Deer Hunting Question

Started by Kjohnson, November 12, 2013, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeast

Oh, and as far as corn being un-safe...I would concur but only when driving deer in a large group. Most dangerous way to hunt is driving deer in a large group and safe is as safe does.

If you are alone or with ONE other hunter and walk against the rows side by side, looking down the rows, it's very safe.  And productive.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Handles II

Quote from: jeast on November 14, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
Here's another trick for getting the bucks interested in where your stand is.  Take and cut down a small scrub tree or a nice sized limb off of a tree in the yard.  Take your post hole digger or a shovel and put that thing in the ground within shooting range (bow or gun).  Take your foot and rub the ground clean of grass or leaves under a licking branch (this is a branch that is small in diameter and within 5 feet of your home made scrape) squirt some doe pee (available at walmart or any place that sells gear) on the scrape, then some dominant buck paste on that licking stick.  HA! 
Whenever I do this, I get bucks hitting it like crazy.  Increases your odds of a buck checking that scrape out anytime he's near.  Works during gun season too.  Mainly because there's always a doe in heat until december...some are earlier some are later and some don't get bred and come back in within the first rut...so give it a shot.  Only takes 10 minutes to do and it does work.

Or just find a fairly low branch, bend it down until some fibers break (but don't break the branch off) so the end of it is about 3-4 feet off the ground, again, as Jeast said, scrape away all the leaves etc, and rather than buying some urine, just pee in it yourself. Works great. I've had bucks in licking that branch and adding their own scent less than a day later (I hang my camera on a nearby tree). Mock scrapes do work, and human urine is just fine. It's often better to start one early in the pre-rut stage, but they can work at any time. It doesn't only attract bucks either, doe will use it just as often.

imnofish

Quote from: Handles II on November 14, 2013, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: jeast on November 14, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
Here's another trick for getting the bucks interested in where your stand is.  Take and cut down a small scrub tree or a nice sized limb off of a tree in the yard.  Take your post hole digger or a shovel and put that thing in the ground within shooting range (bow or gun).  Take your foot and rub the ground clean of grass or leaves under a licking branch (this is a branch that is small in diameter and within 5 feet of your home made scrape) squirt some doe pee (available at walmart or any place that sells gear) on the scrape, then some dominant buck paste on that licking stick.  HA! 
Whenever I do this, I get bucks hitting it like crazy.  Increases your odds of a buck checking that scrape out anytime he's near.  Works during gun season too.  Mainly because there's always a doe in heat until december...some are earlier some are later and some don't get bred and come back in within the first rut...so give it a shot.  Only takes 10 minutes to do and it does work.

Or just find a fairly low branch, bend it down until some fibers break (but don't break the branch off) so the end of it is about 3-4 feet off the ground, again, as Jeast said, scrape away all the leaves etc, and rather than buying some urine, just pee in it yourself. Works great. I've had bucks in licking that branch and adding their own scent less than a day later (I hang my camera on a nearby tree). Mock scrapes do work, and human urine is just fine. It's often better to start one early in the pre-rut stage, but they can work at any time. It doesn't only attract bucks either, doe will use it just as often.

Some guys will do anything to get a female's attention.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I wonder if a good stinky coffee or asparagus pee would work better. Just a thought.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on November 14, 2013, 09:23:27 PM
I wonder if a good stinky coffee or asparagus pee would work better. Just a thought.

Lol!  Maybe some pickled beets would be helpful...   or at least more colorful? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

maggie

true Jeast...and can be very productive also
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

jeast

Not too many of my stands are "in the woods" so to speak.  Most are on the fringes.  Not always a tree close by to make a mock scrape.  I have had success with a mock tree and scrape out in a cornfield.  Deer are not the smartest creatures.  Very, very wary and alert, but not all that smart. 

Put one scrub tree right in a picked corn field two weeks ago.  The deer have hit that thing like crazy.  Before next spring I will pull it out and throw it in the ditch.  But right now, it is a communal scrape that every deer that is in the area is checking.  Funny.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

imnofish

Quote from: jeast on November 15, 2013, 07:31:25 AM
Not too many of my stands are "in the woods" so to speak.  Most are on the fringes.  Not always a tree close by to make a mock scrape.  I have had success with a mock tree and scrape out in a cornfield.  Deer are not the smartest creatures.  Very, very wary and alert, but not all that smart. 

Put one scrub tree right in a picked corn field two weeks ago.  The deer have hit that thing like crazy.  Before next spring I will pull it out and throw it in the ditch.  But right now, it is a communal scrape that every deer that is in the area is checking.  Funny.

Whether you are fishing or hunting, riparian ecosystems are always worth checking out.  Seems wildlife has a propensity for "living on the edge." 

bigG

I know a guy that , instead of tree standing, he waits in a ditch he has dug out right on the edge like that. He just found some paths and dug out a ditch between some. I call him the WW1 deerhunter.

maggie

G, i can see you now on opening morning..., up on one of those high hill ya have up that way, nestled into a big round hay bail, drinking coffee out of a half gal mug, munching on a granola bar waiting for the sun to come up.. :).
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on November 15, 2013, 02:48:16 PM
I know a guy that , instead of tree standing, he waits in a ditch he has dug out right on the edge like that. He just found some paths and dug out a ditch between some. I call him the WW1 deerhunter.

;D  Sgt. York?

bigG

LOL! The nut's got a chair in the ditch.

I can't remember a year he hasn't brought in the meat, though.

imnofish

If you remember the movie, Sgt. York got enemy soldiers at a disadvantage by getting at one end of their trench and picking them off one at a time.  Maybe, your friend would do even better by planting branches throughout the length of a trench.  Wonder how many deer would be in there at the same time...    ;)

bigG

Quote from: maggie on November 15, 2013, 04:02:56 PM
G, i can see you now on opening morning..., up on one of those high hill ya have up that way, nestled into a big round hay bail, drinking coffee out of a half gal mug, munching on a granola bar waiting for the sun to come up.. :).

I do have a mug that big, and the hill is within eyeshot. It's beautiful here. Nice little valley we live in.

Good stuff Jeast and Handles. My son likes deer; but I dig the better eats (IMHO) squirrel, pheasant and turkey. Just the meats I prefer.

Why can't feral lambs be a problem?

Handles II

feral lambs  ;D ;D ;D ;D! Good one G. I too love the squirrels.
Sounds like it will be a c'c'c'c'cooooldddd one tomorrow morning boys. Dress warm, KJ, those very slow walks to a different stand could be very important for cold feet.
Be safe, have fun. Hope there are some good stories over the next 9 days. Let us know :)