D2 Sectional Imbalance Redux

Started by FoldEmUp, February 26, 2019, 02:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: ramjet on February 27, 2019, 07:59:22 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 27, 2019, 07:22:41 AM
Quote from: ramjet on February 26, 2019, 06:48:28 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 26, 2019, 04:52:48 PM
Here's another way of looking at it:  Do all geographic areas have the same depth of talent, on an annual basis?  If not, then how do you propose the WIAA fixes that imbalance?

Certainly not easy or simple. However sending wrestlers who are not ready for high level of those Sectionals talent pool is a total injustice to those who can compete but get left out because of the Regional structure.

It's really not geographic when you have teams from western or west central Wisconsin traveling long distances to be in the Bonduel Sectional. It can and should be restructured.

If there is a will there is a way but I do not think there is a will to try.

What teams from the western part of the state are traveling to Bonduel? Pittsville is the geographical center of the state. I can't think of any teams west of there going to Bonduel.

West central look at travel time Stratford to Bonduel . Why the geographic locations and placement may be blue to be tweeked so you are not stacking a sectional so to speak.

One hour and 34 minutes from Stratford to Bonduel. Chequamegon traveled 3 hours to get to the Independence sectional.

Houndhead

Not to many years ago, Tomahawk, Mosinee, Auburndale(when they were D2) and Wittenberg/Birmanwood(D2) all went to the NW sectional. I think Nekoosa did also.

Coach V

A start to the fix- seed top 8 teams in the sectional in the 4 regionals. Then go geographical if they want to say travel matters, which its shouldn't . We all travel all year round. They seed every other sport. Start with that. Let's see what you guys think about that. I have some other ideas. ;)
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

CRaTR

Quote from: Jimmy on February 26, 2019, 02:25:47 PM
Assuming the third placer from valders or any other regional would place is laughable. The goal is to crown a champion , the system does that. Get over it!

No, it's not just about a champion. I think the honor of making it to State is an accomplishment and a number of kids are denied with things the way they are. Every year we have kids that are likely top three in the sectional but unfortunately also third place at the regional. And there are plenty of kids at the "other" sectional who get to make the trip to Madison that wouldn't have been able to beat some of the third place guys at the regional in question.

shouldvewrestled

Simple solution.  Create 2 state tournaments. 

1. NE D2/D3 state tournament so all their boys can get there.
2. Rest of the state.

bigoil

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 27, 2019, 03:48:11 PM

2. Rest of the state.
Salty much?

ramjet

Quote from: Houndhead on February 27, 2019, 11:28:55 AM
Here's another way of looking at it:  Do all geographic areas have the same depth of talent, on an annual basis?  If not, then how do you propose the WIAA fixes that imbalance?

Certainly not easy or simple. However sending wrestlers who are not ready for high level of those Sectionals talent pool is a total injustice to those who can compete but get left out because of the Regional structure.

It's really not geographic when you have teams from western or west central Wisconsin traveling long distances to be in the Bonduel Sectional. It can and should be restructured.

What teams from the western part of the state are traveling to Bonduel? Pittsville is the geographical center of the state. I can't think of any teams west of there going to Bonduel.

West central look at travel time Stratford to Bonduel . Why the geographic locations and placement may be blue to be tweeked so you are not stacking a sectional so to speak.

One hour and 34 minutes from Stratford to Bonduel. Chequamegon traveled 3 hours to get to the Independence sectional.

How far is Stratford from the other sectionals?

Jimmy

Shouldof, you took the words right outta my mouth, ? for you, would you crown 2 team champs or just mail the one to the northeast champion?

