Rumor has it

Started by beastmode, January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastmode

Quote from: Gutwrench on February 01, 2023, 12:38:24 PM
Quote from: rankwizard on February 01, 2023, 08:12:24 AMThere will be plenty of great matches at state. the AWA kids can wrestle where they see fit.

Yes, but.......

What if I'm the coach, parent, or other wrestler on the high school team having a situation where a wrestler on the high school team, who is also from a club, switches weights for regionals/sectionals/state. Now possibly it turns out that they switched weights because of an arrangement with their other club wrestler friends, that situation could easily create some very negative feelings on the local program side of things.

I know every year this happens with numerous high school teams where a kid decides to move weight classes then what they were originally at, and because of said weight class move another kid loses their spot in the varsity lineup. Happens all the time.  But if this particular rumor is true, and I've heard this rumor outside of this forum discussion about club kids arranging what weight class they are going to wrestle for the state tournament series, then I think that it's an unfortunate situation with negative ramifications at the school program level.

Great point! I'd hope and assume they ran it by their high school coach and teammates but who knows...
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

bigoil

So it wasn't a rumor, it is actually true?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 31, 2023, 01:04:35 PMThey are friends and training partners so why not let them have their fun.

Did anyone suggest they not be allowed to do so?

Sounds like it was just a question asking if there was any validity to this.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: beastmode on February 01, 2023, 12:36:18 PM
Quote from: rankwizard on February 01, 2023, 08:12:24 AMThere will be plenty of great matches at state. the AWA kids can wrestle where they see fit.

It is not wise to cry about where the young men decide to wrestle for a state title... If you want to see them wrestle each other, do as Ben says and there are videos online of them wrestling each other. It really is just a wrestling match, college style, and one guy wins. Nothing you haven't seen before. ALso, these AWA guys will be tested at state as well by the other top competitors, so cheer for em or against em as you see fit.

I guarantee you there will be still exciting matchups at state, cheer for your wrestlers in the big matches,  bring a positive attitude and enjoy the atmosphere.

It is not wise to cry about where the young men decide to wrestle for a state title... If you want to see them wrestle each other, do as Ben says and there are videos online of them wrestling each other. It really is just a wrestling match, college style, and one guy wins. Nothing you haven't seen before. ALso, these AWA guys will be tested at state as well by the other top competitors, so cheer for em or against em as you see fit.

I guarantee you there will be still exciting matchups at state, cheer for your wrestlers in the big matches,  bring a positive attitude and enjoy the atmosphere.

Didn't know I was crying  :'( ... just making a discussion.  I thought that was what this forum was all about. I have no skin in the game. If it were a Crass group, Nazar, LAw, or AWA I would be questioning the decision. We don't even know if it will happen, hence my topic headline.  I've just noticed that the new discussion on this forum has been pretty quiet, thought I would bring it up.

LOL...this is getting more and more annoying to read.

From what I could tell(maybe I'm missing the subtext) but it seemed...like you just asked if it was true they were going to try and spread out their weights so they could put together a run and have all AWA State Champs for half the weights(or whatever).

It's an interesting concept. It also makes it more likely one of these kids gets upset. There's more than one good Wrestler in each of these weight classes.

Question asking if a rumor was true just...creating discussion became an inference that someone was both upset about it and "not letting them," Wrestle at the weight class.

There is some strange sensitivity in here at times. It's like people get their backs up for...really no reason.

Wrestle where you wanna Wrestle. It's for the kids. 14(well, 42) kids will be State Champs this month. That's awesome.  If they can pick what weight they want to do it at...yeah, it won't be as fun missing some of the top matches, but they'll be plenty of good ones.

I'd like to watch Sinclair and Millard go at it but as a clever immortal man once said, "you don't always get what you want."

benaskren

LOL sometimes rumors are true :)

Vir, whatever odds you got on one of them losing I will bet it.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

bigoil

What about the kids on those teams at those weights? That's a lot of movement so club members can all win, that's not their teammates. I get they are friends but now teammates don't have a spot.

