Rumor has it

Started by beastmode, January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Numbers on February 13, 2023, 11:54:33 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 13, 2023, 11:42:50 PM
Quote from: BPfan on February 13, 2023, 12:19:05 PMMaybe I am wrong, but hasn't this type of thing been happening for a long time? Tournament time comes and people jump around and shift weight classes to give themselves and there schools a better chance at a state champion/qualifier?  Kids dropping or jumping weights when they were already studs to get a better chance to win.     The only difference is now people are linking kids together because of clubs.  I would guess a lot of these kids who shifted weights so they can win a sate championship, would have still done it even if there were not club kids.  Because at the end of the day, they still want to be a state champion.

Yes, kids moving weights so they have a better chance to win a title HAS been happening for a while.
That's not what this is. A kid jumping up 2 weights to Wrestle 220 or another doing the same to jump up to HWT so more kids from one club can win is very different.

Does anyone remember a Wrestler who DOMINATED the previous year, teching everyone...jumping up 50 pounds from the weight he wrestled the past summer to increase his chances?

So no, this really hasn't been going on. This is an outlier and unique.
Agree that having two brothers so successful at the upper weights (weight classes more than 6 pounds apart) is an outlier.

Everyone picks a weight to enter at Regionals.  Kids that go undefeated the third weekend are crowned champions.  Best of luck to everyone as they try to achieve their goals!

Yes, those two being teammates would...generally be wrestling at different weights. That is not an outlier. Brothers who weigh the same have in fact wrestled on the same team before. That is not an outlier.

I suppose their level of success is an outlier, but that'd be true either way.

But man, people are getting defensive. I never complained about this. I said this was an individual sport. As I said, not exactly Tritz going down and trying to beat Kevin Black or DeSanto coming back and trying(successfully) to beat Lee or any number of big upsets.

Lets just not pretend this is just falling in line with normal late season moving around. When does a 182 jump up to 220 so he doesn't have to Wrestle someone from his club?

THAT is the outlier, not two brothers on the same team.

statman

I guess what concerns me is the message we are sending. Ben used to be all about competition. Never run from anyone. To be the best you have to beat the best. Now it's everyone spread out so you all get state titles without having to wrestle the very best and my club looks good.
they don't call me statman for nothin

Troy Grindle

Quote from: BPfan on February 13, 2023, 12:19:05 PMMaybe I am wrong, but hasn't this type of thing been happening for a long time? Tournament time comes and people jump around and shift weight classes to give themselves and there schools a better chance at a state champion/qualifier?  Kids dropping or jumping weights when they were already studs to get a better chance to win.     The only difference is now people are linking kids together because of clubs.  I would guess a lot of these kids who shifted weights so they can win a sate championship, would have still done it even if there were not club kids.  Because at the end of the day, they still want to be a state champion.

Yes, kids moving weights so they have a better chance to win a title HAS been happening for a while.
That's not what this is. A kid jumping up 2 weights to Wrestle 220 or another doing the same to jump up to HWT so more kids from one club can win is very different.

Does anyone remember a Wrestler who DOMINATED the previous year, teching everyone...jumping up 50 pounds from the weight he wrestled the past summer to increase his chances?

It happened last year.  Vitto Massa jumped 2 weight classes for his best shot to win state.  90 lbs of weight classes.  Pretty sure he wasn't an AWA kid all the way up in River Falls.
And then there was that.

WaupuWrestling

And treated us to one of the best matches of the tournament.

bigoil

Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 14, 2023, 07:38:38 AM

It happened last year.  Vitto Massa jumped 2 weight classes for his best shot to win state.  90 lbs of weight classes.  Pretty sure he wasn't an AWA kid all the way up in River Falls.
Was he a returning state champ? State qualifier?

beastmode

No, actually Massa didn't. He wrestled 220 or 285 ALL season.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

wrastle63

Quote from: beastmode on February 14, 2023, 08:39:06 AM

No, actually Massa didn't. He wrestled 220 or 285 ALL season.
Troy come on man..... https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/seasons/MainFrame.jsp?TIM=1676387612905&twSessionId=vcqfypjuho&newSession=false&seasonId=1208593135&pageName=WrestlerMatches.jsp&wrestlerId=16848075132

Troy Grindle

Vitto may have wrestled 220 and 285 all year.  But he did weigh in at 195 for the first tournament of the year per track.  So yes, he did wrestle up two weight classes from the lightest weight class he weighed in at his senior year.

The point is kids move weight classes at the end of the year every year to win state titles.  Maybe they all thought it would be cool for them all to be in the same picture together holding their wall charts.  You know, a memory.

Does Ben say some cringe worthy stuff?  Sure does.  But this is who he has been since he was in high school.  Why are people still surprised he says controversial things? You have to give him credit.  He owns what he says.  Looking forward to the state tournament for sure.
And then there was that.

littleguy301

Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 14, 2023, 09:20:36 AMVitto may have wrestled 220 and 285 all year.  But he did weigh in at 195 for the first tournament of the year per track.  So yes, he did wrestle up two weight classes from the lightest weight class he weighed in at his senior year.

The point is kids move weight classes at the end of the year every year to win state titles.  Maybe they all thought it would be cool for them all to be in the same picture together holding their wall charts.  You know, a memory.

Does Ben say some cringe worthy stuff?  Sure does.  But this is who he has been since he was in high school.  Why are people still surprised he says controversial things? You have to give him credit.  He owns what he says.  Looking forward to the state tournament for sure.

You are correct Troy.

Honestly, Vito ate and drank alot to get over 200 at the end of the year to be able to weigh in at HWT.

Each to there own on that.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

rankwizard

This a moot topic now. Carry on. Everything is fine

trout1

Cool thing with Vitto is between his time in Minnesota and Wisconsin he won at least 1 wrestling match in all 14 weight classes so for him the weight class didn't matter.

That is still one of the coolest stats in wrestling history.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: trout1 on February 14, 2023, 12:44:49 PMCool thing with Vitto is between his time in Minnesota and Wisconsin he won at least 1 wrestling match in all 14 weight classes so for him the weight class didn't matter.

That is cool...and that was the most fun I've ever had watching a HWT match.

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 14, 2023, 01:04:08 PM
Quote from: trout1 on February 14, 2023, 12:44:49 PMCool thing with Vitto is between his time in Minnesota and Wisconsin he won at least 1 wrestling match in all 14 weight classes so for him the weight class didn't matter.

I think that is awesome!

Vito is playing football in college in the twin cities.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Vir Fortis

Vir Fortis

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 14, 2023, 01:04:08 PM

I think that is awesome!

Vito is playing football in college in the twin cities.

He was a great QB in HS, right? He playing QB or the other side of the ball? And where at?