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: bigoil on February 27, 2019, 04:09:19 PM

2. Rest of the state.
Salty much?
Me salty? No, I'm not the one whining about this topic in 75 threads yearly.

I've said it before the NE is a great area for WI wrestling, probably the best. That doesn't mean they should just get 7 guys to state from every weight. The state tournament is about crowning a champion. They give medals out to other places yes, but the goal is to find the champion. If you got 3rd at regionals or 4th at sectionals, you had your chance vs your areas competition. The other area kids work hard too and CARE about making that trip just as much as the NE, and to come on here and say they aren't deserving because they're from the "other" sectionals is just wrong.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: Jimmy on February 27, 2019, 04:18:45 PM
Shouldof, you took the words right outta my mouth, ? for you, would you crown 2 team champs or just mail the one to the northeast champion?
Their 3rd place regionals kids and 4th place sectionals kids deserve their state shots so their teams can rewrestle sectionals again too.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: bigoil on February 27, 2019, 08:56:39 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 27, 2019, 08:37:52 AM
Stratford could go northwest or southwest as well to balance sectionals.
10 more kids in the school and they will be in the Wrightstown Sectional. Might be a stretch to get them in the Valders regional though.
Big oil, Can you just imagine the salty posts when that happens. Wiaa should put them in Valders just to get this site more hits.

FoldEmUp

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 27, 2019, 04:39:47 PM
Quote from: bigoil on February 27, 2019, 04:09:19 PM

2. Rest of the state.
Salty much?
Me salty? No, I'm not the one whining about this topic in 75 threads yearly.

I've said it before the NE is a great area for WI wrestling, probably the best. That doesn't mean they should just get 7 guys to state from every weight. The state tournament is about crowning a champion. They give medals out to other places yes, but the goal is to find the champion. If you got 3rd at regionals or 4th at sectionals, you had your chance vs your areas competition. The other area kids work hard too and CARE about making that trip just as much as the NE, and to come on here and say they aren't deserving because they're from the "other" sectionals is just wrong.

So they aren't the best wrestlers but because they work hard and CARE they should make it?  If I work hard and care but don't get the job done I get fired.  The best wrestlers don't make it to state right now because we value geography only as opposed to aligning things to so as many of the best kids as possible make it to state.

Houndhead

Quote from: ramjet on February 27, 2019, 04:14:32 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 27, 2019, 11:28:55 AM

How far is Stratford from the other sectionals?

One hour and fifty three minutes to Independence.

DocWrestling

This is why the WIAA has such difficult for WIAA to make changes whether it is changing regionals or conferences.  There is always a lack of parity and some kids are getting screwed from the state tournament experience in NE Wisconsin and thus others are getting a much easier path.  Those with the easier path or benefits of geography will fight this to the end.  Tough for everyone to look out for the good of the sport.  Many other sports have made that change with seeding and caring less about geography but wrestling always seems to be the last to react.  The same issues with D3 regionals in the North where they barely get enough wrestlers but those schools with the benefit love it
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imnofish

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 28, 2019, 07:39:20 AM

This is why the WIAA has such difficult for WIAA to make changes whether it is changing regionals or conferences.  There is always a lack of parity and some kids are getting screwed from the state tournament experience in NE Wisconsin and thus others are getting a much easier path.  Those with the easier path or benefits of geography will fight this to the end.  Tough for everyone to look out for the good of the sport.  Many other sports have made that change with seeding and caring less about geography but wrestling always seems to be the last to react.  The same issues with D3 regionals in the North where they barely get enough wrestlers but those schools with the benefit love it
It seems to me that what advocates are really promoting is effectively seeding the entire state, prior to Regionals.  Reality is that plenty of kids from the "lesser" areas of the state defeat those from the "preferred" areas.  To what extent is it fair to engineer the entire state tournament series with the express purpose of advancing more kids from a particular region?  Has anyone considered the potential impact on the sport elsewhere?  Sorry, but there will be fluctuations, over time.  Some individual regional and sectional brackets will always be loaded, regardless of geography.  Outcomes will not be guaranteed.  What should we do, seed each weight class statewide and reassign individual wrestlers accordingly?  You can't consistently engineer outcomes, without harming the sport, in my opinion.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!