WWF Kids Folkstyle State Championships Coliseum March 22-23

Started by TomM, March 16, 2019, 12:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sudden Death

What are some of the matches you want to see this year?

The one match up I'm excited to see is Sonnentag 03-04 State Champ last year vs Nilo 05-06 State Champ last year.

madeyson

Fun conversation - as Mr. Empey says during the grand march...the future of Wisconsin wrestling!! Will be fun to watch this group of 8th graders this week - and then during their freshman year. Here are my top 5:

- Noah Mulvaney...someone can correct me if I am wrong, do not believe he has lost a match this year, pretty clear when you watch him he has a lot of Askren training
- Brayden Sonnentag...fun to watch, aggressive and always looking to score
- Braeden Scoles...tough as nails, again very aggressive and ton of fun to watch
- Ethan Riddle...another kid that you can see has Askren training, may ask yourself "Did he really just go that?" when watching - entertaining for sure
- Corbin Ramos...comes from a great wrestling family, another tough as nails kid, won't back down from anything...he comes ready to wrestle every single time he steps on the mat, believe he was a double runner-up in freestyle and greco at Schoolboy Nationals last summer

Ok...here is my 6th - David Gauderman, the big guys don't get enough love - this kid is the real deal. Multi-sport athlete that moves really well - gonna have big impact on the WB program

There are some great wrestlers...and even better kids in this 8th grade class. Has been fun to watch them over the past few years - and really looking forward to watching their high school careers!

madeyson

Matchups that I am looking forward too:

100 - Suddeth vs O'Donnell
115 - Gorecki, Licht, Nickel, Zschernitz
125 - Blaskowski, Otis, Zvolena
145 - Mirasola, Stuggen, Ward, Willuweit (absolutely loaded weight)
150 - Mirasola (common theme:)) v Caden Young

BEAST_MODE

It will be interesting to see how the heavier weight classes compete as they enter high school. I hear that can be a difficult adjustment when you have to go up against "man strength ".
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." ~  Steve Roland "Pre" Prefontaine

OddDuck

Some big guys enjoy success as freshman. Cole Ebert did very well as a freshman at 220 in D3. I'm sure there are some others. It all depends on if they hit that certain stage in their physical development.

Thanks for all the input on top 8th graders, will keep an eye on em.

littleguy301

Quote from: BEAST_MODE on March 19, 2019, 02:29:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how the heavier weight classes compete as they enter high school. I hear that can be a difficult adjustment when you have to go up against "man strength ".

I think if you look at this year freshman upper weights you will see that there were several freshman that were at sectionals and state. actually it was shocking to me seing 9 behind names and seeing that 9 on the winners sides also, when you had alot of 11 and 12 behind that 9.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Jbsi

The heaviest freshman state qualifier for each division:

D1 220 Jaren Rohde 31-15   Beat a SR at state
D2 160 Kale Hopke  35-10    Beat a SR at state  (lets not forget about Whiting at 152!)
D3 220 Cole Ebert   39-11    Beat a JR at state

All did well given the weight and it is obvious they have matured in time to handle upper class strength, and exciting to see them battle.
There are some great 8th graders who I see doing well next year, and there are some impressive bigger 7th graders on the horizon. Going to be fun to watch!

factfinder

Quote from: Jbsi on March 20, 2019, 03:40:56 PM
The heaviest freshman state qualifier for each division:

D1 220 Jaren Rohde 31-15   Beat a SR at state
D2 160 Kale Hopke  35-10    Beat a SR at state  (lets not forget about Whiting at 152!)
D3 220 Cole Ebert   39-11    Beat a JR at state

All did well given the weight and it is obvious they have matured in time to handle upper class strength, and exciting to see them battle.
There are some great 8th graders who I see doing well next year, and there are some impressive bigger 7th graders on the horizon. Going to be fun to watch!
What does this have to do with 8th graders? Really a 9th grader beat a SR?? Happens a lot!!!

tyben

04-05' Picks
80-Bast
85-Dux
90-Worachek/Koenig
95-Spurley/Dessellier/Flege
100-O'Donnel/Suddeth/Hart
105-Nilo/Sonnentag/Cooper
110-Clark/Roth/Riley
115-Licht/Zschernitz/Eliszewski
120-Back/Ramos
125-Blaskowski/Zvolena/Bieber
130-Riddle/Heiser/Franklin
135-Niday/Goebel/
140-Scoles/Kauffman
145-Stutgen/Ward/Wiluweit
150-Mirsola/Young
160-Mulvany/Roy/Polzin
175-Hopke/Otto
190-Hoffman/Shackleton
210-Gauderman/Thompson/Stroede
240-Empey/Paulson
270-Lawerence
270+Bartelt

