbs waiting for our Thursday evening dual and then missing out staurday tournaments.

Preparewrestlingcoach

Basketball could have 500+ fans meanwhile Wrestling...you have to limit the number of qualifiers to your state tournaments because that's too many people...forget about it not being fair for fans of the sport this wasn't fair for the athletes!

bigoil

Quote from: Preparewrestlingcoach on March 09, 2021, 10:06:19 AM
Basketball could have 500+ fans meanwhile Wrestling...you have to limit the number of qualifiers to your state tournaments because that's too many people...forget about it not being fair for fans of the sport this wasn't fair for the athletes!
500+ fans from 1 of 2 teams, well over 1,000 people in attendance with media and volunteers.

imnofish

So, what do WE (the wrestling community) have the power to change and how quickly can we get those changes accomplished?  It seems to me that the obvious inequities can best be addressed by everyone getting vaccinated and continuing to follow CDC guidance on masking, distancing, handwashing, etc.  Encouraging others to do the same would also be advisable.  In other words, let's fight like heck to get the virus under control, so we can return to normal conditions by next season.  If we do that, the WIAA won't have to deal with the pandemic.  Problem solved! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bulldog

Quote from: imnofish on March 09, 2021, 11:53:42 AM
So, what do WE (the wrestling community) have the power to change and how quickly can we get those changes accomplished?  It seems to me that the obvious inequities can best be accomplished by everyone getting vaccinated and continuing to follow CDC guidance on masking, distancing, handwashing, etc.  Encouraging others to do the same would also be advisable.  In other words, let's fight like heck to get the virus under control, so we can return to normal conditions by next season.  If we do that, the WIAA won't have to deal with the pandemic.  Problem solved!

It doesn't seem the number of people that were or were not vaccinated had anything to do with the WIAA decisions regarding to number of fans allowed in to the state tournaments this year.  The general question may really be "how does wrestling get a real seat at the WIAA table so these types of biased decisions are not made in the future?"

imnofish

Quote from: bulldog on March 09, 2021, 01:14:57 PM
So, what do WE (the wrestling community) have the power to change and how quickly can we get those changes accomplished?  It seems to me that the obvious inequities can best be accomplished by everyone getting vaccinated and continuing to follow CDC guidance on masking, distancing, handwashing, etc.  Encouraging others to do the same would also be advisable.  In other words, let's fight like heck to get the virus under control, so we can return to normal conditions by next season.  If we do that, the WIAA won't have to deal with the pandemic.  Problem solved!

It doesn't seem the number of people that were or were not vaccinated had anything to do with the WIAA decisions regarding to number of fans allowed in to the state tournaments this year.  The general question may really be "how does wrestling get a real seat at the WIAA table so these types of biased decisions are not made in the future?"

Yes, I get that the policies were set without vaccination numbers in mind.  My point is that the fastest way to leave those regulations behind is to do everything WE can to help resolve the current inequities ASAP.  I absolutely agree with you about the actual concern, as described in your last sentence.  I am all for that being addressed, but we know that the process for making change tends to be long when dealing with the WIAA.  With COVID in our rearview mirror, maybe it will be easier to keep the focus on the biases that concern us. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

So, what do WE (the wrestling community) have the power to change and how quickly can we get those changes accomplished?  It seems to me that the obvious inequities can best be addressed by everyone getting vaccinated and continuing to follow CDC guidance on masking, distancing, handwashing, etc.  Encouraging others to do the same would also be advisable.  In other words, let's fight like heck to get the virus under control, so we can return to normal conditions by next season.  If we do that, the WIAA won't have to deal with the pandemic.  Problem solved!
Best and most important point made on the entire thread.
2nd is to do what we can to each help build our own, and each other's programs. If we can get our numbers of participants and participating schools back to traditional numbers of 12-14K rather than 7K, we will have more representation and more reasons to be listened to.

bigG

Good points, both o youse. The power is in numbers, obviously. Honestly, I could do more to recruit wrestlers in my school. Some of the younger generations, though, seem to lack the drive for physical sports. Gonna have some kids with muscular thumbs out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bulldog

Quote from: bigG on March 10, 2021, 09:02:26 AM
Good points, both o youse. The power is in numbers, obviously. Honestly, I could do more to recruit wrestlers in my school. Some of the younger generations, though, seem to lack the drive for physical sports. Gonna have some kids with muscular thumbs out there.

eSports is a huge growth in the sporting world. We need to build a virtual wrestling game and compete against other teams online...nope...forget that. That would stink as a sport.

bigG

Quote from: bulldog on March 10, 2021, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: bigG on March 10, 2021, 09:02:26 AM

eSports is a huge growth in the sporting world. We need to build a virtual wrestling game and compete against other teams online...nope...forget that. That would stink as a sport.

Just swallowed a little vomit. Hope that never happens. You're right, though, esports are gaining big-time.

joeski

Esports are gonna be in upcoming Olympics, if I remember correctly. And to think they redistricting wrestling. So this is not just a Wisconsin only issue. And, yes, get virus under control first. Then we can continue to lobby for the more important issues in our sport.

bigG

Hope they have Bad Dudes. The one game I mastered.