If I was in charge of wrestling in wisconsin

Started by littleguy301, March 04, 2020, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegillbucket24

Question.. For Session 2, why don't they run back the D1 matches rather than have the D2/D3 Quarters in between?  Seems like a ton of waiting for all wrestlers D1/D2/D3 wrestlers. Also, this would buy an extra hour or two for the D2/D3 guys who wrestled later in the night on Friday.

Is it a matter of keeping the D1 folks in the Kohl longer to spend more $$ on concessions? 

Current Schedule:

Div. 1 Consolations – 10 a.m. (all mats) (Doors open 9:00 a.m.)
Weigh Ins (Div 1): 8:30 a.m. / Weigh Ins (Div 2 & 3): 9:00 a.m.
Div. 2 & 3 Quarterfinals – Approximately 15 minutes following previous round.
(Div. 2 on mats 1, 2 & 3; Div. 3 on mats 4, 5 & 6)
Div. 1 Consolation Quarterfinals – Approximately 15 minutes following previous round. (all mats)
Div. 2 & 3 Consolation Quarterfinals – Approximately 15 minutes following previous round.

Proposed Schedule:

Div. 1 Consolation Quarterfinals – Approximately 15 minutes following previous round. (all mats)
Div. 2 & 3 Consolation Quarterfinals – Approximately 15 minutes following previous round.

400excracer

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 04, 2020, 09:22:17 AM
Honestly the dumbest rule in all of wrestling is that fact that any varsity match is shortened to 5 minutes just because you lost earlier in the day.

Every varsity match in every tournament should be 2-2-2.

This rule to shorten the match seems to be about the dumbest rule across all sports.  You literally change the flow of a match simply because the wrestlers have lost prior?  They are somehow not worthy of the extra minute?
My son lost a match this year because of 1-2-2. He didn't realize it was 1-2-2 and gave up a takedown with 2 seconds left in the 1st. He could have easily held on to the end of the period. He lost 2-0. Granted, he should have known it was 1-2-2. I have always hated 1-2-2.

dforsythe

Quote from: bluegillbucket24 on March 04, 2020, 01:23:38 PM
Question.. For Session 2, why don't they run back the D1 matches rather than have the D2/D3 Quarters in between?  Seems like a ton of waiting for all wrestlers D1/D2/D3 wrestlers. Also, this would buy an extra hour or two for the D2/D3 guys who wrestled later in the night on Friday.

Is it a matter of keeping the D1 folks in the Kohl longer to spend more $$ on concessions? 

Current Schedule:

Weigh Ins (Div 1): 8:30 a.m. / Weigh Ins (Div 2 & 3): 9:00 a.m.

Proposed Schedule:

I like the current format. There are some emotional matches for the kids in the D2/D3 quarters and it gives them a little time to recover emotionally before they have to wrestle again. Also, since D1 goes on all 6 mats, they might run into problems with the 45 minute rest.

factfinder

Best thread of the year!!!
Seed the state tournament and get rid of 7&7 and kids no longer have great record's but they become great wrestler's. iF HEAD TO HEAD matches are a factor in seeding watch schedules and match up's change so kid's/teams that plan on going to state actually wrestle each other through out the season. It will improve the wrestling experience for everyone when hammers face each other and kids that are still developing face each other throughout the season.
How nice would it be if triangles and quad's were just counted as an event? Or a team with 10-11 wrestlers could schedule a majority of there scheduled with tournaments?
Let program's that are rebuilding face similar levels of competition and let the kids enjoy success all while allowing good team's to become better?? It's a win win?

These changes will change WI wrestling and get it caught up to the rest of the midwest. 
I think Little Guy would make an outstanding addition to the WIAA, but I high doubt they would nor are they willing to improve!!

DocWrestling

I would also like the WIAA to create a "open" season over Christmas.  It would be great if Bi-State, Oshkosh, Mid-States, etc could accept individual wrestlers that would not count towards their teams 7&7.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

hornbuckleb

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2020, 12:18:20 AM
Here are some things I would like to see happen in Wisconsin wrestling.

1. Double elimination for all state events whether team or individual. Individual YES - Either Seed it or Add double elimination, Team NO - Not done with Football or Basketball

2. Super sectionals and all divisions getting 16 to state.
     A. Have each division have the same amount of teams. YES on Same amount of teams for each division having same number of qualifiers, No Need for Super Sectional if this is done

3. A true dual meet formula to get teams to state.
     A. Bring 8 per division and placing to 5/6Top 2 from Regional go to Team Sectional with winner advancing to Team State to determine champion only.

