Challenge Series

Started by Quack, January 21, 2016, 10:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quack

Maybe this,was already discussed. I was trying to look at the brackets for this weekend and noticed none were released. I am wondering why? We release brackets for Sectionals and State, why not this tourney?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

DocWrestling

They are likely still confirming attendance and filling spots for those that are not or could not attend
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Quack

Why would coaches take their kids to wrestle in the qualifier, if they had no plans on attending this?

DocWrestling

Quote from: Quack on January 21, 2016, 11:20:16 AM
Why would coaches take their kids to wrestle in the qualifier, if they had no plans on attending this?

Not sure but I know we have one wrestler that is now out injured and will not be attending.  The other 6 will be attending.

Other reasons possibly...
Some are varsity reserve wrestlers and I think they need to watch how many events they attend.  The qualifier and the state tourney count as two events.  For some wrestlers that wrestled in JV tourneys and varsity tourneys, they may be out of events if they plan to wrestle at JV/Varsity conference or even at regionals.

Hoping in the future that the WIAA will approve the qualifier and state tourney as one event.

Others have to find a coach and logistics especially if they only qualify 1-2 wrestlers or if the varsity is wrestling somewhere else.

Quack

The State tourney is released before hand, and if changes need to be made then they are just made. As far as needing to figure out the other things you listed, again the coaches new about this when they entered thier kids. This isn't youth wrestling. And if I remember right that is even released by now. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would like to see who these kids are and where they are from.

uwgrappler

Does anyone know if they get an extra pound on Saturday?

joeski

According to my son, they do, but he is under scratch weight so he might just be hungry.

littleguy301

Quote from: Quack on January 21, 2016, 11:20:16 AM

Not sure of what school have for policies but I will say a couple of things

1. could be lack of coaches due to the varsity has a meet.
2. a varsity wrestler fell ill and JV had to step in.
3. no budget or lack of school rig to get that wrestler there.
4. impending weather
5. AD didnt book it or over looked it (sadly this does happen)
6. could be no school and families book vacations
7. prior engagements like band, play or some school function
8. church or other volunteer situations

Not sure if these are valid but I know I have heard a few of them so just not off the top of my head.

Also they DO get 1 extra pound for the meet. Due to the fact that some teams are wrestling the next before there WILL be another pound added so 106 can weight 109. 12/25 +2 and meet the night before +1. Each classes get that extra pounds.

Though not sure if I make the weight, can you Quack ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Quack

LG, I can make weight for about 3 weight classes at once. I read your excuses, all of which should have been thought of, except the varsity kid getting hurt, before they wrestled in the qualifier. Don't you agree? But it still doesn't explain why the brackets aren't up.

littleguy301

Quote from: Quack on January 22, 2016, 11:15:47 AM
LG, I can make weight for about 3 weight classes at once. I read your excuses, all of which should have been thought of, except the varsity kid getting hurt, before they wrestled in the qualifier. Don't you agree? But it still doesn't explain why the brackets aren't up.

I agree with you on that. I liken it to youth regionals, I know as a team we have entered a kid into regionals full well knowing if they quailified for state they would not be going due to some reason or another.

I believe it is up to the coach and team what they feel is the best for the wrestler. I know of 1 team that did not send any to the challenge series because they had a big meet that day and wouldnt have coaches and their kids would be wrestling in their own JV meet. I believe you should get your kids in that tournament for matches, if they cannt go to the state meet than some other kid gets the chance, that is why you wrestle the matches.

I remember back in the day, when there was no trackwrestling, you just had to walk out on the mat and wrestle the kid in front of you. I have no problem if the brackets arent up, I told our kid just get ready for wrestling all day and who ever walks out there in front of you be prepared to wrestle!

I also perfer that kids dont know, sometimes they see a certain kid in their bracket and already figured they will not will so they have this settling moment that I dont like!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Quack

I see they are up now, except for the girls, but not sure how they are handling them

woody53

Quote from: Quack on January 22, 2016, 02:25:38 PM
I see they are up now, except for the girls, but not sure how they are handling them

They have been up since 5:00 pm on Thursday. I think they are trying to figure out Round Robin vs Bracket for the Ladies. They are contacting the Coaches for that I believe.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

DocWrestling

Awesome to see 115 teams represented

Quack

DocWrestling

At 170 Isaac Hagenbucher is listed as from Fond du Lac.  He is from DC Everest