Rumor has it

Started by beastmode, January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastmode

Rumor has it that some of the AWA teammates/practice partners are dodging each other to get a sequence of AWA champs.  (Div 1 160-285 for example). Is that why Mirasola is going up to hwt?  Thoughts? In my opinion, it will most definitely diminish some of the brackets should it happen.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

Ledger

Quote from: beastmode on January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AMRumor has it that some of the AWA teammates/practice partners are dodging each other to get a sequence of AWA champs.  (Div 1 160-285 for example). Is that why Mirasola is going up to hwt?  Thoughts? In my opinion, it will most definitely diminish some of the brackets should it happen.

Who would be their 220lber?

Junkyardpig

Quote from: Ledger on January 31, 2023, 10:51:34 AM
Quote from: beastmode on January 31, 2023, 09:58:56 AMRumor has it that some of the AWA teammates/practice partners are dodging each other to get a sequence of AWA champs.  (Div 1 160-285 for example). Is that why Mirasola is going up to hwt?  Thoughts? In my opinion, it will most definitely diminish some of the brackets should it happen.

Who would be their 220lber?
Sinclair

WaupuWrestling

Well last year Charlie Millard could have easily gone down and avoided Mitchell Messenbrink, but instead he embraced the challenge and we had a great finals match. Kids move weight classes all the time before regionals, not just AWA kids.

beastmode

Quote from: WaupuWrestling on January 31, 2023, 11:01:02 AMWell last year Charlie Millard could have easily gone down and avoided Mitchell Messenbrink, but instead he embraced the challenge and we had a great finals match. Kids move weight classes all the time before regionals, not just AWA kids.
I'm aware of that. Not calling them out because they are AWA kids. Just seems silly to dodge the best in the state so your club teammates can win a title, especially since most of these guys already have a state title. We will remember the likes of Millard, who challenged Messenbrink, much more than a wrestler not putting themselves up to a challenge and going after the best.
Steve Prefontaine

MCB

DocWrestling

They are friends and training partners so why not let them have their fun.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

benaskren

LOL and imagine you only have to wait 10 days to see what will happen :)

In the meantime if you want to see these matches you could watch Mulvaney vs Riddle from FS state and AWA Duals last year, Sinclair vs both Mirasolas at AWA Duals this year.  Kellen vs Bast three match ups, Scoles vs Millard 2 matches.  That should satiate your appetite for high level matches.  I am sure there are many more I am missing.

You are right it is fun to watch these guys battle in the room and push each other to higher levels.  Cant wait to see what weight they are all at for regionals.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

hornbuckleb

Quote from: benaskren on January 31, 2023, 01:16:47 PMLOL and imagine you only have to wait 10 days to see what will happen :)

In the meantime if you want to see these matches you could watch Mulvaney vs Riddle from FS state and AWA Duals last year, Sinclair vs both Mirasolas at AWA Duals this year.  Kellen vs Bast three match ups, Scoles vs Millard 2 matches.  That should satiate your appetite for high level matches.  I am sure there are many more I am missing.

You are right it is fun to watch these guys battle in the room and push each other to higher levels.  Cant wait to see what weight they are all at for regionals.

I will be honest and admit I had to look the word up. ???  ???

Satiate is often used in situations in which a thirst, craving, or need is satisfied.

;D

hornbuckleb

Quote from: hornbuckleb on January 31, 2023, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: benaskren on January 31, 2023, 01:16:47 PMLOL and imagine you only have to wait 10 days to see what will happen :)

I will be honest and admit I had to look the word up. ???  ???

Satiate is often used in situations in which a thirst, craving, or need is satisfied.

;D

The reference to appetite is very clever:

when satiate is used to describe eating, it can take on a more negative, or even disgusted, tone.

So now the question is whether Ben came up with the word or did Max?

beastmode

I've watched everyone of these matches already. I want more! Lol
Steve Prefontaine

rankwizard

There will be plenty of great matches at state. the AWA kids can wrestle where they see fit.

It is not wise to cry about where the young men decide to wrestle for a state title... If you want to see them wrestle each other, do as Ben says and there are videos online of them wrestling each other. It really is just a wrestling match, college style, and one guy wins. Nothing you haven't seen before. ALso, these AWA guys will be tested at state as well by the other top competitors, so cheer for em or against em as you see fit.

I guarantee you there will be still exciting matchups at state, cheer for your wrestlers in the big matches,  bring a positive attitude and enjoy the atmosphere.

beastmode

Quote from: rankwizard on February 01, 2023, 08:12:24 AMThere will be plenty of great matches at state. the AWA kids can wrestle where they see fit.

It is not wise to cry about where the young men decide to wrestle for a state title... If you want to see them wrestle each other, do as Ben says and there are videos online of them wrestling each other. It really is just a wrestling match, college style, and one guy wins. Nothing you haven't seen before. ALso, these AWA guys will be tested at state as well by the other top competitors, so cheer for em or against em as you see fit.

I guarantee you there will be still exciting matchups at state, cheer for your wrestlers in the big matches,  bring a positive attitude and enjoy the atmosphere.
Quote from: rankwizard on February 01, 2023, 08:12:24 AMThere will be plenty of great matches at state. the AWA kids can wrestle where they see fit.

Didn't know I was crying  :'( ... just making a discussion.  I thought that was what this forum was all about. I have no skin in the game. If it were a Crass group, Nazar, LAw, or AWA I would be questioning the decision. We don't even know if it will happen, hence my topic headline.  I've just noticed that the new discussion on this forum has been pretty quiet, thought I would bring it up.
Steve Prefontaine

Gutwrench

Yes, but.......

What if I'm the coach, parent, or other wrestler on the high school team having a situation where a wrestler on the high school team, who is also from a club, switches weights for regionals/sectionals/state. Now possibly it turns out that they switched weights because of an arrangement with their other club wrestler friends, that situation could easily create some very negative feelings on the local program side of things.

I know every year this happens with numerous high school teams where a kid decides to move weight classes then what they were originally at, and because of said weight class move another kid loses their spot in the varsity lineup. Happens all the time.  But if this particular rumor is true, and I've heard this rumor outside of this forum discussion about club kids arranging what weight class they are going to wrestle for the state tournament series, then I think that it's an unfortunate situation with negative ramifications at the school program level.

DocWrestling

That is an angle that hopefully these athletes have discussed with their HS coaches and teammates because it can affect other wrestlers.  Could affect even more if they were on teams that want a regional title to qualify for team sectionals.  Another reason why it is idiotic to start team state with a non-dual format
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!