4. Instead of the wiaa being in charge of the refs, have the coaches association in charge of the refs. The coaches know what they want and work it out with the refs. Having the wiaa in charge hand cuffs refs and coaches alike. Also if a coach complains to the ref about a call, the ref can always say back, that is what you wanted :D okay....

5. Get rid of the 7 and 7 rule and go with 14 weigh ins. This allows freedom to the teams and school to find like opponents for the betterment of devolpement of the program. Though maybe set a match limit.sounds like a great idea, but implement a season match limit if we are really concerned about the kids - unless you want some kids having 70+ matches before they get to state

6. Keep the weight min. but get rid of the weight loss plan. To get the average kid out for wrestling we dont need to confuse them any more than we already do. With this set some guidelines as to how to establish your state series weight class before state. Keep the min weight and decent plan, but certify the weight by Jan 1st to get the weight allowance.  This means if you plan on wrestling lower weight at end of season you make that weight from Jan 1st until the end of the year - record goes with you.  If you certify a weight but go up a weight you only keep your record from the matches wrestled at the higher weight

7. Allow each state champ 5 to 10 seconds of some dance with out being penalized for it ;I get it but I don't get it.  Backflip yes, but no to the hoky poky..

8. Figure out how to seed the state tournament. Most states have this so.......seed or double elimination - pick one don't need both

MNbadger

In regard to your #2.......
8 Sections for each division (divisions roughly equal numbers)
Weekend I Section Team Duals (We do a pigtail on Wednesday) Friday three rounds
Section champs go to state (8 team state bracket)
Weekend II Section Individual Tournament (Friday/Saturday).  This could be done in one day, some do.
Top two per weight go to state (16 man state bracket)
Weekend III "State"
Thursday Team Dual Championships
Friday/Saturday Individual Championships
We do not yet have double elimination but we are working on it.
I also believe this would help diminish the number of skinny weight brackets in your present regionals.

1. Double elimination for all state events whether team or individual.

A. Have each division have the same amount of teams.

A. Bring 8 per division and placing to 5/6

4. Instead of the wiaa being in charge of the refs, have the coaches association in charge of the refs. The coaches know what they want and work it out with the refs. Having the wiaa in charge hand cuffs refs and coaches alike. Also if a coach complains to the ref about a call, the ref can always say back, that is what you wanted :D

5. Get rid of the 7 and 7 rule and go with 14 weigh ins. This allows freedom to the teams and school to find like opponents for the betterment of devolpement of the program. Though maybe set a match limit.

6. Keep the weight min. but get rid of the weight loss plan. To get the average kid out for wrestling we dont need to confuse them any more than we already do. With this set some guidelines as to how to establish your state series weight class before state.

7. Allow each state champ 5 to 10 seconds of some dance with out being penalized for it ;

8. Figure out how to seed the state tournament. Most states have this so.......
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

In regard to your #6........
We have no descent plan.  After January 15th, at least one half your weigh ins must be at the weight you want to wrestle for sections.   
Quote from: MNbadger on March 04, 2020, 04:48:21 PM
In regard to your #2.......
8 Sections for each division (divisions roughly equal numbers)
Weekend I Section Team Duals (We do a pigtail on Wednesday) Friday three rounds
Section champs go to state (8 team state bracket)
Weekend II Section Individual Tournament (Friday/Saturday).  This could be done in one day, some do.
Top two per weight go to state (16 man state bracket)
Weekend III "State"
Thursday Team Dual Championships
Friday/Saturday Individual Championships
We do not yet have double elimination but we are working on it.
I also believe this would help diminish the number of skinny weight brackets in your present regionals.

1. Double elimination for all state events whether team or individual.

A. Have each division have the same amount of teams.

A. Bring 8 per division and placing to 5/6

4. Instead of the wiaa being in charge of the refs, have the coaches association in charge of the refs. The coaches know what they want and work it out with the refs. Having the wiaa in charge hand cuffs refs and coaches alike. Also if a coach complains to the ref about a call, the ref can always say back, that is what you wanted :D

5. Get rid of the 7 and 7 rule and go with 14 weigh ins. This allows freedom to the teams and school to find like opponents for the betterment of devolpement of the program. Though maybe set a match limit.

6. Keep the weight min. but get rid of the weight loss plan. To get the average kid out for wrestling we dont need to confuse them any more than we already do. With this set some guidelines as to how to establish your state series weight class before state.