Got Doubles

Quote from: tyben on March 20, 2019, 09:28:18 PM
04-05' Picks
80-Bast
85-Dux
90-Worachek/Koenig
110-Clark/Roth/Riley
120-Back/Ramos
135-Niday/Goebel/
140-Scoles/Kauffman
150-Mirsola/Young
160-Mulvany/Roy/Polzin
175-Hopke/Otto
190-Hoffman/Shackleton
240-Empey/Paulson
270-Lawerence
270+Bartelt

Great list, what weight class is the toughest in your opinion?

madeyson

Quote from: Got Doubles on March 21, 2019, 02:31:11 PM
Quote from: tyben on March 20, 2019, 09:28:18 PM
04-05' Picks
80-Bast
85-Dux
90-Worachek/Koenig
110-Clark/Roth/Riley
120-Back/Ramos
135-Niday/Goebel/
140-Scoles/Kauffman
150-Mirsola/Young
160-Mulvany/Roy/Polzin
175-Hopke/Otto
190-Hoffman/Shackleton
240-Empey/Paulson
270-Lawerence
270+Bartelt

Great list, what weight class is the toughest in your opinion?

115 or 145

ramjet

I can tell you one young lady that is a total beast that is Caitlyn Kelley. Recently she cleaned out the girls 106 division a the WWF girls State tournamanet including several upperclassman. Took 6th at Dominate the Dells in a tough bracket.  It would have been fun to see her wrestle this weekend at 106 or the 100 boys division she would have made some noise. She is tough and strong and has work ethic second to none. That young lady works out with Suples training equipment and does the Suples Spin with a 44# Bulgarian Bag  :o almost half her weight.....

Ryan Roy wrestling up at 160 is a tough hard working wrestler that has put allot of time in and trained hard since last summer.

Let's face it there are several tough wrestlers coming out the Crass Trained Club as well. Good luck to all the young men and ladies at the tournamament.

wrastle63

Quote from: ramjet on March 22, 2019, 08:13:50 AM
I can tell you one young lady that is a total beast that is Caitlyn Kelley. Recently she cleaned out the girls 106 division a the WWF girls State tournamanet including several upperclassman. Took 6th at Dominate the Dells in a tough bracket.  It would have been fun to see her wrestle this weekend at 106 or the 100 boys division she would have made some noise. She is tough and strong and has work ethic second to none. That young lady works out with Suples training equipment and does the Suples Spin with a 44# Bulgarian Bag  :o almost half her weight.....

Ryan Roy wrestling up at 160 is a tough hard working wrestler that has put allot of time in and trained hard since last summer.

Let's face it there are several tough wrestlers coming out the Crass Trained Club as well. Good luck to all the young men and ladies at the tournamament.
Let's face it there are a lot of tough wrestlers coming out of a lot of teams.

ramjet

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 22, 2019, 04:47:07 PM
Quote from: ramjet on March 22, 2019, 08:13:50 AM

Let's face it there are a lot of tough wrestlers coming out of a lot of teams.

Sorry if mentioning Crass and that offends you and yes lots of good wrestlers ...... but as I said Caitlyn Kelley great job today wrestling tough and taking the championship home....💪

Got Doubles

Congrats to all the State Champions....Now that the State Tournament is over, what were some you the great matches you watched or any surprises that you saw..Also like to know now who the Top 8th graders in your mind are...

One for me was how good 145 Jacob Ward (Bayport) looked in the finals against another tough wrestler in Konner Stuttgen.

110 Greyson Clark (Kaukauna) winning another title and look very good during the entire tournament.

160 Noah Mulvaney (Arrowhead) had no problems winning another state title and it will be interesting to see how he does on the next level

140 Braeden Scoles (Kewaskum) looked very good and it was the 1st time I saw him wrestle and I think he will be very competitive next season

120 Corbin Ramos (Kenosha)is very aggressive and strong wrestler, I loved watching the match against Back.  If you like to see a couple throws with some good scrambles go onto track wrestling and watch that match.

105 Royce Nilo (Milton) this wrestler likes to attack and seems to be moving all the time.  He look very good in his finals victory against a very good wrestler in Brayden Sonnentag (Cadott) .