What Has Changed?

Started by Wrestling Novice, March 05, 2021, 08:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestling Novice

Watching the WIAA Basketball finals,  I wonder what has changed since the State wrestling finals.   The Basketball tournament has fans including students.   Yet wrestling was limited.   

I understand that the venue was larger for Basketball,  but why couldn't wrestling have been held at a larger venue?

Ghetto

Wade Labecki, who is supposed to at least pretend to advocate for wrestling, believed wrestling to be a super-spreader sport.

The end.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

beastmode

Happy for the basketball teams and their fans but it completely makes my blood boil thinking what wrestling state should have been. What a joke!
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

crossface21

The whole thing was BS. Basketball teams were playing 4-5 games a week, but wrestling could only have 1 meet every 7 days and no tournaments? Complete garbage.

memyselfandi

The top level of WIAA executives are retirement age male bureaucrats.  They are not capable of being flexible or progressive in thought.  Just look at how long it took them to sanction girls wrestling.  The fact that the coaches association feels that they are only able to make a big change every several years should speak volumes.

Wrestling Novice

It looks like they have  5 coaches,  three managers AND cheerleaders! What an absolute joke.

Wrestling Novice

Does anyone know what the limitations were for team State as far as fans?

TomM

(Note: I did not account for "5 coaches,  three managers AND cheerleaders" for basketball as Wrestling Novice mentions)

Let's take a look at the numbers while giving WIAA the benefit of the doubt. (play Jeopardy them here)
Concerning 'fans' allowed at WIAA winter State Championship events
(comparing wrestling and basketball)

The 'tickets for sale' to public for basketball may have been due to number of participants being allowed when you compare wrestling to basketball.

Wrestling:
WIAA allowed "2 tickets per competing wrestler" and some number of coaches, let's say two per team.
60 teams at D1 and D2 and 52 teams at D3
112 wrestlers entered at each D1, D2, D3
60 teams equal 120 wrestling coaches allowed (minimum).
120 wrestlers equal 224 fans allowed at two each participant.
120 + 224 = 344 allowed (beyond participating wrestlers)
Wrestling = 344 fans and coaches allowed.

Basketball:
WIAA allowed "2 tickets per competing basketball player" and some number of coaches, let's say four per team.
First Session involves four teams (semifinal) per session.
15 players per team equals 60 players per session.
4 Coaches per team equals 16 coaches.
60 players equal 120 fans allowed at two per player.
16 + 120 = 136 fans and coaches.
Basketball = 136 fans and coaches allowed.

TOTALS:
344 wrestling fans/coaches*
136 basketball fans/coaches*
208 possible tickets for sale to public subtracting 136 from 344.
(*this figure does not account for possible administrator tickets allotted etc.)

For Basketball Championship games there would be 8 coaches and 30 players totaling 60 fans. This would equal 68 players and coaches, which equals another 278 tickets on sale to general public.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Tom, they allowed I believe 500 or 550 fans per team for hoops.

It amounted to roughly 1/3 of the capacity at the Menomini nation arena

TomM

Interesting.
Thanks.
There goes my theory.
???
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on March 06, 2021, 04:45:51 PM

I think d3 allowed 500 per school and d1 was going to allow more from what they said in a press release, though that could be for la crosse. I think la crosse can hold more than the one in oshkosh.

Any way you slice and dice it basketball is allowing more fans in that wrestling and that's the bottom line because wade says so!

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on March 05, 2021, 10:54:27 PM
Wade Labecki, who is supposed to at least pretend to advocate for wrestling, believed wrestling to be a super-spreader sport.

The end.

There once was a boy named ghetto. He kept his tongue in check. He didn't speak much at all but when he did, he was 100% correct. The end.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

1Iota

This is absolutely ridiculous and demonstrates a larger issue that those who in control don't think out sport has enough support to create problems for them.  At levels wrestling often treated with little respect.  Part of the problem in my opinion is we don't advocate and demonstrate our fandom the way we need to.  I hope everyone is watching the Big Ten semi-finals tonight.  BTN is giving our sport wall to wall prime time coverage.

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 06, 2021, 06:33:39 PM
Quote from: bigoil on March 06, 2021, 04:45:51 PM

I think d3 allowed 500 per school and d1 was going to allow more from what they said in a press release, though that could be for la crosse. I think la crosse can hold more than the one in oshkosh.

Any way you slice and dice it basketball is allowing more fans in that wrestling and that's the bottom line because wade says so!
I only know D3 in Oshkosh but watching LAX doesn't look like more.

wrestlingfan32

The La Crosse center was letting in 1000 people per game.

"With a maximum of 1000 fans per game, the La Crosse Center looks forward to welcoming patrons from throughout the state of Wisconsin to the arena with proper social distancing measures in place. Masks are also required on premises.

From an article about state basketball coming to La Crosse.