What should be first to get changed

Started by crossface21, February 16, 2017, 08:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: ramjet on February 16, 2017, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 16, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on February 16, 2017, 10:42:52 AM
100% College out of bounds rules. This would make things a lot more interesting. Too much garbage called on the edge of the mat. I would like some Wisconsin Refs to weigh in on this and know their thoughts.
Will need bigger competition mats which means expenses for each school district is biggest issue I see with this one.

That's what booster clubs and fund raising is for this is not a very valid excuse, a concern yes, but it can be done with just a little bit of work.
I agree but not every small town has a great booster club or fundraising giant to raise the kind of money a new mat costs.  Maybe if they can tape extra mats around the outside in some areas that could possibly be a solution.  Will say larger mat areas will play a factor in gym space for big tournaments too and many schools don't have to space to run say 3 mats for a sectional either so will limit the number of facilities that can hold tournaments.  I know River Falls would have trouble putting the number of mats down without using another gym for Northern Badger adding an extra say 2 feet to each mat for this for safety reasons.  Look at Somerset's gym in the NW which often gets individual sectionals, with this new rule wrestlers would be wrestling on other mats while still in-bounds on their own.

ramjet

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 17, 2017, 07:40:58 AM
100% College out of bounds rules. This would make things a lot more interesting. Too much garbage called on the edge of the mat. I would like some Wisconsin Refs to weigh in on this and know their thoughts.
Will need bigger competition mats which means expenses for each school district is biggest issue I see with this one.

That's what booster clubs and fund raising is for this is not a very valid excuse, a concern yes, but it can be done with just a little bit of work.
I agree but not every small town has a great booster club or fundraising giant to raise the kind of money a new mat costs.  Maybe if they can tape extra mats around the outside in some areas that could possibly be a solution.  Will say larger mat areas will play a factor in gym space for big tournaments too and many schools don't have to space to run say 3 mats for a sectional either so will limit the number of facilities that can hold tournaments.  I know River Falls would have trouble putting the number of mats down without using another gym for Northern Badger adding an extra say 2 feet to each mat for this for safety reasons.  Look at Somerset's gym in the NW which often gets individual sectionals, with this new rule wrestlers would be wrestling on other mats while still in-bounds on their own.

I get that but some venues may have to restructure the tournament format. Our school is in that postion but we have small gym and could accomplish this by running one mat in that gym that is 50feet down the same hall. My point is were there is a will there is a way. That rule change could pay big dividends on making the sport grow and make it exciting for the spectators. One thing about College wrestling one the most exciting parts of match is two wrestlers battling for postion and the crowd yelling out YWWWOOOOOOOOOOO. Seems simple but simple changes can have a huge impact on the sport in a positive way. I know it would not be easy that's why you plan for it two or three years down the road not an immediate change.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: ramjet on February 17, 2017, 09:02:21 AM
Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 17, 2017, 07:40:58 AM

I get that but some venues may have to restructure the tournament format. Our school is in that postion but we have small gym and could accomplish this by running one mat in that gym that is 50feet down the same hall. My point is were there is a will there is a way. That rule change could pay big dividends on making the sport grow and make it exciting for the spectators. One thing about College wrestling one the most exciting parts of match is two wrestlers battling for postion and the crowd yelling out YWWWOOOOOOOOOOO. Seems simple but simple changes can have a huge impact on the sport in a positive way. I know it would not be easy that's why you plan for it two or three years down the road not an immediate change.
Agree would have to be a rule change that they say schools, booster clubs, plan in advance 3-5 years from now we are going to this so need to prepare.  Given the right amount of time this could be an easy one I agree and great for the sport.

DocWrestling

There are fairly inexpensive ways to add mats around the present mat for safety I would think.

In tournaments I think you would only need that extra space on the outside.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Molly Engedal

Add sanctioning girls high school wrestling and I'm on board with all of your suggestions. The women's program would appreciate your support in the future. The more people that talk about it, the better.

ramjet

Quote from: Molly Engedal on February 18, 2017, 11:21:31 AM
Add sanctioning girls high school wrestling and I'm on board with all of your suggestions. The women's program would appreciate your support in the future. The more people that talk about it, the better.

Absolutely!!!!