7. Allow each state champ 5 to 10 seconds of some dance with out being penalized for it ;

8. Figure out how to seed the state tournament. Most states have this so.......
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: hornbuckleb on March 04, 2020, 03:51:58 PM

1. Double elimination for all state events whether team or individual. Individual YES - Either Seed it or Add double elimination, Team NO - Not done with Football or Basketball

A. Have each division have the same amount of teams. YES on Same amount of teams for each division having same number of qualifiers, No Need for Super Sectional if this is done

A. Bring 8 per division and placing to 5/6Top 2 from Regional go to Team Sectional with winner advancing to Team State to determine champion only.

4. Instead of the wiaa being in charge of the refs, have the coaches association in charge of the refs. The coaches know what they want and work it out with the refs. Having the wiaa in charge hand cuffs refs and coaches alike. Also if a coach complains to the ref about a call, the ref can always say back, that is what you wanted :D okay....

5. Get rid of the 7 and 7 rule and go with 14 weigh ins. This allows freedom to the teams and school to find like opponents for the betterment of devolpement of the program. Though maybe set a match limit.sounds like a great idea, but implement a season match limit if we are really concerned about the kids - unless you want some kids having 70+ matches before they get to state

6. Keep the weight min. but get rid of the weight loss plan. To get the average kid out for wrestling we dont need to confuse them any more than we already do. With this set some guidelines as to how to establish your state series weight class before state. Keep the min weight and decent plan, but certify the weight by Jan 1st to get the weight allowance.  This means if you plan on wrestling lower weight at end of season you make that weight from Jan 1st until the end of the year - record goes with you.  If you certify a weight but go up a weight you only keep your record from the matches wrestled at the higher weight

7. Allow each state champ 5 to 10 seconds of some dance with out being penalized for it ;I get it but I don't get it.  Backflip yes, but no to the hoky poky..

8. Figure out how to seed the state tournament. Most states have this so.......seed or double elimination - pick one don't need both

Why not both to number 8?

Let the kids have fun on number 7. Hoky poky sure, no more than 2 pelvic pumps. Key and peele ;D

Number 6, I like the idea of a set weight by a certain date but no need to monitor it.

Number 5, yes have a limit of some sort with matches.

Number 3, why not being down 8 teams? If it is for the kids let them get to state and have 22 matches at least. 3 for the placing teams. Chance of a live time and great for the whole team.

Number 2, ok you will need a 2 day event unless you sign a waiver to go to 6 matches in a day.

Number 1. Football is the only sport that I dont see the point of playing for third plus the preparation would be to much. I say for all other sports go for double elimination and having at minimum a 3rd place. I think a banner in the local gym saying 4th place at state means more than participate.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

factfinder

1. This is easier to do in WI then anywhere else!!!! they already took a 2 day tournament and stretched into 3 days. If you do the math on the average length of a match double elimination would take an extra hour and 40 minutes at the most. This is a no brainer with the current WI state 3 DAY format.
2.How many state's have a 2 tournament process to get to state? I personally don't know of any others? Don't add a super Sectional just eliminate regionals.lol
3.The current format is the worst team state qualifier in the nation, they were ripping on it on Flo radio a few weeks ago. No one on the show understood why you would have an individual tournament determine a dual team tournament. This is super dumb!!!
4. The only way to keep up to the time's and trends in wrestling is to join the coaches and referee's together so what the kids are being coached is the same as how it's being officiated. I see only about 1/3 of the yelling at Ref's in MN as I do in WI, the rules in MN are much simpler to understand so a lot less yelling(I still go to a lot of WI duals and tournaments). So instead of the WIAA trying to control behavior they should fix the problem and let the Ref's and coaches run the sport. I blame the WIAA (not the fans) for the miss treatment the ref's face in WI , at least the ref's get paid better in WI then other states.
They need to bring the rules and officiating closer to the college rules, including the challenge brick this will eliminate some of the abuse the ref's endure and improve the quality of wrestling in the state when action is being forced.
5. The NFHS already has a match count limit's on how many matches a wrestler can have in a day (this is a none issue) IL just dropped there version of the 7&7 rule and MN has a 16 weigh in rule and there kids have the same amount of matches as WI kids coming into state. The worst argument to this progressive change is worrisome about match count's, leave the state once and a while and see how well thing work elsewhere...
6. The decent plan is by far the dumbest thing the WIAA has ever voted in!!! If little Johny weigh's in at 134.6 tonight and he weigh's 140 later that night and on Saturday he weighs in at 134.2 he is still yo yo'ing!!!!!!!! I DOESNT WORK!!!  It only adds work for coaches and hurts dual's and add FF's that dint need to happen. Wouldn't we all prefer to let a kid make a cut for a tournament and relax cutting weight at dual's????