PAUL

Good for them, whatever they choose to do and as long as they can back it up then I say go for it.  They have worked and worked over the years, so more power to them and of course they will still need to wrestle matches and win.  I think they probably should be a bit cognizant of how it may affect their HS team and possibly some life-long friends and teammates, and I'm guessing they will take this into account as needed. 

npope

I would think the high school coach would be the final arbiter as to who goes where for the tournament series. While I understand some stud wrestler might hold some trump cards in these finaglings, in the end the coach determines who gets entered at a given weight. Personally, when I was a coach my decision in such situations would likely have been contingent upon a lot of variables. For example, if the kid getting squeezed out of the lineup was a senior who had paid his dues over the years and occupied a given weight for us the entire season leading up to the tournaments. Under those circumstances I might not allow the stud to simply move into that weight or even allow a wrestle-off. It's not as simple as saying "let the kids do what they want." That's why there is an adult in charge of the program.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

rankwizard

I'm pretty sure all the kids are fine about it. let em wrestle and watch the show

Vir Fortis

Quote from: benaskren on February 10, 2023, 09:06:49 AMLOL sometimes rumors are true :)

Vir, whatever odds you got on one of them losing I will bet it.

I said they go up...not that they were going to lose. Doesn't seem like a stretch. Feels like HWT may have a tougher matchup than or 195 or 220 for instance, but of course I'm not running a book or planning on betting on HS wrestling.

benaskren

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Vir Fortis

Quote from: rmk12175 on February 12, 2023, 05:48:22 AM
Quote from: benaskren on February 11, 2023, 08:10:04 PMLOL cry more

No crying here, just an opinion.  I don't have any skin in the game. I didn't have my starting spot taken from me by my own teammate and coach so said teammate could have a perceived easier path to a state title.  But if you want to diminish other peoples opinions by calling it "crying" so be it.

Yeah, that's...just small and petty.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's also Wrestling, so what are you going to say to a guy who wants to go up or down a weight class and they're the better Wrestler? And it's not as though it's a small margin, it's National Champs, elite Wrestlers.

It's not exactly in the Tritz-Black spirit or DeSanto-Lee, but it's up to them.

"Cry more" was not the response I thought you'd get from the moral authority in the Bono-Askren feud, especially when kids ARE losing their spots or their shot at state. Maybe you'd just not say anything and let the endless pursuit of self promotion speak for itself? End of the day, all that's happening here is you've got guys moving around weights so you can potentially put together a string of AWA kids. Not go to the best weights or get the best matches or do anything other than what's best for the AWA name.

And again...that's fine. Wrestling's an individual sport. I'd just say something other than "cry more" to the kids who are kinda getting screwed in this scenario.

SP

What if some of those kids were wrestling up because they couldn't beat out one of the studs and now they are able to wrestle at their natural weight. I understand it can go both ways. Maybe it takes away a spot and maybe it gives someone the best opportunity at a lower weight.

I get the team aspect but you have to remember lots of kids wrestle year round now and spend much more time training with their club team than the 3 months they do with their high school.

We all want to have Wisconsin kids competing at the national and the evolution of the clubs in Wisconsin has done that. There are growing pains in everything and this is one of those situations where people don't like the look.

Can't have it both ways. I for one love seeing Wisconsin kids compete and win on the national level and I will miss some possibly great matches to see us have success at national competitions.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

bigoil

Quote from: SP on February 12, 2023, 10:26:46 AMWhat if some of those kids were wrestling up because they couldn't beat out one of the studs and now they are able to wrestle at their natural weight. I understand it can go both ways. Maybe it takes away a spot and maybe it gives someone the best opportunity at a lower weight.

I get the team aspect but you have to remember lots of kids wrestle year round now and spend much more time training with their club team than the 3 months they do with their high school.

We all want to have Wisconsin kids competing at the national and the evolution of the clubs in Wisconsin has done that. There are growing pains in everything and this is one of those situations where people don't like the look.

Can't have it both ways. I for one love seeing Wisconsin kids compete and win on the national level and I will miss some possibly great matches to see us have success at national competitions.
Some jumped two weights, I don't think that is plausible to your speculation.

A pretty good senior looks to be  knocked out of the lineup from conference lineups and another weight was FF due to the shuffle. While this is all individual stuff, it actually may have effected the team race as wel.