Rumor has it

Started by beastmode, January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 14, 2023, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 14, 2023, 01:04:08 PM
Quote from: trout1 on February 14, 2023, 12:44:49 PMCool thing with Vitto is between his time in Minnesota and Wisconsin he won at least 1 wrestling match in all 14 weight classes so for him the weight class didn't matter.

That is still one of the coolest stats in wrestling history.

That is cool...and that was the most fun I've ever had watching a HWT match.

I think that is awesome!

Vito is playing football in college in the twin cities.

He was a great QB in HS, right? He playing QB or the other side of the ball? And where at?

I believe the other side of the ball. Off hand not sure, lots of schools in st Paul.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

PAUL

I think it's cool that there are 42 state champs - 42 different paths, 42 different stories, etc.  There are some kids that you just can kinda tell will win one (or 3) at some point.  But there are others that seemingly come out of nowhere - playing basketball in 8th grade, trying to improve in football, etc.  Gaining weight, losing weight, going from 130 to 195 in 4 years, etc.  People talk about a single division or getting rid of D3 or whatever, and I get that.  But I still think at the end of the day it's awesome when a kid from some small town can win a title and he can become a semi-hero in his hometown or another kid from a bigger school wins the first title in the schools history.  Seeing what seems like an entire small town in Madison wearing the same t-shirt and pulling for a kid who may win it all or who may lose in the first round.  Things like that are what make this time of year magical.

littleguy301

Quote from: PAUL on February 15, 2023, 06:23:57 AMI think it's cool that there are 42 state champs - 42 different paths, 42 different stories, etc.  There are some kids that you just can kinda tell will win one (or 3) at some point.  But there are others that seemingly come out of nowhere - playing basketball in 8th grade, trying to improve in football, etc.  Gaining weight, losing weight, going from 130 to 195 in 4 years, etc.  People talk about a single division or getting rid of D3 or whatever, and I get that.  But I still think at the end of the day it's awesome when a kid from some small town can win a title and he can become a semi-hero in his hometown or another kid from a bigger school wins the first title in the schools history.  Seeing what seems like an entire small town in Madison wearing the same t-shirt and pulling for a kid who may win it all or who may lose in the first round.  Things like that are what make this time of year magical.

Very nice post!

I have always loved the shirts worn from a small town. Sometimes I have had to look up the town on Google maps because I didnt know where it was! Then years latter I drive through the town and remember that kid that made it to state!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Chuck

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 16, 2023, 10:42:57 PM
Quote from: PAUL on February 15, 2023, 06:23:57 AMI think it's cool that there are 42 state champs - 42 different paths, 42 different stories, etc.  There are some kids that you just can kinda tell will win one (or 3) at some point.  But there are others that seemingly come out of nowhere - playing basketball in 8th grade, trying to improve in football, etc.  Gaining weight, losing weight, going from 130 to 195 in 4 years, etc.  People talk about a single division or getting rid of D3 or whatever, and I get that.  But I still think at the end of the day it's awesome when a kid from some small town can win a title and he can become a semi-hero in his hometown or another kid from a bigger school wins the first title in the schools history.  Seeing what seems like an entire small town in Madison wearing the same t-shirt and pulling for a kid who may win it all or who may lose in the first round.  Things like that are what make this time of year magical.

Very nice post!

I have always loved the shirts worn from a small town. Sometimes I have had to look up the town on Google maps because I didnt know where it was! Then years latter I drive through the town and remember that kid that made it to state!
I wrestled in the 70s, had a future brother in law and a cousin both win state titles back then. 1 division 12 weight classes 16 man brackets, in 1977 they went to 24 man brackets. I've always liked the idea of 1 division 1 champ  but over the years have changed my mind on that. Paul your post is exactly why.

npope

Yes, you have accurately described the "magic and excitement" of such events. And while I am largely indifferent as to whether its a three-class or one-class system (I can see the perks of both), please understand that your preference puts you squarely in the "everybody gets a participation ribbon" camp. Now, personally, I don't mind that rationale - its great to spread to the love. But what I hope promoters of that three class system don't turn around and denigrate the value of "participation ribbons" - I have found numerous individuals that simply don't get what they are arguing for; its just a question as to how you package it. So, if three classes are better than one for the reasons noted above, wouldn't a five-class system be even better? What about a ten-class system? So, where does the value stop when trying to anoint more champs and state participants? I don't have that answer, but debating the principle of more participation is better than more elite participation comes with a significant philosophical question. If the sport is going to have a "pinnacle" experience why is it the state meet? Why not foist great praise beginning with sectional competition? What is so terribly special about being at state? It is just a question of broader attitudes, not really about what you call the particular level of competition.

So, again, I am not trying to start a fight but rather, simply seeking to provoke some internal thought on the matter...I don't have an answer.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Vir Fortis

Quote from: npope on February 18, 2023, 08:31:01 AM

Yes, you have accurately described the "magic and excitement" of such events. And while I am largely indifferent as to whether its a three-class or one-class system (I can see the perks of both), please understand that your preference puts you squarely in the "everybody gets a participation ribbon" camp. Now, personally, I don't mind that rationale - its great to spread to the love. But what I hope promoters of that three class system don't turn around and denigrate the value of "participation ribbons" - I have found numerous individuals that simply don't get what they are arguing for; its just a question as to how you package it. So, if three classes are better than one for the reasons noted above, wouldn't a five-class system be even better? What about a ten-class system? So, where does the value stop when trying to anoint more champs and state participants? I don't have that answer, but debating the principle of more participation is better than more elite participation comes with a significant philosophical question. If the sport is going to have a "pinnacle" experience why is it the state meet? Why not foist great praise beginning with sectional competition? What is so terribly special about being at state? It is just a question of broader attitudes, not really about what you call the particular level of competition.

So, again, I am not trying to start a fight but rather, simply seeking to provoke some internal thought on the matter...I don't have an answer.

Fair point. I believe Georgia has 7 divisions. Now exactly a Wrestling powerhouse. 7 Divisions...so it's basically like a Sectional Champ that is crowned a State Champ in Georgia. Yeah, that waters it down.

I don't have a strong opinion. I'd prefer one division for Individual but 3 for team. Celebrate team success a bit more(which is antithetical to this thread in particular).