7. Is there another state ran organization like the WIAA that cares more about flexing or letting a 17yr old have a moment of joy??? It's not an issue any where else that I am aware of out side of the WIAA? I watched a coach do a back flip with his wrestler last week at the MN state tournament and the crowd loved it...
8. Most states do both! and with a 2 day tournament being stretched into three days this should super easy!!! No excuses on this, the WI state tournament has more time to make this work then everyone else thats already doing it!!
WIAA please show the kids some respect and have every match be a 2-2-2 match at state, I think the wrestlers, coaches and parent's have earned that! And its a 2 day tournament stretched into 3 days so what the heck!!

justwrestle

Individual State Wrestling Tournament Seeding Procedures from Illinois:

This is for a 16-wrestler bracket with double elimination.

Establish a point system for each of the sectional winners. The wrestler who has the highest number of points would be seeded
number one; the wrestler with the second highest points would be seeded number two etc. The wrestlers that placed second and third in each sectional would be assigned to a designated spot in the opposite bracket of the winner from that sectional.

Returning state champions at any weight class........................30 points
Returning 2nd or 3rd place winner at any weight class................. 25 points
Returning 4th, 5th or 6th place winner at any weight class............. 20 points
Returning state qualifier at any weight class................................... 10 points
Undefeated wrestler (minimum of 20 matches).............................20 points
37 or more wins................. 15 points
32 to 36 wins......................10 points
27 to 31 wins........................7 points
22 to 26 wins........................5 points

If tied for a place, flip of a coin would determine the seed of the wrestlers for placement of that seed on the bracket, except for the number one (1) seed and if the returning champ at that weight class is tied for the number one (1) seed, the returning champ will be seeded number one (1).

This and double elimination!  Honest question: based on the fact that we have fewer schools and wrestlers than Illinois, would going to a two-class tournament make this more doable?

factfinder

Quote from: justwrestle on March 05, 2020, 11:13:21 AM
Individual State Wrestling Tournament Seeding Procedures from Illinois:

This is for a 16-wrestler bracket with double elimination.

Establish a point system for each of the sectional winners. The wrestler who has the highest number of points would be seeded
number one; the wrestler with the second highest points would be seeded number two etc. The wrestlers that placed second and third in each sectional would be assigned to a designated spot in the opposite bracket of the winner from that sectional.

Returning state champions at any weight class........................30 points
Returning 2nd or 3rd place winner at any weight class................. 25 points
Returning 4th, 5th or 6th place winner at any weight class............. 20 points
Returning state qualifier at any weight class................................... 10 points
Undefeated wrestler (minimum of 20 matches).............................20 points
37 or more wins................. 15 points
32 to 36 wins......................10 points
27 to 31 wins........................7 points
22 to 26 wins........................5 points

If tied for a place, flip of a coin would determine the seed of the wrestlers for placement of that seed on the bracket, except for the number one (1) seed and if the returning champ at that weight class is tied for the number one (1) seed, the returning champ will be seeded number one (1).

This and double elimination!  Honest question: based on the fact that we have fewer schools and wrestlers than Illinois, would going to a two-class tournament make this more doable?
Not bad but I like awarding point's for head to head win's, records don't mean that much! Not every sectional is hard to get out of and not very many team's have challenging schedules? I also think that Illinois will modify this now that they got rid of 7&7.

justwrestle

It would be a great start to getting at least sectional champions seeded.  It also takes the subjectivity of the coaches' roles in seeding out of the process.  I do agree that adding head-to-head would make sense as well. 

DocWrestling

Cannot reward undefeated season. People would dodge matches

I also like earning points for beating past state qualifiers.

5 points for each victory over someone in your state bracket this year
5 points for beating a past state placewinner in your division.
4 points for beating a past state placewinner in another division
3 points for beating a past state qualifier in your division
2 points for beating a past state qualifier in another division.
1 point for every wrestler you defeated that finished with 30+ wins

No penalty for losing any matches.  Reward victories and those that chase competition and the big matches.  Could even set up some big matches in duals instead of dodging each other.

DocWrestling

Then seed the sectional runner ups the same way