High school coaches central database.

Started by ramjet, October 05, 2015, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Want to know why kids quit high school wrestling?

Why not have the WIAA have a central data base that coach can enter the reasons they loose a wrestler.

Enter the kids grade.
How long they were out.
Choose from a list of reasons.

End of the year you have data for the entire state.

Barou

Quote from: ramjet on October 05, 2015, 08:15:20 AM

Why not have the WIAA have a central data base that coach can enter the reasons they loose a wrestler.

Enter the kids grade.
How long they were out.

Great idea but I'd find a way to collect that data without bringing the WIAA into it.
JHI Mafia

ramjet

Quote from: Barou on October 05, 2015, 10:17:42 AM

Enter the kids grade.
How long they were out.

Great idea but I'd find a way to collect that data without bringing the WIAA into it.

I am actually toying with the idea. I think allot of information and trends can be acquired if the coaches would be willing to share.

As crazy as it may sound many may refuse to contribute for various reasons.

Oldtimer

Quote from: ramjet on October 05, 2015, 10:42:32 AM
Quote from: Barou on October 05, 2015, 10:17:42 AM

Enter the kids grade.
How long they were out.

I am actually toying with the idea. I think allot of information and trends can be acquired if the coaches would be willing to share.

As crazy as it may sound many may refuse to contribute for various reasons.

Agreed that many may refuse due to personal reasons but some real data is better than conjecture with no data
Beware of the northern sleeper

bulldog

This is an interesting idea...would you collect data k-12? I wonder if there is a way to collect data from the kids/parents to get their feedback on why they quit wrestling. I would guess most of the reason coaches would say kids quit would be because the kid just didn't like wrestling...But I guess it could be they went to a different sport - basketball/hockey. And the more I think about it you may not even need the kids names...just a grade they quit and why

padre

I'll gladly put our K-12 numbers on who comes back from last year...new additions also by grade after sign ups.   Maybe some others will.

ramjet

No names no needs for names or even the city just grade and the reason they or thier prints decided they not continue.

Here the way I see it HS couches could take short survey mid year and end of the year.  Provide the reason the wrestlers decided not to continue from a preset set of choices and one "other" with a comment section.

I think it would great for youth tournaments if the organizers or youth program coordinator could do as Padre volunteered.

I am trying to find a way to centralize the data or forms on a website. Tom?

This is the reason I suggested the WIAA for HS they are an organization dedicated towards improving the athletic expereince so why not have them keep the data base.

bulldog

It would be great for the WIAA to keep the database...they won't. When has the WIAA done anything to actually improve HS sports that they couldn't make a dime on?

imnofish

Sounds like a very interesting venture!  I agree with Ramjet that a top priority must be to protect kids' anonymity, so a "no names" policy is a must.  That being said, I also recommend going a bit further by not listing the grade; instead, list categories such as Youth, Middle School/Jr. High, and High School.  Like Ramjet, I'd also suggest hiding each program's identity.  That way, someone couldn't easily deduce the identity of a kid, based on a personal circumstance (i.e., last year's state medalist quit because of family problems and he was the only senior on your team).  List years of wrestling experience for each kid, as well as reasons why they wrestled.  That could be interesting, when paired with reasons they quit.  If you want quantifiable data, it would be easiest to offer a range of choices, with a final choice of "If other, explain here: ___________________."  Otherwise, you could have a lot of information to decipher, which could really get in the way of clarity.  If such a format was adopted, what do you think would be good choices to offer for "reason(s) I quit" and "reasons I chose to wrestle"? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bulldog

Reason I chose to quit:
1) other sport (do you list the other sport options? i.e. hockey, basketball, swimming, etc or just leave it as a loss to "other sports"?)
2) time commitment
3) Didn't like the sport (do you list reasons why? i.e. too physical, lack of organization, weekend commitments)
4) poor coaching (Not sure if I like this one...I think most coaches are doing a great job but maybe a conflict with the coach is why the kid quit)
5) Injury

That is what I come up with quickly...feel free to use or not or tweak. Hope this helps move in the right direction

bkraus

add "football coach told me to quit/not go out"  That was a big problem everywhere I coached.
Strive for Perfection

bulldog

Quote from: bkraus on October 06, 2015, 08:47:39 AM
add "football coach told me to quit/not go out"  That was a big problem everywhere I coached.

Nice addition